Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Final run before Brighton Half. 4 miles easy with a few strides and pickups thrown in. Going to foam roll my fairly sore calves and do some core work before Sunday but no more running. Off to the snow thread now to get a proper weather forecast.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I've been laid low with a chest infection and only been to the docs today when I got some antibiotics. Not run since a week past Sunday when I did a (very slow) 10k as I was coughing and spluttering then. I was assuming I'd be well past it by now and raring to go for the Brighton Half.

Anyway I'm coming down on Saturday and my brother has got me a ticket for the Swansea game so even if I can't run on Sunday it's not been a total waste of time! Will be gutted if I can't do the run though.

P.S. Looks like it's going to be a cold one!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What will we mostly be wearing over the next week?

Brighton Half runners will be facing a freezing start (wearing old tops or bin bags over running gear that can be thrown away at start?) and a cold 2 degrees max running temperature with a steady North Easterly wind to run into for the last 3 miles.

As a wet, sweaty runner at any pace or temperature I'll have to adapt for Sunday's 20 miler. First I'll run the course back to front to try and minimize the wind hitting me for the last 6 miles. Secondly a wind proof jacket that can be zipped open for my sweaty ascents and zipped up for the descents into the wind. Double gloves. Jelly babies. Fold up water container for the taps.Tissue for my tears. No hanging around watching our brave half runners before hand. Bowl of piping hot chicken soup on return whilst running a hot bath. Followed by stretching in front of a blazing fire. Then relax.

Enjoy yourselves everyone!

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
BBC weather has temp as 0deg at the start on Sunday, but feels like -5 with the wind. Hurrah!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I still haven't decided a strategy for Brighton HM. I have been aching since Worthing and have an occasional sharp pain running through the top of my right foot for some reason. It's only really in the last couple of days that I've felt able to run anywhere near my normal level. So with other events coming up and a headwind to finish my head is saying use Brighton as a training run and do it a few minutes off race pace. That guarantees I don't write off another two weeks trying to get over it. On the other hand, my heart wants to get carried away on the day and find myself at the 5k mark in 21 minutes and ready to go for it. The one thing I don't want to do is finish just over my 1:31:20 from Worthing. I want either a PB attempt or a comfortable 1:36/1:37 that won't leave me broken for the next week. I'll decide after parkrun.

15 minutes of ice pack every couple of hours. Ibuprofen but not before running. Maybe loosen/readjust your laces.
You could go out fast Sunday and drop back if you realise it is not going to happen. Problem is you won't be in the right mindset then with adrenaline pumping at the start. I know what I would do but I'm an old git with a creaky body.
23" plus Parkrun. Good luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No half marathon for me. Haven't got the legs for it as half way through my planned 5,000' week with 3 weeks 2 days for the Moyleman marathon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No half marathon for me. Haven't got the legs for it as half way through my planned 5,000' week with 3 weeks 2 days for the Moyleman marathon.

Is that how close it is? Blimey! Looking forward to the pizza and beer already :drool::cheers:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sounds ominous. You can edit your own SB and push me further downwards. It is your table after all. Good luck.

I'm hoping that the cold snap will have solidified the boggier parts of Stoke Park enabling something approaching one of my more normal times... I expect you're praying for a sudden downpour over Guildford though! :p

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is that how close it is? Blimey! Looking forward to the pizza and beer already :drool::cheers:

:cheers: Stopped drinking on January 9th. It's awful I wake up with a headache every morning now.That pint of Harvey's will be my first alcoholic drink for however many days that is. No way am I not finishing the Moyleman. A few more, some red wine and then back on the wagon till Brighton Marathon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What will we mostly be wearing over the next week?

Brighton Half runners will be facing a freezing start (wearing old tops or bin bags over running gear that can be thrown away at start?) and a cold 2 degrees max running temperature with a steady North Easterly wind to run into for the last 3 miles.

As a wet, sweaty runner at any pace or temperature I'll have to adapt for Sunday's 20 miler. First I'll run the course back to front to try and minimize the wind hitting me for the last 6 miles. Secondly a wind proof jacket that can be zipped open for my sweaty ascents and zipped up for the descents into the wind. Double gloves. Jelly babies. Fold up water container for the taps.Tissue for my tears. No hanging around watching our brave half runners before hand. Bowl of piping hot chicken soup on return whilst running a hot bath. Followed by stretching in front of a blazing fire. Then relax.

Enjoy yourselves everyone!

I've got my outfit all planned :safeway:

Been to one of Boundary Road's many charity shops and picked up a thick sweatshirt for wearing to the start line and dumping. £2 on a beanie from the same place - will also get dumped en route if I get too sweaty. I have a technical base layer from my days of football coaching so it's that under my REMF race t-shirt for the race with the blue home shorts and long socks. 2 pairs of gloves, again the top pair being ones I don't mind getting rid of. Gels in man pouch. Water only from race stations. Sorted.

Post race am getting bag as fast as poss and heading to Murmur for three courses and as much red wine as I can fit in the beach ball.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:cheers: Stopped drinking on January 9th. It's awful I wake up with a headache every morning now.That pint of Harvey's will be my first alcoholic drink for however many days that is. No way am I not finishing the Moyleman. A few more, some red wine and then back on the wagon till Brighton Marathon.

I haven't knocked the booze on the head, but I have stopped EATING as much, which means I should be closer to 13st than 15st. You'll finished it – I finished it last year pretty much on one leg and there were still LOADS of people behind me.

I've got my outfit all planned :safeway:

Been to one of Boundary Road's many charity shops and picked up a thick sweatshirt for wearing to the start line and dumping. £2 on a beanie from the same place - will also get dumped en route if I get too sweaty. I have a technical base layer from my days of football coaching so it's that under my REMF race t-shirt for the race with the blue home shorts and long socks. 2 pairs of gloves, again the top pair being ones I don't mind getting rid of. Gels in man pouch. Water only from race stations. Sorted.

Post race am getting bag as fast as poss and heading to Murmur for three courses and as much red wine as I can fit in the beach ball.

Normal clobber for me (two layers top and bottom; one pair of gloves and hat), plus hydration vest that I can carry all the associated things (including water) and fill with the medal and other crap for the run home...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You’ll finish, no worries. Similar field to Three Forts, will be several finishers MILES behind you. Save a bit of gas for mile 24 (ish), it caught me out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Will Ice be a problem?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hopefully no sheet ice - don't think any rain is forecast between now and the start so that should be ok.

As noted elsewhere in this thread I am an early morning running and have run after a thick frost numerous times. I've never slipped personally and I have terrible balance so I'm putting that down to the grip on the running shoes. As soon as I've got to popular running spots on days like that - i.e. the seafront - the frost has been melted by the numerous feet tramping on it. I'd hope for the same on the half - the leaders hopefully melting any big patches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here