Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Your Sunday sounds almost perfect- and you how I feel regarding The Phantom Band! Would have loved to have seen The Fall there too. Most envious.

It genuinely confuses me, there's so much overhyped rubbish out there and here's a band that have got a recent back catalogue to die for, are superb live, write accessible music and have a singer with a remarkable voice and they can't get arrested.

I feature in The Fall's BBC coverage, around the 15-17 minute mark.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw DFA 1979 on Sunday, at The Concorde.

My ears are still ringing. Quite fun, with obvious high points, but a bit dull at times. Blisteringly loud, and blisteringly fast.

Crowd surfing reached comedy levels - a mexican wave of teenagers revoving their way forwars to the stage...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So of the things I saw at Glastonbury my top 5 would be:

1. Father John Misty
2. Future Islands
3. Run the Jewels
4. Jon Hopkins
5. Caribou

Honourable mentions to Songbhoy Blues, Courtney Barnett, Kasai Allstars and Allvvays.

Overall, I found the Glastonbury experience a bit underwhelming but only getting 2-3 hours a night and feeling shattered might be a cause for that. I'll give it another go, but I'll prepare myself better next time and try to have a couple of early nights.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So of the things I saw at Glastonbury my top 5 would be:

1. Father John Misty
2. Future Islands
3. Run the Jewels
4. Jon Hopkins
5. Caribou

Honourable mentions to Songbhoy Blues, Courtney Barnett, Kasai Allstars and Allvvays.

Overall, I found the Glastonbury experience a bit underwhelming but only getting 2-3 hours a night and feeling shattered might be a cause for that. I'll give it another go, but I'll prepare myself better next time and try to have a couple of early nights.

Kasai Allstars was my one regret, just couldn't get myself up for a long walk in the rain. Sounds like I missed out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Glastonbury then.......

It needs to have a major think about how it's presenting it's electronic acts and dj's, there's a massive stench of rockism if you ask me, certainly in comparison to Bestival and Primavera. Due to either the soundsystem being too weak/ the venue too small or not even being able to get close to it I missed Jesus (twice), Erol Alkan, most of DJ EZ, Fatboy Slim and Four Tet. The Fatboy Slim set at Blues was an utter shambles and pretty dangerous. They wouldn't put The Who on the Park Stage so I don't know why they thought that would be alright. I actually didn't bother after The Chemical Brothers on the last night as I couldn't be arsed with the frustration. That's a real shame and will stop me hurrying back I suspect, not what I was expecting from the supposed 'best festival in the world.'

The live music was brilliant though and organised superbly, with the minimum of clashes. Everything I saw was good.

Friday Highlights were Lonelady (despite the tent being full of nonplussed Bastille fans waiting for their heroes secret set afterwards.), Mary J Blige, Run The Jewels (though was the sound poor or are we not meant to be able to hear ELP?), Caribou were the best I've ever seen them, amazing set, Seeing Boy George, Mary j Blige, Grandmaster Flash and George Clinton in the 3 tracks of Mark Ronson we walked through.

Saturday was just an all time great day of music. I'm a Courtney Barnett convert, her main stage set was the perfect way to clear the head, The Waterboys were like a mini Bad Seeds, Sleaford Mods owned a bigger stage formidably, The Pop Group were great, possibly aided by Mark Stewart being pissed off at the compere calling them The Pop Band, Todd Terje was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, George Clinton's Mothership Return set was funk heaven and despite only airing one track from Leftism, the Leftfield live set was a triumph.

Sunday was somehow better, Songhoy Blues and ibibo sound machine are both names you'll be hearing a lot more from soon. Patti smith gave a masterclass with the added bonus of a guest appearance from the deli lama. Fat white family are unfathomably overrated, they seem to play rip offs of better bands songs, whilst cultivating a bullshit bad boy image that everyone knows is fake. On the other side of the coin The Phantom Band are the most underrated band in the country.
How after 4 superb albums they are playing to 200 people in The Williams Green Tent is beyond me. East India Youth's set in the same venue was better attended and the equal of his brilliant Haunt show earlier this year. Mark E Smith calls the soundman a **** and pisses himself in an incendiary Fall show. Goat don't let up in an hour of the most remarkable psych rock you are likely to see, though they could do with a bit more light and shade. The chemical brothers deserve to headline the Pyramid, it was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Thanks for this. I hate that Fat White Family Band album. Was always of the view that they'd be good live though, but I'll try and see The Phantom Band instead.
PS Chemical Brothers looked great on the telly,

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It genuinely confuses me, there's so much overhyped rubbish out there and here's a band that have got a recent back catalogue to die for, are superb live, write accessible music and have a singer with a remarkable voice and they can't get arrested.

