Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you indicate going straight over (second exit) a normal roundabout?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I was recently just exiting a roundabout and a woman came round the roundabout towards me from the other direction and then took the same exit as me but on the other side of the road towards the oncoming traffic. She then cut across in front of me and carried on as if everything was normal!

Might Brexit fix this? #peskyforiegners

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
View attachment 82660

This is a prime example near me.
Where I would go straight across the RA, by the white building, I normally have to indicate left when past the first turning on left.
It's amazing how many cars pull out in front of you!

How does the silver car know your intentions if you give no signal until you've past his exit.

Tricky?

Bar the mini-roundabouts, I tend to flash right until I've gone past the last exit I'm not taking, then flash left to signal my intention to exit the roundabout. This confirms to those waiting to join the roundabout that I'm not turning off yet, so stay put.

But in that example picture, maybe no signal would suggest my intention is to go straight on? But risks the silver car pulling out as might assume you're turning left at his junction.

Eees complicaated - probably why the Yanks don't have (m)any roundabouts.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How does the silver car know your intentions if you give no signal until you've past his exit.

Tricky?

Bar the mini-roundabouts, I tend to flash right until I've gone past the last exit I'm not taking, then flash left to signal my intention to exit the roundabout. This confirms to those waiting to join the roundabout that I'm not turning off yet, so stay put.

But in that example picture, maybe no signal would suggest my intention is to go straight on? But risks the silver car pulling out as might assume you're turning left at his junction.

Agreed very complicated, but as you know there are drivers who indicate and those who cannot be assed.
With that roundabout I tend to drive very carefully and use the eyes in the back of my head or use the length of a bus or truck that blocks all insundrie :thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You don't, as you are going straight on, nobody here knows what to do on a roundabout and subsequently there are a lot of bingles.
It doesn't help when everyone is from somewhere else either and don't heed any traffic signs and signals at all.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Tricky?

MythBusters test a four-way stop vs. a roundabout

http://www.rots.com/video/9428/mythbusters-test-a-fourway-stop-vs-a-roundabout

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Correct, and stay in the left Lane, right Lane is only for cars exiting more than half way round. Amazing how many people don't get this, tesco roundabout lewes for example.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Rubbish. You don't indicate 'just' before turning off. You should put your indicator on at the earliest point that it isn't misleading which should be when you are next to the exit before yours (not past it), ie if you look to your left you should see it out of your front passenger window.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The number of people that don't indicate when going round a roundabout is ridiculous. I honestly don't know if they've changed the rules so you don't have to now or its just another example of the fact that the world had been Fedexed to hell.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Tricky?

The driver of the silver car probably needs to get educated then. If there is no left signal there is no way they should assume you are turning left. General rule is that if the exit you want as per the roundabout sign, is further round than 12 o'clock then that is when you signal right (and switch signal when next to the exit before yours). If taking any exit upto 12 (other than the first exit) then don't signal on approach to the roundabout.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Tricky?

If everyone knew the rules it wouldn't be complicated.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here's one.
Dyke Road / Mill Road / A27
The Dyke Road exit has two lanes and the roundabout has two exits (plus Mill Road that no one uses). Exit 1 is A27 west bound. Exit 2 has two lanes for A27 east bound & Devils Dyke.
I go into the right hand lane of Dyke Road even though I'm going straight across.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Here's one.
Dyke Road / Mill Road / A27
The Dyke Road exit has two lanes and the roundabout has two exits (plus Mill Road that no one uses). Exit 1 is A27 west bound. Exit 2 has two lanes for A27 east bound & Devils Dyke.
I go into the right hand lane of Dyke Road even though I'm going straight across.

I think either is acceptable as there are two lanes going straight on. And two lanes on the A27 eastbound on slip.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This local example gets on my tits.

There are two lanes and two exits, therefore in this situation, it is acceptable to use the right hand lane to go straight on. Think it's only me that does it though!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1s0wq3sdNPgCyy3-v5S1-Zvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's a good example of where some simple lane markings would help, though.

Are you saying there are two lanes on the exit ahead because there aren't. The road might appear wide enough but it is only shown as one lane so theoretically you should be in the left hand lane if you are taking the exit for the A283 to Steyning/Henfield. If there were road markings then that would be different.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

This is my preferred method of choice, clearly signals that you are still on the roundabout and not exiting, until I then indicate left to exit.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Are you saying there are two lanes on the exit ahead because there aren't. The road might appear wide enough but it is only shown as one lane so theoretically you should be in the left hand lane if you are taking the exit for the A283 to Steyning/Henfield. If there were road markings then that would be different.

No, I am saying there are two lanes on the approach to the roundabout, and two exits from the roundabout (A283 south and A283 north - not a lot of traffic is going to go back where it came from on the A27 east). As such it makes sense that the left lane is used for the A283 south and the right the A283 north. Either that or the 500m long right hand lane coming off the A27 westbound is pretty pointless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think people need to differentiate between a road that has two lanes and what is merely the widening of the road at the entrance to a roundabout to accommodate two cars!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here