Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Argentina v Croatia

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Called it before the World Cup.

People too busy looking at the front line to look at the rest of the team which is trash.

All the experts in the know said the same as you.

It was only a few lazy BBC / ITV commentators, who very boringly tried to turn this WC into a shoot out between Messi and Ronaldo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

People too busy looking at the front line to look at the rest of the team which is trash.

You did indeed, and I was in full agreement - they were way too short at the bookies before the competition. Additionally, I believe I called their dogshit goalkeepers might prove an issue. :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

That 6-1 thrashing to Spain in March set alarm bells ringing and also only just qualifying.

Good call. Hope you had some money on them to lose in the group stage. Looks a formality now. :thumbsup:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mexico v Germany was beautiful to savour.

Oh agreed but Argentina were annihilated and look to be going out, in what looked like, a home game. ** (and I did miss most of the Germany game as I was at a family birthday bash)

** I will probably change my mind if Sweden do the same to Germany in the next game. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyway, enough about Argentina - the fact is that Croatia could win this competition because it is as wide open as I can remember a World Cup ever being. They have Mandzukic, Rakatic and of course Luka Modric, they are incredibly well organised and are getting more than the sum of their parts from that team. Players like Lovren and particularly Vida look far better than ordinary in that side. I can't believe they finished below Iceland in qualifying.

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Anyway, enough about Argentina - the fact that is that Croatia could win this competition because it is as wide open as I can remember a World Cup ever being. They have Mandzukic, Rakatic and of course Luka Modric, they are incredibly well organised and are getting more than the sum of their parts from that team. Players like Lovren and particularly Vida look far better than ordinary in that side. I can't believe they finished below Iceland in qualifying.

I was thinking the same - and you know what, it would be fab if they did. A small country beating the big boys.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Nigeria may ask Argentina what score they want and then ask for their personal bank details, allegedly. :)

1444807980.png

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Anyway, enough about Argentina - the fact is that Croatia could win this competition because it is as wide open as I can remember a World Cup ever being. They have Mandzukic, Rakatic and of course Luka Modric, they are incredibly well organised and are getting more than the sum of their parts from that team. Players like Lovren and particularly Vida look far better than ordinary in that side. I can't believe they finished below Iceland in qualifying.

Absolutely ! Croatia played as a team and their midfield dominated today . I hadn't rated Modric that highly until today but he was brilliant , his range of passing cut Argentina apart .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No of course not, but as England fans surely we recognise what we are seeing from this embarrassment of an Argentine side. Good players picked out of position with no tactical plan. Argentina ceded the midfield to a team featuring arguably the best central midfielders in this World Cup. They played three at the back when they do not have wing backs in the squad. Then players freezing under the pressure from back home. Pretty sure I have seen this story in most recent tournaments from England.

The midfield domination is a good call and I agree that Croatia probably have the best combination in the tournament. And let's not argue about little things on such a glorious night :lolol:

I think my clumsy, three pints down, point is that no matter what happens with team selection there were errors tonight that were so uncharacteristically Argentinian (and as you point out we've seen it in our own team). If the final policy of a calamitous campaign is to select the "best" players for the sake of it then those players looked technically inept tonight.

Believe it or not I backed the Argies to win as part of a treble today because I got evens on them. That, to me, was basically a 50/50 shout on Messi winning it by himself or not. I thought they represented value - the Argentina of yesteryear would have been long odds on against Croatia. I'm absolutely delighted to have been done at the post. I’d never have backed them for the tournament. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says they were stupidly short given their qualifying.

If they've any sense they'll use this as an opportunity for a massive clear out

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I know it's a late post to the party but hey ho...

Why do I feel such joy at the humiliation of Argentina? I thoroughly enjoyed that game and result.

:vuvu:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know it's a late post to the party but hey ho...

Why do I feel such joy at the humiliation of Argentina? I thoroughly enjoyed that game and result.

:vuvu:

I'm late too having only just finished watching. We feel joy because Argentina are, and always have been, a nasty cynical football team, and bad losers.

I'm now imagining their manager doing a Pops from The League of Gentlemen in the dressing room after the game :lolol: The prick wouldn't even shake hands with the Croatian manager at the end :tosser:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here