Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Night of the Proms

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No, there is no mandate for the government to do what it wants.

The whole farce was not properly legislated. No considerations were written into the Bill (which enacted the Referendum - itself a non-binding vote) in the event of a choice to leave.

They are, in effect, making this up as they go along, and Parliament - quite rightly - wants to hold the government to account for all it is doing. Sadly, the current administration wishes to introduce (with no vote in the Commons) procedure which will ride roughshod over Parliament - which is the very thing you and most Leave voters wanted to ensure DIDN'T happen in future.

In other words, you wished for Parliament to be sovereign. Now you're saying that, considering what they're doing, you no longer wish for this to be the case. So which is it? Do you want Parliament to be sovereign or not?

Yes it was, actually - it was voted for and approved by Parliament. Sorry if that pricks your balloon, but doubtless you will ignore or deny it (in your next post, at a guess).

Yes, I should hope they are - there is no precedent or laid-down formula to follow, so that is their job.

On the one hand you insist the Government doesn't know what it's doing, but you do know. That is very impressive...............

.......but not nearly as impressive as your laughable claim to know what peoplewsere or are thinking. Millions just disagreed with you - that's all you actually know.

By "making it up as they go along", I think the Large One probably meant that they do not have a plan and have not got the faintest idea of where to start, whereas theh EU people we are dealing with seem to have much more idea. Some expression about organising wild parties in breweries springs to mind. There are other people on all sides in parliament who accept that BREXIT has got to happen, but who have much more of an idea, even a vision ,of what should come out of it.

If you think that 52% of the people voted for precisely for precisely what is going on at the moment, you are deluded. There were obviously people at one extreme who voted BREXIT who expected that anyone of slightly foreign origin would be deported the following week. At the other extreme, I know someone who decided to "teach his leader (i.e. Cameron) a lesson" as a protest vote. Plenty of others just vaguely thought it was a good idea.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Personally I can't stand the last Night of the Proms, and have never been able to do so. I have no problem with the music whatever, It's watching grown men and women (but mostly men) act like total t0ssers that gets me. I am Oxford educated, and it reminds me of some of what went on there on occasion with people who should know better. I would really like to go to a prom and I will one day, but I would avoid the Last Night like the Plague.

And my wife, sitting watching it last night waiting for MOTD, was making exactly the same comments. She was not at Oxford. She ended up turning it over and watching a bit of Inspector Montalbano, which is also fairly rubbish, but at least the scenery is nice.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I found it quite ironic that people were waving the EU flag whilst singing Land of Hope and Glory, Rule Britannia etc. Did they not think this through?

Try broadening your horizons.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That is where we disagree as I believe the people said get us out of Europe how you do it up to you other political parties should have no say in what TM and her party decide to do and will get the opportunity to vote after it has been done if they so wish. It should not be debated in parliament with them having any input, let her stand or fall by the decisions that she makes.

Plenty of people in her own party don't agree with what she is doing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By "making it up as they go along", I think the Large One probably meant that they do not have a plan and have not got the faintest idea of where to start, whereas theh EU people we are dealing with seem to have much more idea. Some expression about organising wild parties in breweries springs to mind. There are other people on all sides in parliament who accept that BREXIT has got to happen, but who have much more of an idea, even a vision ,of what should come out of it.

If you think that 52% of the people voted for precisely for precisely what is going on at the moment, you are deluded. There were obviously people at one extreme who voted BREXIT who expected that anyone of slightly foreign origin would be deported the following week. At the other extreme, I know someone who decided to "teach his leader (i.e. Cameron) a lesson" as a protest vote. Plenty of others just vaguely thought it was a good idea.
Don't basically disagree with a lot of what you say. Yes, the current lot in power aren't the best ever; no question about that. However, they are trying to do a job for which there is no precedent, and which probably none of them ever expected they'd have to do. Add to that the fact that some of them would much rather the vote had gone the other way, but are now having to struggle to carry something through which in their heart of hearts they don't really want.

