Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts and perspective

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Can only assume that both spurs and Albion are pissed off with jannsen cos 2 hour extension was only allowed if clubs had agreed fee and player had agreed terms. Disappointing but let's hope we dodged a bullet here and he rots in spurs reserves.

Incorrect.

The deal sheet submitted to get the extra 2 hour window only contains details of the fee and payment structure agreed between the two clubs. There's nothing in there about the individual player having agreed terms.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Interesting read, and goes to show just how much work our recruitment team actually do. Nobody ever seems to think about the family aspect when it comes to transfers, so money isn't everything!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We have a bloody good squad of ones who do [want to play for us] and who are perfectly capable of competing in this league and keeping us up.

This.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shocked to see that Tammy Abraham was our number one choice, or so the Argus are suggesting.

That in itself would have been a risk as out main striker deal of the summer.

Bizarre transfer window

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If players are offered the same deals at Burnley and Brighton, I imagine 2 factors come into play.
1: Which team has a better chance of staying in the PL.
2: Where would i rather live.

In most cases, I would guess point one has much more importance the latter for the 18-26 year old professional footballer.

Is there any reason for believing we were interested in any of them? And two of them already lived within spitting distance of Burnley anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That Argus piece only talks about the club wanting one striker. For most of the window Andy Naylor, with his club info, has been saying we were after 2.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Interesting read, and goes to show just how much work our recruitment team actually do. Nobody ever seems to think about the family aspect when it comes to transfers, so money isn't everything!

This. People seem to think its all about money or the players ego - when there are a myriad of factors.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Silly me, I hadn't realised Naylor had joined the Albion PR team. This reads more like a desperate bid for endearment from Bloom and Barber.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else.
Could we have gone for Wilfred Bony, a snip at £12 million? :shrug:

There's a reason he's now £12m. It'll be interesting to see if he can get back to anything approaching the form he showed before moving to Man City.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Also interesting in that piece is that we had agreed a deal for a player, but fell through because his wife didn't want to move. Wonder who it was :shrug:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I for one thought that once in the 'promised land' that we wouldn't struggle to land players because we were in the 'promised land'.
Maybe the recruitment staff had similar feelings, who wouldn't want to play in the Premier League.
Maybe it's because we are 'Brighton' and that's the cross we have to bear.
We have always had to do it tough and always proved everyone wrong, well, it's time to do it again.
My initial disappointment of the transfer window has evaporated now and I see that it is our destiny to do it our way.
This has always been the case, so why change it now, so let's prove everyone wrong...............again.
Yes, I have had a pint or two.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Good explanations about how and why some of the deals fell through - not all the fault of the Albion. Some moaners won't like that!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That Argus piece only talks about the club wanting one striker. For most of the window Andy Naylor, with his club info, has been saying we were after 2.

Interesting point. With Hemed being allowed to leave, Baldock injury prone and Murray age 33, shirley the club wouldn't have relied on PL unproven Abraham (as an example of the '1' they sought) to give us a chance of competing. Plus what if Abraham got injured at any stage?

The original '2' sounds right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good explanations about how and why some of the deals fell through - not all the fault of the Albion. Some moaners won't like that!

Hmmmm, if you've compiled reports on nearly 2000 strikers and fail to sign any of them, the club has plenty of fault in it's process.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here