Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring my boys,
And take the time from me,
And I'll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea! For...

(chorus)
We're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea !
Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea !
Good old Sussex by the Sea !
You may tell them all that we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea

2)
Up in the morning early,
Start at the break of day;
March till the evening shadows
Tell us it's time to stay.
We're always moving on my boys,
So take the time from me,
And sing this song as we march along,
Of Sussex by theSea. For . .
(chorus)

3)
Sometimes your feet are weary,
Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary,
Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring,
Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea. For . . .
(chorus)

4)
Light is the love of a soldier,
That's what the ladies say,
Lightly he goes a wooing,
Lightly he rides away.
In love and war we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is a lady's joy
In Sussex by the Sea. For . . .
(chorus)

5)
Far o'er the seas we wander,
Wide thro' the world we roam;
Far from the kind hearts yonder,
Far from our dear old home;
But ne'er shall we forget my boys,
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the Sea

I have a copy of the original print, (not a great claim to fame I know),
But have begged the owners of the original print to leave it in their will for me!!

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Yesterday at Everton I was approached by a Brighton fan handing out the words to Sussex by the Sea on a printed sheet. It was to try and get the atmosphere going. I declined as I think by now I should know the words. I miss singing the version going up to win the the cup and every time I sing Stand and Fall it just reminds me of my grandads funeral. Although after the Arsenal game it was goosebumps time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So who sings what at the end of "Sussex by the sea"?

As an old git (in my 50's) I have always sung "And we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea".

However, since the words have been put on the big screen over the last few years, and the say "Tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" it seems that lots of people sing that?

Last week I noticed that it sounded like most people in the north stand were singing version 2.

What does everyone else sing?

By version 2 you mean the original and correct words, yeah?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Being an old git now I was at the game when printed sheets were given out with the words. Norman Wisdom ran around the pitch with his cap on doing his Mr Grimshaw routine before singing his new version. That is what we sang for years. The original is far better, took me a bit of time but I do know all the words now. Whoever resurrected it needs congratulations.
Our own unique song
Yes I remember that too - but sorry to be picky but Norman was doing Mr GrimsDALE not Grimshaw. I liked the old “cup” version but happy that the original version becomes the norm. Maybe as a compromise we sing the “cup” version if we beat MU FC next week?

Jul 7, 2003
Stand or Fall for me. Not that difficult to remember as it is written on the scarf my son bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm no historian but presumably relates to the Boer War (like The Kop at Anfield) and was written in the context of inevitable further military actions involving our "men from Sussex"...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wiki says that it was written by William Ward-Higgs, as either a song in praise of his adopted county, or as a wedding present for his sister in law, who was marrying a Captain in the Royal Sussex.
It was never adopted as the Regimental March of the Royal Sussex Regiment, that was always the Royal Sussex, but strangely, it is the regimental March of the 25th Battalion , Royal Queensland Regiment Australia.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I really hate to be pedantic, but, it was written in 1907, seven years before the outbreak of WW1

So what words did they sing between 1901 & 1907? Did the North Stand just go "da da da da da dah dah?"

2)
Up in the morning early,
Start at the break of day

5)
Far o'er the seas we wander,
Wide thro' the world we roam;
Far from the kind hearts yonder,
Far from our dear old home;

2) How did they know in 1907 about Sky / BT and stupid KO times.
5) But Europe beckons!

Personally, as mentioned, I'm a 70's Goldstone die hard bought up on 'going up, FA Cup'. With the words on screen newbie home fans sing stand or fall and I've nothing against that. I guess in time I will change, but it wont be this season but who knows next year.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I disagree with the notion of "stand or fall" being the correct words. They are the orignial words, but Sussex by the Sea wasn't wriitten for BHA, it was something we adopted and we sung our own version for decades. I don't think it's right that some actively encourage "going up to win the cup" to be abandonded. I personally feel the Stand or Fall is something fans have adopted in recent times, and to me it has a smell of new fans about it.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Used to sing "Going up AND WE'LL win the cup" (shouting out the AND WE'LL to drown out the dullards singing 'to'), but now sing 'stand or fall' every time.

And when I first started going to football the "Going up and we'll win the Cup" was the only version I knew, it was only years later that I learnt the real words.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I disagree with the notion of "stand or fall" being the correct words. They are the orignial words, but Sussex by the Sea wasn't wriitten for BHA, it was something we adopted and we sung our own version for decades. I don't think it's right that some actively encourage "going up to win the cup" to be abandonded. I personally feel the Stand or Fall is something fans have adopted in recent times, and to me it has a smell of new fans about it.
Being "new" doesn't automatically make it bad or worse though, does it? I learned "going up to win the cup" as a 7 year old in 1976 and sang it for the next 40 years - but now I love singing the original words including "stand or fall" because I think it is much better...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I always used to sing "going up to win the cup for Sussex by the Sea" although have changed now to stand or fall. But occasionally I forget and try to backtrack " " going up to stand or fall"

Snap, my 14 & 11 year old Son's always sing v.II

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Stand or fall.

It is our unofficial county anthem and is played at the cenotaph on Remembrance Day in Brighton every year when the parade is dismissed.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
In fairness I don't actually care if people sing "Stand or Fall", I just don't like the recent idea that "going up to win the cup" is wrong. By all means people should sing which ever they prefer, but I just don't like people telling me "Stand or Fall" is the correct version and the other version is wrong.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Norman Wisdom's words:

Can't think why they didn't catch on.

Page 04-05.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness I don't actually care if people sing "Stand or Fall", I just don't like the recent idea that "going up to win the cup" is wrong. By all means people should sing which ever they prefer, but I just don't like people telling me "Stand or Fall" is the correct version and the other version is wrong.

"Going up TO win the the Cup" is wrong! If you look at the Norman Wisdom lyrics (post #58) it quite clearly says "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup", which has a completely different meaning. So if you're going to sing the wrong lyrics at least sing the right wrong lyrics :)

(Although I also accept that the last line in his version is "For Albion by the shore" which absolutely nobody sings as it is complete crap)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here