Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimpy

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Went to the one in Peacehaven a few months ago. Must have been the first time I've been in there for 15+ years. Total dive.

In what way ? I have been there and it certainly wasn't busy but spotlessly clean, a bit retro perhaps, food was good Wimpy food from what I recall, but a dive it was not !!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Quite a few still about it seems: http://www.wimpy.uk.com/locator

Looking at that list it appears to be a very southern thing, apart from Kilmarnock and Huddersfield being notable exceptions. They also seem to be loacted in largish towns, not cities by the looks of things.

Of the 79 branches their are only 4 in Scotland and 4 in Wales and the largest concentration does appear to be in the home counties.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Used to be one in the petrol station down the road from me - the company running it took on Burger King as a franchise and it was too tiny to convert so it ran as some generic name for a while with the exact same product lineup and barely different names.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I still listen now, and bands such as Felt, Eyeless In Gaza and Five or Six became firm favourites. As for The Monochrome Set and Marine Girls/Tracey Thorn I've got all they've done and see them when I can. That album had a big impact on my life.

When I was student, everyone seemed to have that album! It also introduced me to acts like Tracey Thorn, Felt and Monochrome Set. Loved the Quentin Crisp closer too "They will merely consume themselves on the terraces of football stadia and DIE". A classic indie compilation of its time!

When I was student, everyone seemed to have that album! It also introduced me to acts like Tracey Thorn, Felt and Monochrome Set. Loved the Quentin Crisp closer too "They will merely consume themselves on the terraces of football stadia and DIE". A classic indie compilation of its time!

Indeed, the Stop the Music For A minute was thought provoking

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Just enjoying a retro burger and shake at wimpy in Worthing.

Appears to be a busy, clean restaurant with enthusiastic, friendly and efficient staff

Burger as good as it was 30 years ago

Serving 30 year old burgers?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe they're making a comeback? Owned by a South African company now, I believe - but in the 80s many of them disappeared when taken over by Burger King (well, huge numbers of them actually became Burger Kings).

Back in the 60's and 70's when there used to be a Wimpy on the corner of every high street, each branch was owned by the same company, much like McDonalds are now. Nowadays they are all franchises and individually owned.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
My word, maybe Marlow isn't quite as upper class as l previously thought.

Over the last 2 years of working here I have realised that the whole 'upper class' thing would appear to be something Marlow like to believe than may particularly be the case. Most spend their days complaining about where people park near their houses before driving in to town to park on the double yellows, they also seem to love a pajama shop at lunchtime

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the 60's and 70's when there used to be a Wimpy on the corner of every high street, each branch was owned by the same company, much like McDonalds are now. Nowadays they are all franchises and individually owned.

Yes, franchised from a company based in South Africa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here