Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolutely gagging for a striker.....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It's tough to shake the feeling that as every transfer window opens, other than the first AMEX era one, the club has collectively sat back in it's chair, run it's hands through it's hair. and said in exasperation and surprise:-

'Jeeeez strikers are so expensive'.

and the 3 strikers who scored 50+ goals last season and were bought for collectively less than £6m were what exactly ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed, all of them seem overpriced. On the other foot though we have Negredo apparently moving for £6.5 million, Diego Rolan who would be a huge upgrade on Baldock IMO of course for around the same price. There is value out there and there is overpriced crap. We seem to be in the mix for neither.

Dunno, they were certainly keen on Abraham, but some of the demands by his family, if true, were a bit unusual.

I suspect there will be a domino effect once the larger clubs have finalised their recruitment, and from then on they can identify what is surplus, and we (and others) have a better chance of making a signing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's tough to shake the feeling that as every transfer window opens, other than the first AMEX era one, the club has collectively sat back in it's chair, run it's hands through it's hair. and said in exasperation and surprise:-

'Jeeeez strikers are so expensive'.

Bit harsh, Hemed signed in June two years ago. Glenn Murray signed last year on July 3rd.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Both. If your only proper striker finds himself 'holding up play', then there's invariably no troops coming over the horizon to take the strain and receive the pass. Sure sign of a poor side if your designated striker is reduced to 'holding up play'. They're supposed to be on the RECEIVING end, no?

There are plenty to receive the pass and thus gain us possession. Are you suggesting Murray isn't a quality outlet? In pre-season thus far, and not limited to, both wide players and particularly Gross in answer to your original question.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You'd think with out cluster approach and no preferred player but multiple you'd see more movement. Given Neto wasn't our plan A despite chasing him for 3 years and we had a cluster you'd think we'd have gotten slightly closer to getting in someone else.

I think this cluster approach is a total load of lies if you can't tell. Abraham and Neto were our first choice players in those positions, if they had gone through we'd have had our striker and our CM and we wouldn't be having these conversations. I suspect our plan B choices and below are far worse which is why we aren't moving, we're praying something better shows up.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
You'd think with out cluster approach and no preferred player but multiple you'd see more movement. Given Neto wasn't our plan A despite chasing him for 3 years and we had a cluster you'd think we'd have gotten slightly closer to getting in someone else.

I think this cluster approach is a total load of lies if you can't tell. Abraham and Neto were our first choice players in those positions, if they had gone through we'd have had our striker and our CM and we wouldn't be having these conversations. I suspect our plan B choices and below are far worse which is why we aren't moving, we're praying something better shows up.

I do agree with you to a point. If, as I am sure we do, operate a cluster type policy and have supposedly been tracking these players for three years why are we seemingly in a position two weeks from the start of still needing our most important signings and why are we as some think hoping for a filter down effect when bigger clubs sign players. Not sure which it is.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
and the 3 strikers who scored 50+ goals last season and were bought for collectively less than £6m were what exactly ?
48 goals was a good return for sure but Murray got half nearly and he's getting on a bit now .....this isn't the championship it's the premiership :D

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

We've been interested in three midfielders - Delaney, Mooy and Neto. Naylor reported a few days before we almost signed Neto that our interest had cooled on Mooy. The logical link being that was because we were confident of getting Neto.

Lord knows what's going on with the striker. Other than Abraham there's been nothing(reported).

I guess how frustrated you get over our dealings depends on whether you're a glass half full or empty person. You could argue that the reason we're getting close to the season without our main signings is because we're targeting a high level of player which are difficult to sign for a number of reasons. Or you could argue that we had a plan A that failed and plans b, c and d are rubbish.

I don't know which is the more accurate description.

What we do know is that Hughton (and possibly Barber or Bloom?) have gone on record as saying that we won't have all our signings until 1st September. We know that Hughton won't buy any player just to make up the numbers. We know that since he's been here we've had a very good success rate in the transfer market.

I'm willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt and wait until 1st September. Yes, I know that's not the ideal scenario but it's the one we should all be expecting seeing as it's the one we were all told to expect.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
48 goals was a good return for sure but Murray got half nearly and he's getting on a bit now .....this isn't the championship it's the premiership :D

"Good return" ??

It secured us promotion . How much better should/could it have been ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Good return" ??

It secured us promotion . How much better should/could it have been ?

That was then, this is now. 48 goals in the Championship is good but having not added a striker and having moved up a division it is not unreasonable to raise a Roger Moore eyebrow on how these three (two at the moment) might fare this year without addition..

Reading Hughton in today's Express does not fill me with confidence for this season either, although I cannot argue with anything he is saying.

Currently we are Championship bound imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here