Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Alzate signed from Leyton Orient

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Looks like he could definitely become an established midfielder in the top leagues of he continues to progress.

Only trouble with that is that he's joined our Development Squad i.e. he'll disappear without trace

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only trouble with that is that he's joined our Development Squad i.e. he'll disappear without trace
There seems to be an underlying problem with the Dev Squad.

Is it the standard of player they have to work with or is it that the coaching is not that great ?

It does seem a black hole where signings fail to make it and then leave.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Haven't had a chance to watch all the 9 mins of highlights but looks too good to let another team snap him up!

Nine minutes of videoed highlights will tell you precisely nothing. One hopes our scouting network have been watching him for some time, before the decision was made to sign him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think it's the natural way of things that a large percentage of players who join the Development Squad do disappear without trace. It's a gigantic step up. Some will make the grade, but many more won't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it's the natural way of things that a large percentage of players who join the Development Squad do disappear without trace. It's a gigantic step up. Some will make the grade, but many more won't.

Brighton have done well with their youngsters, many of whom are still playing league football.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Brighton have done well with their youngsters, many of whom are still playing league football.

Yep although you listened to people on here you would think it's the Bermuda Triangle of football league academies.
It also contains some very good players now. Many who will go on and play at a decent level, and maybe even us. Unfortunately we have only been a category A accadamy for a small period of time but that will reap its rewards in years to come

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is good news, at this rate our development squad will probably give the main team a run for their money, if they played each other.
It's fantastic for the club's future :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How long before this development squad works and starts producing first team players or players we can sell for a profit?

By the way, not knocking it, just asking. We sign a lot of good players who play good level 1st team and they then spend a huge amount of time playing behind doors and reserve team football and none have actually come through.......March maybe?

Steve Cook, Tommy Elphick come to mind.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm guessing if Lewis and Solly hadn't come through this route we could have probably blown this year's budget signing them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have always had the odd player come through and make good but with the new academy more will be expected. Going back we had John Templeman, Ian Chapman Brian Powney to name just a few but more will follow.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Orient mate describes him as "Insanely talented. Similar style to Messi (little playmaker)".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just saying, like.......................

Steve Cook signed professional papers with us in 2009, and was sold to Bournemouth in 2011.
Tommy left us in 2012 and was sold to Bournemouth.
JFC was sold to Charlton in January 2017.

All making a profit for the club.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
How long before this development squad works and starts producing first team players or players we can sell for a profit?

By the way, not knocking it, just asking. We sign a lot of good players who play good level 1st team and they then spend a huge amount of time playing behind doors and reserve team football and none have actually come through.......March maybe?

How about this season Rob Hunt ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here