Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping the opposition off the pitch.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well we have the best home record in the division, having won 17 out of 23 games at home. So evidently we are doing pretty well at winning at home.

I get your point but this season we have the best home record in the top four divisions in Europe so as a club we have done something right.

Both of you are of course correct, This is the first time that I've witnessed this phenomenon, my request was for it not to be repeated.

Okay - here's my worry. When we played Liverpool in the cup, we had a lot of new fans who had never seen the very top players live at a game. Inexplicably, a lot of them clapped Gerrard. We're going up into the PL next season and it's new territory for a lot of us. I shudder at the thought of Brighton fans giving the impression of being overawed by being in the league, watching us play all these top clubs. This clapping off the other team could become habit-forming in the same way that clapping the opposition attendance has. We never used to do that sort of thing at Withdean.

There's a culture change at the Amex and although it gives us a reputation as nice fans, it could be counter-productive and I do genuinely worry what also will become a regular part of Brighton matches. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that clapping opposition players off the pitch (especially from the biggest clubs) becomes a regular feature.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Their players applauded the home fans as they left the pitch - WSL returned the compliment

Lee Johnson is a class manager that Bristol City have rightly stuck by

Not impossible we might want Abraham next season - abusing his current team hardly the way to go about this

As others have said large part of Wolves home support applauded us off pitch a few weeks ago - no team wins every home game - defeats happen - we have been somewhat spoilt re number of home wins this season

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Both of you are of course correct, This is the first time that I've witnessed this phenomenon, my request was for it not to be repeated.

Okay - here's my worry. When we played Liverpool in the cup, we had a lot of new fans who had never seen the very top players live at a game. Inexplicably, a lot of them clapped Gerrard. We're going up into the PL next season and it's new territory for a lot of us. I shudder at the thought of Brighton fans giving the impression of being overawed by being in the league, watching us play all these top clubs. This clapping off the other team could become habit-forming in the same way that clapping the opposition attendance has. We never used to do that sort of thing at Withdean.

There's a culture change at the Amex and although it gives us a reputation as nice fans, it could be counter-productive and I do genuinely worry what also will become a regular part of Brighton matches. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that clapping opposition players off the pitch (especially from the biggest clubs) becomes a regular feature.

You just know this clapping lark is just the tip of the iceberg. Plenty more of that to follow next season as you pointed out. Can see the Amex also end up becoming a library as there won't be any banter left

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Their players applauded the home fans as they left the pitch - WSL returned the compliment

Lee Johnson is a class manager that Bristol City have rightly stuck by

Not impossible we might want Abraham next season - abusing his current team hardly the way to go about this

As others have said large part of Wolves home support applauded us off pitch a few weeks ago - no team wins every home game - defeats happen - we have been somewhat spoilt re number of home wins this season

No it was the other way around. Don't make an excuse to clap.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Speaking of Liverpoool they are the only club (that I have witnessed .. 2-2 match) who have a reputation for applauding the away team for putting in a good performance. I thought it was a classy/respectful response.

Completely agree clapping off superior teams re budget and expectation would be very different though.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Speaking of Liverpoool they are the only club (that I have witnessed .. 2-2 match) who have a reputation for applauding the away team for putting in a good performance. I thought it was a classy/respectful response.

Completely agree clapping off superior teams re budget and expectation would be very different though.

Fair point

I remember JFC getting a standing ovation at Hudders a few years back

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Another point of order Buzzer. I specifically remember clapping off Gary Hooper at Withdean when he scored a hat trick for Scunthorpe against us and was then carried off injured. Pretty much all of us applauded that day I think.

I still take your point entirely though, and the Stevie fvucking G moment was cringe worthy beyond belief. If we see that sort of behaviour next season it'll be sad beyond words.

I just think there's always exceptions that prove the rule, and yesterday happened to be one of those exceptions for me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another point of order Buzzer. I specifically remember clapping off Gary Hooper at Withdean when he scored a hat trick for Scunthorpe against us and was then carried off injured. Pretty much all of us applauded that day I think.

I still take your point entirely though, and the Stevie fvucking G moment was cringe worthy beyond belief. If we see that sort of behaviour next season it'll be sad beyond words.

I just think there's always exceptions that prove the rule, and yesterday happened to be one of those exceptions for me.

Fair enough. I'll always take note of what you say as I regard your opinion over probably anyone else on here and take it as a one-off. i'm glad we agree about the Gerrard incident and if similar happens next year.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

I absolutely agree about the clapping of away attendances and getting star struck over opposition players, I think that's tinpot in the extreme. I don't think Saturday's events though are part of anything wider or similar, I think it was a spontaneous rare event and perfectly acceptable (the game was over after all). I also think the effect of so-called intimidating atmospheres as a positive for the home team is overstated. If you look at home records for a lot of these clubs they are no better over time than other clubs of similar standing with less intimidating home atmospheres. In fact, many an away player has stated that it actually raises their game, so at best it's 50/50 as to the effect.

As a footnote - Brighton home fans can still be plenty nasty when we want to be. Witness the destroying of Alex Pritchard this season. The constant dog's abuse he got throughout the game definitely affected his performance to the negative. Fair play to him for turning it around and using it a motivator at their place. Like I said, 50/50.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Saturday's clap was quite spontaneous. Certain circumstances aligned and we had a clap. I'm sure something will happen in the coming season or two and we'll have another clap, superior budgets or not.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I don't think should or will happen next season as we will be the underdog in most games.

