Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Kenny Dalglish

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
And I'm glad he did. But there are people who do great things in their everyday lives who don't get the recognition of Kenny Dalglish. If Dalglish had done the same thing without being a famous footballer, you'd probably never have heard about it. In the same way, I'm sure there are people who did as much or more for Hillsborough families as Kenny Dalglish but who won't get a knighthood. I'd rather see awards given to people like the heroes who dedicate their lives in hospices who often don't even get given a decent wage. But instead, the awards most often get given to people already in the limelight who are have been lavishly rewarded. Actors and sportspeople get far too big a share of these gongs, it's obscene.

“Whatever” though?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
And I'm glad he did. But there are people who do great things in their everyday lives who don't get the recognition of Kenny Dalglish. If Dalglish had done the same thing without being a famous footballer, you'd probably never have heard about it. In the same way, I'm sure there are people who did as much or more for Hillsborough families as Kenny Dalglish but who won't get a knighthood. I'd rather see awards given to people like the heroes who dedicate their lives in hospices who often don't even get given a decent wage. But instead, the awards most often get given to people already in the limelight who are have been lavishly rewarded. Actors and sportspeople get far too big a share of these gongs, it's obscene.

Intend to agree with you on this topic but feel in this case Sir Kenny is well deserved , understand exactly what you're saying though.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Shouldn’t he now be known as Sir Kenneth Dalglish?

It doesn’t sound right to have a formal title and an informal first name.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Deserves it for Hillsborough alone.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Precisely, download the film Kenny on BBC iPlayer he really was a giant rock to that city during Hillsborough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Except that through no personal obligation, he attended literally dozens of funerals of the victims of Hillsborough. People he never knew. And it was a process that by several accounts, changed and overwhelmed him forever.

So yeah, there IS a difference.

Every funeral.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

You obviously have no clue about what you are talking about. There have been over 1000 people honoured on this occasion, most are average people who are not famous. The press only pick up on the famous names for obvious reasons. If you believe you know of someone who deserves an award, you can nominate them via the .gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nominate-someone-for-a-uk-national-honour

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well deserved recognition for Sir Kenny, although the CBE for the Chief Exec of Network Rail is a bit of a piss take.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I always remember him wearing his Liverpool coat on the hottest day of the year in the 1988 FA Cup final. For keeping it on all throughout the match he deserves his knighthood.

On a more serious note, for what he did post-Hillsborough he should have been given this a long, long time ago. Brian Clough, in his autobiography, says he doesn't know how Dalglish coped with it all in the aftermath.

Arise, Sir Kenny. :clap2:

...I thinks he and his wife's involvement in this make it even more deserving - sound like a thoroughly decent couple to me.

https://www.marinadalglishappeal.org/node/46

This is still on iPlayer - will give it a watch later.

[video]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b57pqy[/video]

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whatever. Many more deserving people who aren't in the public eye.

I think that’s a bit disingenuous. Whilst there are many many people who get undeserved recognition I don’t think Dalglish is one of them. I do agree that there are many out there who don’t get the recognition they deserve.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Can’t disagree with any of the comments about Hillsborough and agree honours are deserved, but he behaved like an absolute prat during the Suarez/Evra racism row.

Tried to turn it into a vendetta against Liverpool rather than addressing the real issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The word legend is used lightly but Kenny is a true British football legend and this gong is fully deserved.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here