Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Phil Mickelson at US Open

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like the US Open give the course is nearly always so tough, makes the professionals have to think a bit more as opposed to monster drives that seem to be all the rage.
Make courses tough by having narrower fairways, and trees nearby. Punish for being wayward off the tee.

Making them tough by adding a crazy-golf green is crap.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Make courses tough by having narrower fairways, and trees nearby. Punish for being wayward off the tee.

Making them tough by adding a crazy-golf green is crap.

Is it though ?

Koepke (I think) last night had to think out the box on one hole as he played two poor shots so chipped to the far side of the green and putted a 40 footer for par.

Not dissimilar to UK links courses

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it though ?

Koepke (I think) last night had to think out the box on one hole as he played two poor shots so chipped to the far side of the green and putted a 40 footer for par.
Thinking outside the box is good. Holing a 40 foot put is not standard, and not really relevant.

Not all greens or all pin placements will be bad, but you should have situations where a decent put that misses by and inch, and has a foot extra speed to pass the hole, ends up running a long way off the green. It's just silly.

Obviously only my opinion.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Right, so is the 2 shot penalty (as Phil got) specifically in the rules for deliberately hitting it when you know it's moving? That's a weirdly light penalty for deliberately cheating.

Yes that is correct. I guess that they have applied that rule as he took a stroke at the ball knowing it was moving as opposed to, for example, knowing that your putt is going to miss and hooking your putter around the ball to deflect it into the hole which would be a disqualification under rule 1-2. Cheating? Not really as there is a rule that covers it. It is not, however, something that someone would do lightly or regularly. Against the spirit of the game - definitely.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Is it though ?

Not dissimilar to UK links courses

UK links courses do not usually have ultra fast greens though and have been designed for the prevailing weather conditions, so they may get tricky but not usually unplayable. The USGA LOVES tricking up the US Open courses - they do it most years as they seem to have an adversion to sub-par golf. At the end of the day though it is the same for everyone - some people can handle it better than others.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
So it’s a tough course, so what? Mickelson would have been disqualified at Hove Lagoon for that stunt, and probably have had his ar*e kicked for good measure.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I played a round of Dinosaur Mini Putt in Niagara with [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] on Tuesday*. I bet these US Open greens aren't as tricky as some of the ones we encountered. Come back to me when you've had to putt through a fake ERUPTING volcano.

*obviously I won.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So whos going to get lynched for pin positions and length of grass? Head Green Keeper or Greens comitee?

I quite like Michalson and put him in e,w bets on occasion.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So whos going to get lynched for pin positions and length of grass? Head Green Keeper or Greens comitee?

I quite like Michalson and put him in e,w bets on occasion.

Done by t'committee

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Neither. The USGA (and the R&A for The Open) are always heavily involved in preparing Open courses.

I know a couple of R and A referees and they tend to say they leave as much to the clubs as possible just laying down rules about standards.

My view is it would be the committee to blame but the Head GK will be scapegoated. Thats how old money works which it is at that club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I know a couple of R and A referees and they tend to say they leave as much to the clubs as possible just laying down rules about standards.

My view is it would be the committee to blame but the Head GK will be scapegoated. Thats how old money works which it is at that club.

Any head greenkeeper worth their salt would never shave the greens like they do at the US Open without being forced to do so. Won't stop them getting the blame though, but I would be surprised if anyone got the chop for it.

The R&A would never ask a club to do that anyway as they are not as obsessed with tricking up the courses. I am sure that the lengthening and re-bunkering of The Open courses over recent years would have been done in consultation with the R&A though.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Brilliant 63 from Tommy Fleetwood, in the clubhouse at 2 over. Need the others to blow up now, got him at 40-1 at the start.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Protest at how stupid the course is. It’s unplayable not one golfer under par.

Good shots are being punished absurdly so

To be fair, coming from a 11.3 handicapper, the putt was a poor one and as he hit it it knew it was galloping away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes that is correct. I guess that they have applied that rule as he took a stroke at the ball knowing it was moving as opposed to, for example, knowing that your putt is going to miss and hooking your putter around the ball to deflect it into the hole which would be a disqualification under rule 1-2.
He putted it back, aiming at the hole, and it could have gone in. How is that different to hooking your putter around the ball to knock it in?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
He putted it back, aiming at the hole, and it could have gone in. How is that different to hooking your putter around the ball to knock it in?

He was several feet away for a start and using the correct part of the putter to make the stroke. Hooking your putter around the ball to push/pull it back into the hole is very different as you are not using the correct part of the putter and would only happen from a few inches away from the hole.

Edit: Just to be clear I think he should have been disqualified, mainly because he is an oaf.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here