I took this clapping of the Brizzle as in a similar vein as when we clapped off Yeovil a couple of seasons back. They were underdogs on the day against us but gave a really account of themselves so we in turn showed some respect.

No harm done in my book.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

I remember Graham Taylor, probably in the first year when his Watford team got promoted, talking quite emotionally about his players being clapped off by the Kop.

He said how much it meant as he knew that Liverpool fans were a knowledgeable bunch who recognised a good away performance when they saw one.

I don't think the Amex crowd is necessarily full of such appreciative and magnanimous people but I thought that having been promoted already, and witnessed a struggling club survive by virtue of a dogged and determined performance, the least we could do was congratulate Bristol City on their achievement.

By all means boo and flick Vs at them as they leave the pitch if that makes you a real fan, but I for one was happy to join a polite round of applause. Doesn't mean I'll be queuing for Jose Mourinho's autograph next season.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
After the build up to the game - which in retrospect was entirely presumptuous and unfair to our players, the least we could do was acknowledge a dogged and successful performance by the City team. For me, it showed class - which our team (and some of our supporters) have in abundance.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
A few points of order on this thread. This 'best record in Europe' claim - I haven't looked everywhere, but imagine that seventeen wins and three draws (54 points) may well be the highest points total in Europe. The fact is, though, that Juventus, for example, have played seventeen home league games and won every single one of them. That's the best home record in Europe, for me.

One thing on Steven Gerrard, too. I'm too long in the tooth, and have been watching for too long, to be 'star struck' by our own or other players. Applauding Gerrard was in recognition of a distinguished career for Liverpool and England, which was in its autumn. I clearly remember Arsenal fans rising to Ian Rush as he was substituted in his last appearance for Liverpool at Highbury. Were they all star-struck too?

I don't see a contradiction between the odd moment of respect for opponents, individual or collective, and making a decent noise in support of your own team. Both are possible. You may be able to get at an individual player perhaps, if their character's not right (certainly I'd agree we got to Pritchard), but the idea that an entire team of professional players can be 'intimidated' by the noise of a crowd into playing below par is a fiction fans like to tell themselves, and can only happen to a side that's not going to be good enough to win anyway. Remember Mark Beeney at the old Den? Did he look intimidated? The atmosphere in that ground for the away leg of the play-offs in '91 was something else, but we still won the damn game. So yeah, make a noise, get on the oppos' backs, hand out dogs' abuse to certain individuals who deserve it, but it's still OK to show a bit of respect, from time to time. Doesn't make us sh*t fans.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Can we please not do that again? It right royally wound me up more than the performance on the pitch today. You'll be pleased to know that I stuck true to my beliefs and flicked Vs at them and called them all names.

Seriously though...why do that?

Id rather do that than sing the ridiculous One Nil Down who gives a f*ck ....etc etc

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A few points of order on this thread. This 'best record in Europe' claim - I haven't looked everywhere, but imagine that seventeen wins and three draws (54 points) may well be the highest points total in Europe. The fact is, though, that Juventus, for example, have played seventeen home league games and won every single one of them. That's the best home record in Europe, for me.

One thing on Steven Gerrard, too. I'm too long in the tooth, and have been watching for too long, to be 'star struck' by our own or other players. Applauding Gerrard was in recognition of a distinguished career for Liverpool and England, which was in its autumn. I clearly remember Arsenal fans rising to Ian Rush as he was substituted in his last appearance for Liverpool at Highbury. Were they all star-struck too?

I don't see a contradiction between the odd moment of respect for opponents, individual or collective, and making a decent noise in support of your own team. Both are possible. You may be able to get at an individual player perhaps, if their character's not right (certainly I'd agree we got to Pritchard), but the idea that an entire team of professional players can be 'intimidated' by the noise of a crowd into playing below par is a fiction fans like to tell themselves, and can only happen to a side that's not going to be good enough to win anyway. Remember Mark Beeney at the old Den? Did he look intimidated? The atmosphere in that ground for the away leg of the play-offs in '91 was something else, but we still won the damn game. So yeah, make a noise, get on the oppos' backs, hand out dogs' abuse to certain individuals who deserve it, but it's still OK to show a bit of respect, from time to time. Doesn't make us sh*t fans.
Good post, well said.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I think it's a bit like the whole nationalism/patriotism thing. Some don't seem to see it as possible to be proud of your country without also having a one-eyed hatred of EVERYTHING else.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was at Anfield in 2007 when Havant & Waterlooville took the lead twice in the first half in the FA Cup 4th round. It was an incredible atmosphere. The game finished 5-2 to Liverpool, but did the Liverpool crowd stream out with the game safe having seen a bit of a 2nd XI complete the job? No. A huge portion of the crowd stayed, I would say 80% of the Kop stayed and gave Havant a standing ovation for their efforts and effectively invited them to do a lap of honour. It was a stunning show of sportsmanship I'll never forget, not sure it would have happened at many other clubs.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I was at Anfield in 2007 when Havant & Waterlooville took the lead twice in the first half in the FA Cup 4th round. It was an incredible atmosphere. The game finished 5-2 to Liverpool, but did the Liverpool crowd stream out with the game safe having seen a bit of a 2nd XI complete the job? No. A huge portion of the crowd stayed, I would say 80% of the Kop stayed and gave Havant a standing ovation for their efforts and effectively invited them to do a lap of honour. It was a stunning show of sportsmanship I'll never forget, not sure it would have happened at many other clubs.

I also seem to remember other smaller clubs getting a similar response after battling performances in cup competitions. Doubt they do the same if Man U, Citeh, Chelsea play them off the park though :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here