Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney to china £1m a week

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Which top players in their prime have gone there? i

Oscar who couldn't get a game at Chelsea.
Witsel who the jury is out on, and had already gone to Russia for money.
Hulk, as above.
Alex Teixeira maybe

They're basically capturing a load of fickle Brazilians, and if all points of the full reform will come to fruition (most recent is limiting to 3 foreigners), there will eventually be a salary cap for imports too.

It's a nothing league and always will be until they start looking at improving their domestic quality by stealing coaches from abroad (what they should be doing).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I can't think of one player or his wife suited to moving to and living in China, if he does move he will prove to be even more money grabbing and stupid than people thought he was. As said what's wrong with a couple of seasons playing for a team for the love of the game rather than chasing cash halfway round the world ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They're basically capturing a load of fickle Brazilians,

it is alot of Brazilians isnt it? dont they have unusual registration rights "ownership" that still persist, despite rule changes following Tevez/Mascherano saga?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
it is alot of Brazilians isnt it? dont they have unusual registration rights "ownership" that still persist, despite rule changes following Tevez/Mascherano saga?

It's a can of worms as we found out with Calleri, the country that can capitalise most out of it is Portugal with dual nationality. Which is often why you find South Americans plying their trade at the likes of Porto and Benfica before they move, but when they come to sell them on, they end up with 10-20% of the transfer fee due to shady ownership deals.

One thing is for sure, Brazilians love their country and to move away from it for Europe is 100% money orientated and not about finding a competitive high, whereas players moving throughout Europe is a bit different. Obviously that doesn't apply to them all, but it does make it easier to understand why it's mostly South Americans heading to China. They are already a long way from home.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Oscar who couldn't get a game at Chelsea.
Witsel who the jury is out on, and had already gone to Russia for money.
Hulk, as above.
Alex Teixeira maybe

They're basically capturing a load of fickle Brazilians, and if all points of the full reform will come to fruition (most recent is limiting to 3 foreigners), there will eventually be a salary cap for imports too.

It's a nothing league and always will be until they start looking at improving their domestic quality by stealing coaches from abroad (what they should be doing).

That's my take on it too. Most of the big names are well past their prime and/ or big names in second tier leagues or fringe players at top table clubs.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The closest Rooney will get to China will be his local takeaway.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's all about greed these days. Still can't believe that Giggs was granted a testimonial. Oh hang on, he donated some of the takings to charity.

I am a bit of a lurker these days but you cant believe Giggs got a testimonial? Why? (honest question and I am prepared to be educated )

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If I was Rooney I would snap at it. And yeah I can believe he would get and like the rest of us take a mill a week. Yeah one day he has talked about management and needs to do his badges. Hes also obviously got enough prob more than every poster on here put together in the bank. But heck why not hes a special talent. Cash in on it and enjoy a new culture while you are still young(ish) he's a person too I cant imagine the pressure on someone like Rooney love him or loath him just my tuppence.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He'll be off in the summer then. I should image the deal has been done and will probably be announced towards the end of the season so he can 'say goodbye'.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am a bit of a lurker these days but you cant believe Giggs got a testimonial? Why? (honest question and I am prepared to be educated )

Testimonials were granted to footballers at the end of a long career (10 years) with a club to help set them up for retirement. I went to Gerry Ryan's against Spurs. It helped set him up by buying the Witch pub in Lindfield.

Quite simply, Giggs didn't need the money. Players are paid a fortune in the Premier League. I admired Niall Quinn who donated all the proceeds of his testimonial to charity. People even bought "Non Attendance" Tickets. If Giggs had done the same. Fine.

Do you think Giggs needed a further boost to his income?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Testimonials were granted to footballers at the end of a long career (10 years) with a club to help set them up for retirement. I went to Gerry Ryan's against Spurs. It helped set him up by buying the Witch pub in Lindfield.

Quite simply, Giggs didn't need the money. Players are paid a fortune in the Premier League. I admired Niall Quinn who donated all the proceeds of his testimonial to charity. People even bought "Non Attendance" Tickets. If Giggs had done the same. Fine.

Do you think Giggs needed a further boost to his income?

Quite frankly (and I actually appreciate you educating me) I didnt realise they got a windfall out of it I thought it was just a goodbye and thank you at that level for the player and fans. If not I concurr

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Its a backwater league that nobody outside of China gives a toss about, or ever will. The obscene sums involved are largely driven by corporate backing of the football clubs, and their vanity in doing so. In their culture, its actually seen as a badge of honour, or pride, to be seen to be spending the most money, so as to show an ostentatious level of wealth (and power). Paying these ridiculous salaries for players is not only about attracting them, but also sending out a message.

I read of an example of this in a Chinese nightclub, where there are actually screens on the walls showing the mounting bar bills of each table. Patrons will go out of their way to spend the most, loading up on $500 bottles of champagne etc. Order a certain amount, and it gets delivered to your table with an LED light show to draw attention.

They're very odd.

The table I was at in China recently, we got our bottles brought over along with a couple of full on flares. In the middle of a nightclub that looked like the ones back in Hastings in the 00's. Rather odd yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here