I don't dispute your view that people voted Brexit for different reasons - but what I think is a common factor is that none of us knew exactly how it would come about, just that we wanted to have no part of a horrible, corrupt EU. Pretty much the same as remain MPs really - some genuinely believe Britain would be better in Europe, others just want to ensure their gravy train doesn't hit the buffers. There are more able politicians out there than the lot running the country and handling Brexit at the moment (although in many cases you could substitute 'slimy' for 'able') - trouble is, most of them think that Blair is a wonderful man trying to overturn the Brexit vote, and would do just that if they could!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Britannia does not rule the waves any longer, and as for land of hope and glory?

Still, its a bit of fun when thinking of the past, and a sing song with a few drinks.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm
Don't basically disagree with a lot of what you say. Yes, the current lot in power aren't the best ever; no question about that. However, they are trying to do a job for which there is no precedent, and which probably none of them ever expected they'd have to do. Add to that the fact that some of them would much rather the vote had gone the other way, but are now having to struggle to carry something through which in their heart of hearts they don't really want.

I don't dispute your view that people voted Brexit for different reasons - but what I think is a common factor is that none of us knew exactly how it would come about, just that we wanted to have no part of a horrible, corrupt EU. Pretty much the same as remain MPs really - some genuinely believe Britain would be better in Europe, others just want to ensure their gravy train doesn't hit the buffers. There are more able politicians out there than the lot running the country and handling Brexit at the moment (although in many cases you could substitute 'slimy' for 'able') - trouble is, most of them think that Blair is a wonderful man trying to overturn the Brexit vote, and would do just that if they could!

I am sure there is plenty of corruption in the EU, but if you think all is sweetness and light in the UK, you'll be sadly mistaken. I love Private Eye for the humour - but the best part (albeit truly shocking at times) is their reporting of the horrendous corruption going on in various British corridors of power. Hopefully you didn't vote Leave to rid yourself of corruption....

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Frustrated pressure groups will always seize a platform somewhere if they can.

No. I meant you bunch of boring wankers turning everything into a biggest dick contest about politics.

In. Out. Shake it all about. Tedious as ****.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. I meant you bunch of boring wankers turning everything into a biggest dick contest about politics.

In. Out. Shake it all about. Tedious as ****.

Think you've missed your target there, mate. Was criticising those same wankers myself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm

I am sure there is plenty of corruption in the EU, but if you think all is sweetness and light in the UK, you'll be sadly mistaken. I love Private Eye for the humour - but the best part (albeit truly shocking at times) is their reporting of the horrendous corruption going on in various British corridors of power. Hopefully you didn't vote Leave to rid yourself of corruption....
No, and I didn't vote leave to get rid of coloured people or to ruin my childrens' futures either. Just for the record, like. Yes, there's a lot wrong in British politics, but that won't be cured by, and doesn't make a good reason for, staying in the EU. Two wrongs don't make........and all that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Firstly, sorry if I've thumbs downed - didn't intend to.

Always happy to see people who don't see it all as black and white.

There's an interesting analysis in the Observer today which lists all the different approaches to brexit amongst MPs. It reckons there are only a relatively small number (50?) of MPs who would work on the basis of realistically expecting it or trying for it not to happen.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think we should be a free and independent global trading nation, is that broad enough for you?

I meant mainly around accepting that people could be both patriotic British and interested in and supportive of Europe.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I meant mainly around accepting that people could be both patriotic British and interested in and supportive of Europe.

Interesting. The concept of willing subjugation to an undemocratic German ruled European Union tied with patriotism that celebrates National state and sovereignty comes across as a little hypocritical.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm

I don't know if there is something wrong here, but I was trying to thumbs up, and it's gone "down" instead - apologies.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Interesting. The concept of willing subjugation to an undemocratic German ruled European Union tied with patriotism that celebrates National state and sovereignty comes across as a little hypocritical.

Any comment [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] ?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Pro-Remain people / organisations stand outside the Royal Albert Hall and hand out free EU flags before the Last Night of the Proms. They did this last year too.

Of course, people have to be minded to accept them and wave them, but this is why a disproportionate number is seen in the Hall as opposed to other venues across the UK. Plus many of the people on the floor of the hall are undergraduates from across the EU, studying in the UK - particularly Oxford and Cambridge. It was noticeable that the EU flags were only on the floor and not in the boxes. And of course, non-existent in Hyde Park, Cardiff or N Ireland.

Sure, the privileged Cambridge educated elite..........in the past they bestowed us with Kim Philby and the Cambridge 5.

Nothing has changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here