Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Royal mouth to FEED

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But he's choosing to pay the "correct" amount, because he can afford to make that choice. I'd quite like that choice, actually. Wouldn't you?

I don't think his choice is because he can afford to make it. I suspect it's more to do with the fact that he'd cop even more stick if he chose not to. Of course I'd like the choice, but economically it makes no difference whether he chooses to pay it or is compelled to. I'm not making a political point here, just an economic one.

From the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-Charless-duchy-taxes-questioned-by-MPs.html

William Nye, the Prince’s principal private secretary, will face MPs’ questions on July 15. He published the Prince’s annual accounts yesterday. He said: “The Duchy does not pay corporation tax or capital gains tax for the simple reason it is not a corporation. The Prince voluntarily pays income tax at the 50 per cent rate, after his official expenses and costs have been deducted. We will be more than happy to explain this.”

That's not saying that he can make "whatever deductions he likes" which was your assertion. Any self-employed person or owner of a business is perfectly entitled to make a whole range of allowable deductions to arrive at their taxable income. This would appear to be the same, unless you really do have a source that says he can "make any deduction he likes".

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think his choice is because he can afford to make it. I suspect it's more to do with the fact that he'd cop even more stick if he chose not to. Of course I'd like the choice, but economically it makes no difference whether he chooses to pay it or is compelled to. I'm not making a political point here, just an economic one.

That's not saying that he can make "whatever deductions he likes" which was your assertion. Any self-employed person or owner of a business is perfectly entitled to make a whole range of allowable deductions to arrive at their taxable income. This would appear to be the same, unless you really do have a source that says he can "make any deduction he likes".

Not really. A self-employed person has to justify and list their expenses and these would be checked by HRMC. As his tax is being paid voluntarily he doesn't need to justify or even list his expenses.
If a self-employed person was just allowed so send a letter to HRMC and say i've made my deductions and expenses and I owe you a fiver. Here it is. That would be the same

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not really. A self-employed person has to justify and list their expenses and these would be checked by HRMC. As his tax is being paid voluntarily he doesn't need to justify or even list his expenses.
If a self-employed person was just allowed so send a letter to HRMC and say i've made my deductions and expenses and I owe you a fiver. Here it is. That would be the same

That's supposition. There's nothing in that article that says he doesn't do exactly what you say. He was talking to MPs, not HMRC. I have no evidence that suggests that he does give a full list of "allowable" expenses to HMRC, but I haven't seen any evidence that he doesn't either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That's supposition. There's nothing in that article that says he doesn't do exactly what you say. He was talking to MPs, not HMRC. I have no evidence that suggests that he does give a full list of "allowable" expenses to HMRC, but I haven't seen any evidence that he doesn't either.

Not in that article, fine.
But who would check his expenses and why? Bearing in mind the HRMC are losing staff and he would be under no obligation to pay anymore if the expenses weren't valid ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not in that article, fine.
But who would check his expenses and why? Bearing in mind the HRMC are losing staff and he would be under no obligation to pay anymore if the expenses weren't valid ?

A counter argument would be that why would he take the risk that a Rebulican ex-tax inspector would whistle-blow (which none have in 19 years)? If his stated intent is to pay Income Tax at normal rates, why would he risk the PR disaster of fiddling his allowable expenses?

The article does say that he paid £4.4m on income of £20m - an effective tax rate of 22%, which, after allowable expenses, doesn't strike me as outrageously low.

However, what I think is far more suspect is the arrangement that the Duchy has to not pay CT. I can't see a reasonable reason why not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A counter argument would be that why would he take the risk that a Rebulican ex-tax inspector would whistle-blow (which none have in 19 years)? If his stated intent is to pay Income Tax at normal rates, why would he risk the PR disaster of fiddling his allowable expenses?

The article does say that he paid £4.4m on income of £20m - an effective tax rate of 22%, which, after allowable expenses, doesn't strike me as outrageously low.

However, what I think is far more suspect is the arrangement that the Duchy has to not pay CT. I can't see a reasonable reason why not.

We could argue the toss about what expenses he pays, but as you've highlighted, there are so many other outrageous privileges that the Royalists enjoy that this Duchy expenses are totally irrelevant. Which is why NSC Royal Lickspittle in chief, [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], has gone so hilariously quiet on the subject.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Let's keep going.

So, where did Charles 'get' the Duchy of Cornwall from?
He stole it from its rightful owners - the people.

'Ah, ye good people, the matters goeth not well to pass in England, nor shall not do till everything be common, and that there be no villains nor gentlemen, but that we may be all united together, and that the lords be no greater masters than we be. What have we deserved, or why should we be kept thus in servage? We be all come from one father and one mother, Adam and Eve: whereby can they say or shew that they be greater lords than we be, saving by that they cause us to win and labour for that they dispend? They are clothed in velvet and camlet furred with grise, and we be vestured with poor cloth: they have their wines, spices and good bread, and we have the drawing out of the chaff and drink water: they dwell in fair houses, and we have the pain and travail, rain and wind in the fields; and by that that cometh of our labours they keep and maintain their estates: we be called their bondmen, and without we do readily them service, we be beaten; and we have no sovereign to whom we may complain, nor that will hear us nor do us right.'

John Ball, in J Froissart, Froissart's Chronicles (1385) translated by GC Macaulay (1895) 251-252

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We could argue the toss about what expenses he pays, but as you've highlighted, there are so many other outrageous privileges that the Royalists enjoy that this Duchy expenses are totally irrelevant. Which is why NSC Royal Lickspittle in chief, [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], has gone so hilariously quiet on the subject.

Shock horror, rich people inherit money from predecessors. Proud to be a lickspittle, we could have had a lot worse.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
am i the only one who think it a bit churlish to criticise some for paying tax they dont have to, just because they have been given that privilege? shirely the ire should be directed at parliament for not correcting this? i dont know anyone who'd pay a penny more in tax than due, and take any offer or exemption possible to reduce their tax. i wonder if those protesting here maximise their potential tax payment?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

To be fair, that's pretty much what I do every tax year, no one seems to mind???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Don't really care either way about the forthcoming offspring. But I can't be dealing with the endless hours of fawning from the media about it.

One of them said to Prince Harry "So, this new baby will move ahead of you in line to the throne?". I mean, what the absolute **** is he supposed to reply to that? What a pathetic question to ask (particularly at an event he's attending to promote his injured servicemen's charity).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here