I feature in The Fall's BBC coverage, around the 15-17 minute mark.

Spotted you- looking remarkably fresh for day three! Was good to see some kids having a bit of a dance too. Great set and good use of that word.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Together The People day tickets now available.

Saturday's line up includes Super Furries, Brakes, Ghostpoet, Billy Bragg and The Levellers.

Sunday - Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Roots Manuva, Public Service Broadcasting...and as yet undisclosed headline act.

I have bought tickets for Saturday. Should be fun

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Was it your first one? Maddening lack of sleep is a rite of passage. The only way to really find out what you think of that stylised indie band with an ok-ish album you sort of liked is by watching them when your irritation radar is hypersensitised by exhaustion.

In lieu of Worthy Farm antics, I saw Black Grape on Satdi. Wasn't exactly Florence Welch wailing frenziedly atop a sea of youngsters, but was still great. Ryder's coherency (on the mic, at least) bodes well for anyone paying oodles for the Mondays reunion gigs. Also tapped glasses with someone who I know from the West Stand but have no idea who they actually are. If you're reading this, hope you enjoyed too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A mate has suggested tickets for Godspeed... I have never listened to them. Should I go? What should I listen to to convince me that it's a good idea?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
A mate has suggested tickets for Godspeed... I have never listened to them. Should I go? What should I listen to to convince me that it's a good idea?

Not a GY!BE expert but I would listen to 'Lift Your Skinny Fists like Atennae to Heaven'.

They're a strange live band and not everyone's cup of tea. They play with low lighting so you can't really see much, they do zero talking and no song breaks so it's 2 hours plus of solid quite slow building instrumental music. The 'epic' moments of the songs/albums are quite a thing to witness live though. They're not one of my absolute favourite love bands, but indefinitely think they're worth seeing once at least. Brighton gig will be my third time seeing them.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not a GY!BE expert but I would listen to 'Lift Your Skinny Fists like Atennae to Heaven'.

They're a strange live band and not everyone's cup of tea. They play with low lighting so you can't really see much, they do zero talking and no song breaks so it's 2 hours plus of solid quite slow building instrumental music. The 'epic' moments of the songs/albums are quite a thing to witness live though. They're not one of my absolute favourite love bands, but indefinitely think they're worth seeing once at least. Brighton gig will be my third time seeing them.

Thanks mate. Will listen to that now. :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It's a resounding yes from me. [MENTION=8329]Spider[/MENTION] has described them well, although I'd rather put a more positive slant on it. If they can catch you, they're absorbing, and the crescendoes work a real treat. Seeing the kind of stuff you like, I think you'll get on with them.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's a resounding yes from me. [MENTION=8329]Spider[/MENTION] has described them well, although I'd rather put a more positive slant on it. If they can catch you, they're absorbing, and the crescendoes work a real treat. Seeing the kind of stuff you like, I think you'll get on with them.

Well, it's sounding good at Mahone Towers at the moment. I think I'll be up for this.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Agree with that. They didn't catch me the first time - though 'typical London crowd' has to be considered a factor in that - and the second time I saw them at a festival and they really took me by surprise at how absorbing they were. Hoping this will be the gig that I really get blown away.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Although 'Lift Your Skinny Fists...' is my favourite GY!BE album, they didn't actually play anything off it either of the two nights I saw them earlier this year.

The newer albums, which are a bit louder, are more indicative of the current live set. I'd listen to 'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress'. As a set closer, 'P*ss Crowns are Trebled' has a finishing crescendo that does your head in like no other song on Earth, except perhaps for Sigur Ros playing 'Popplagið' at 200dB.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Although 'Lift Your Skinny Fists...' is my favourite GY!BE album, they didn't actually play anything off it either of the two nights I saw them earlier this year.

The newer albums, which are a bit louder, are more indicative of the current live set. I'd listen to 'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress'. As a set closer, 'P*ss Crowns are Trebled' has a finishing crescendo that does your head in like no other song on Earth, except perhaps for Sigur Ros playing 'Popplagið' at 200dB.

Interesting...probably more so than I previously thought.

I'll be listening again this evening - thanks Trufflehound!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Off to see Madness in Rhyl on Saturday which could be quite lively (bound to be a few punch ups with plenty of pissed Scousers) and just bought tickets for Black Stone Cherry and Shinedown in January.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here