Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Why should a product be propped up by workers on woeful job security, limited rights and protection? And I'm willing to bet you'd be calling a different tune if it was your job or profession which was being screwed into the ground.

I like to think that my job security, which is all about my particular job, comes from my continual striving for perfection within my department. Other people are dependent on me for job security but I don't feel I'm dependent on them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like to think that my job security, which is all about my particular job, comes from my continual striving for perfection within my department. Other people are dependent on me for job security but I don't feel I'm dependent on them.

It's nice that you have a job where your security is just about your perfection. Others don't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Corporations have to make a profit in order to pay corporation tax.

We're all well aware of companies that artificially generate low profits in certain countries in order to minimise their tax obligations. Uber isn't one of them - at least not yet. Uber is losing billions of pounds per year as they are very much still in a growth phase. This is very similar to Amazon which posted a loss in each of its first 20 years of trading. The company, and their investors, recognised it was all about the long haul.

(Uber drivers will, of course, be making income tax contributions, subject to the usual allowances etc that apply to all earners)

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Comparing Amazon with Uber is totally unrealistic, Amazon had land to purchase to build warehouses to buy folk lift trucks had, post to pay, and all the other infrastructure,, Uber don't own anything, no outlays just minimum staff to pay,, so there $3 billion losses per year are the result of keeping taxi fares artificial low to put the regular local taxis out of business,, Uber prey on newly arrived immigrants, with the promise of big earnings and unquestioned 2 yr lease deals on these Mercs and puris's,, but when the 1st couple of months of incentives stop these uber drivers are working 90 odd hours a week on below minimum wage to keep up with there hire and running expenses, most need to claim housing benefits and tax credits to survive,, most of the Uber cars working in Brighton are London mini cabs or as far away as Wolverhampton and Liverpool, these cars can not be checked, as only the licencing team from were the car is licensed have the authority to do so,, already in BRIGHTON two Uber cars both gleaming mercs have been impounded by the police for having no insurance what so ever , ! Were ever Uber set up in the world they are met with riots on the streets by taxi drivers, the most recent in Italy, France, India, and south Africa, with all the thousands of taxi companys starting up or disappearing in the world none prevoke that reaction, from taxi drivers who just want to go to work and earn a living for there families, Uber do not arrive in a city to compete they only come to destroy and wipe out anyone standing in the way, and giving there Saudi Arabian hedge fund backers a big return on there investment !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Comparing Amazon with Uber is totally unrealistic, Amazon had land to purchase to build warehouses to buy folk lift trucks had, post to pay, and all the other infrastructure,, Uber don't own anything, no outlays just minimum staff to pay,, so there $3 billion losses per year are the result of keeping taxi fares artificial low to put the regular local taxis out of business,, Uber prey on newly arrived immigrants, with the promise of big earnings and unquestioned 2 yr lease deals on these Mercs and puris's,, but when the 1st couple of months of incentives stop these uber drivers are working 90 odd hours a week on below minimum wage to keep up with there hire and running expenses, most need to claim housing benefits and tax credits to survive,, most of the Uber cars working in Brighton are London mini cabs or as far away as Wolverhampton and Liverpool, these cars can not be checked, as only the licencing team from were the car is licensed have the authority to do so,, already in BRIGHTON two Uber cars both gleaming mercs have been impounded by the police for having no insurance what so ever , ! Were ever Uber set up in the world they are met with riots on the streets by taxi drivers, the most recent in Italy, France, India, and south Africa, with all the thousands of taxi companys starting up or disappearing in the world none prevoke that reaction, from taxi drivers who just want to go to work and earn a living for there families, Uber do not arrive in a city to compete they only come to destroy and wipe out anyone standing in the way, and giving there Saudi Arabian hedge fund backers a big return on there investment !!

I understand they also move some of their UK revenue out to Holland under a similar intellectual property licensing arrangement which Starbucks abused i.e. moving their profits and corporate tax obligations in the UK to the lower tax regime of Holland.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Comparing Amazon with Uber is totally unrealistic, Amazon had land to purchase to build warehouses to buy folk lift trucks had, post to pay, and all the other infrastructure,, Uber don't own anything, no outlays just minimum staff to pay,, so there $3 billion losses per year are the result of keeping taxi fares artificial low to put the regular local taxis out of business,,

It's completely realistic.

Amazon's physical infrastructure is Uber's drivers. They spend a lot of money recruiting whenever they enter a new market and they are continuously entering new markets.

Uber price very competitively as did Amazon, in order to aggressively expand their customer bases. Your "putting regular local taxis out of business" is Amazon's "putting high street shops out of business" - it stated with bricks and mortar book shops and has continued from there.

But the broader point is both businesses were both prepared and able to sustain huge losses today to build market share for harvesting tomorrow.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's completely realistic.

Amazon's physical infrastructure is Uber's drivers. They spend a lot of money recruiting whenever they enter a new market and they are continuously entering new markets.

Uber price very competitively as did Amazon, in order to aggressively expand their customer bases. Your "putting regular local taxis out of business" is Amazon's "putting high street shops out of business" - it stated with bricks and mortar book shops and has continued from there.

But the broader point is both businesses were both prepared and able to sustain huge losses today to build market share for harvesting tomorrow.
The model works. The morals are hideous.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm very much a capitalist who likes competition in industry. For the end consumer it provides a cheaper and more convenient in some cases as well. As far as undercut wages go, people don't have to work for them. Same as Deliveroo - a lot of people like the flexibility this sort of employment brings.

As for being left - leaning, it just goes to show that you can't always judge someone entirely by what they post on a message board!
Wow. You're really stupid.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Empathy and/or understanding of the world, the country and the economy = 0.

I'm alright Jack. Dear oh dear.

Not giving a **** comes back to bite you on the arse..... Maybe you just don't care about the country your children will be living in when you're not here.

Stumpy Tim

Tried to get a taxi back from the seafront tonight & nothing. Grabbed an Uber - got to us in 4 minutes. Cost £17 instead of £10 Taxi but definitely worth it.

A few weeks ago I caught a taxi from the far end of Shirley Drive to the station... Cost me £3.20. Uber are just more reliable & they can't lie about how far away they are.

I'm an Uber fan

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

If you can save yourself three quid though.....hmm decisions decisions

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
PS I use a smart phone App here where I press a button and a taxi arrives at my current location. The taxi (always a Merc :wink:) also appears on the map on the screen so I can see it arriving and how long it will be etc. Don't Brighton or London taxis have this?
We have this in Sheffield without Uber. And the blokes know where they're going.

**** Uber.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Because the App and the IT infrastructure to support it just happened by an act of god - no costs involved !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have this in Sheffield without Uber. And the blokes know where they're going.

**** Uber.

Lucky you - many Brighton cabbies DON'T know where they're going and ask for directions. God knows why they don't use Sat Nav. Last time I used a local firm the cabbie got all shitty because I wanted to pay by card - f**k em, they don't want to offer a decent service so I will buy that service elsewhere .... Uber in this case.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Empathy and/or understanding of the world, the country and the economy = 0.

I'm alright Jack. Dear oh dear.

Not giving a **** comes back to bite you on the arse..... Maybe you just don't care about the country your children will be living in when you're not here.

You are correct. My stepson is extremely smart (and ruthless about business) that I don't fear for his future. He will be successful no matter what I do. I wish I could have taught him a little rational thought before he got older. Success in business already drives him. He might be Prime Minister some day.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
O M G :rant: 20604736_10155693661906388_4066635252087617284_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here