Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong has signed a new one year contract...

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Compared to Stephens staying its a bit 'meh' but Bong has been OK for the squad and having some continuity is a good thing for the club, but the One-year contract is telling that the club is not willing to be caught out after the injuries worry this season- new defenders are hopefully on the horizon.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not personally convinced that Bong can make the step up, tbh, but it's another piece in place.

I'm much with you on this one, but at least his contract is only for one year, and not two. We are in need of another left back with Premier League experience to compete with him though, possibly Pocognoli, possibly someone else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Compared to Stephens staying its a bit 'meh' but Bong has been OK for the squad and having some continuity is a good thing for the club, but the One-year contract is telling that the club is not willing to be caught out after the injuries worry this season- new defenders are hopefully on the horizon.

Injuries yes, but also the worry that he may not be able to compete at the new level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't agree - he's shown signs of being rapid. It's his passing that I worry about. Anyway, good news. At worst a decent squad player, with potential to be better than that at PL level.

Yes I know but I was thinking more of his diving in when challenging a pacy forward. As I said though I like him and am pleased that he has signed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I know but I was thinking more of his diving in when challenging a pacy forward. As I said though I like him and am pleased that he has signed.

Interesting what we all see - I see more of him jockeying attackers towards the touchline rather than diving in, one of his strengths !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bong in the Premier League? I guess we'll have to suck it and see.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not personally convinced that Bong can make the step up, tbh, but it's another piece in place.

The crunch will be at the end of the first season when lots of players are out of contract. A great incentive for the players to perform.

At least we have got one left back, Who is going to be our second left back?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Will Pocognoli still be a target?

Same age as Bong. Would he accept a one year contract? My guess is that the first choice target is a younger player with less experience. If we need the experience we have got Liam Rosenior.

Poco might have a first choice of a longer contract elsewhere?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about Bong is the fact that he nearly always stays on his feet. I think I could count on one hand the number of times he's gone diving in on someone, as he's so rarely caught out positionally and is quick enough to recover.

Whether he can transfer that to the PL remains to be seen, but nobody had him on toast last season.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Interesting what we all see - I see more of him jockeying attackers towards the touchline rather than diving in, one of his strengths !

That is the rather limited (last season) Championship wingers who did not cut inside (where Rosenior is better?)

Maybe we need a left sided defensive (or box2box) midfielder to plug the gap. He had better be very good though as this may be Lualua's place in the 25 man squad? I would like a fully fit Lualua to stay. He deserves his chance and I still remember his performances at the beginning of the season before last. He won us 8 points on his own.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Same age as Bong. Would he accept a one year contract? My guess is that the first choice target is a younger player with less experience. If we need the experience we have got Liam Rosenior.

Poco might have a first choice of a longer contract elsewhere?

Good God, we need more experience, not less of it, if we are to survive!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about Bong is the fact that he nearly always stays on his feet. I think I could count on one hand the number of times he's gone diving in on someone, as he's so rarely caught out positionally and is quick enough to recover.

Whether he can transfer that to the PL remains to be seen, but nobody had him on toast last season.

Agree. Quick enough to recover, an essential requirement of a full back, How about his reading of the game? This is arguable. Not as good a Bruno, who is special.

CH was a full back by trade and I think we can rely on him to choose good full backs!

Nobody had Bong on toast because there were no good opposing wingers last season.

PS: not many good left backs around.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good God, we need more experience, not less of it, if we are to survive!

Agree. But Rosenior (can play left back) and Sidwell are our most experienced PL players.

Pascal Groß is 25. Just right!

Older players are the quick patch method of staying in the Premier League: the method that did NOT work for Sunderland.

Any new striker I would expect to be a bit younger than Hemed 29 and Murray. Ideally, although I do not expect players to be easy to come by.

Let's hope the big clubs don't pinch the young players and waste them in their reserves: like Wilfried Bony (made him too old and too expensive).

PS: 25 year old players can be quite experienced nowadays. They might be nearing the end of their existing contracts as well. Could be exciting signings or not?

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Said to be target for Standard Liege to take him back so I would rather we chased a player like Keiran Gibbs who is 27 years old with plenty of experience in the Premier and have Bong as cover

Keiran Gibbs has been at Arsenal for some considerable time now, yet has played relatively few first team games. I'm wondering why he is still there. Money? lack of ambition?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here