Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Beach Huts - Bust Up

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Pure greed from our numpty council. Other councils don’t charge anywhere near this. By imposing such high taxes beach huts will only become the preserve of the rich by default

Highway robbery - owning a beach hut does not mean you are wealthy.
We need a protest along the prom!

Make your mind up, or is this just an attempt to boost your post count by arguing against yourself

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Wouldn't that be a tax amount of £2,000 rather than the £2,500 quoted in this thread

Take a look. Some are going for much more. Seriously. In some nice areas of the north you could buy a house for twice the cost of one of those sheds.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
It’s disgusting that Brighton & Hove City Council think they can impose a 3000% increase by threat!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With all due respect to [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION], beach huts seem to me to be the most curious thing. If I've read this right, you get the equivalent of a garden shed with no running water and no electricity and every bugger on Hove seafront having a nosey in at you and your camping kettle as they meander past. Hard, verging on the impossible, to see any possible attraction to owning, renting or indeed having anything whatsoever, to do with such an arrangement. When all's said and done IT'S. A. SHED. :moo:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With all due respect to [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION], beach huts seem to me to be the most curious thing. If I've read this right, you get the equivalent of a garden shed with no running water and no electricity and every bugger on Hove seafront having a nosey in at you and your camping kettle as they meander past. Hard, verging on the impossible, to see any possible attraction to owning, renting or indeed having anything whatsoever, to do with such an arrangement. When all's said and done IT'S. A. SHED. :moo:

To be fair we used ours a lot when the kids were younger but they now seem very pricey.

Bought ours in Lancing around 20 years ago for £800 with running costs of around £500 including insurance, ground rent and monthly rates per year. Sold around 10 years later for £4K and that original hut is still there.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Whilst the 320 days a year these are unoccupied and underused why not offer these to the homeless, and get a refund in tax for every day occupied, the tax would only apply when the sheds are sold so no 'REAL' loss to the current owners, who would just increase the sale price to reflect their 'apparent loss' . appears to me a first world problem

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Highway robbery - owning a beach hut does not mean you are wealthy. Slap a 10% tax on selling won’t have an impact on the wealthy! Hastings charge £120 & Arun £500, Seaford only £25. The thieving Labour council here will be taxing at £2,500!
We need a protest along the prom!

Worthing & Adur already charge 3x the annual license or 10% whichever is greater as do others - they’re a Tory council by the way, as are the other council’s who’ve also bought in a 10% fee.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

No! It's a HUT ... sheds are MUCH more fun

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here