Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How is it a mistake if he wants to go ?

We can't keep an unhappy player , that would be disruptive and send out signals to other potential signings.

Its a shame but it can't be viewed as a mistake.

The club is a business at the end of the day and in Connors case he has been extremely unlucky in quite a few ways since joining us , the almost ever present of Dunk and Duffy duo limited his appearances and for whatever reasons CH didn't employ a rotational system involving Goldson and the deadly duo so i fully understand Connors reasons for wanting a move , but as a business move i see it as a bad bit of business for the club , so bad business is a mistake imo , time will tell as it always does , i just think we should do everything possible to have kept him at the club , perhaps we have done that and he still wants to go , who knows but whatever we get for Connor and we remain a premier league club his replacement will cost a pretty penny more than the 3.5 touted unless we get extremely lucky with a freebie of his standard .

I fully agree about the unhappy player scenario it's not good for anyone at all , i just would have liked him to remain at Brighton because for me he has the talent and scope to become a fantastic player who will command a very large transfer fee with the next suitor after Rangers if that's indeed where he is set to go .

It's clear he wants to play football and whatever happens i wish him well . (typed with a slightly furrowed brow )

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The club is a business at the end of the day and in Connors case he has been extremely unlucky in quite a few ways since joining us , the almost ever present of Dunk and Duffy duo limited his appearances and for whatever reasons CH didn't employ a rotational system involving Goldson and the deadly duo so i fully understand Connors reasons for wanting a move , but as a business move i see it as a bad bit of business for the club , so bad business is a mistake imo , time will tell as it always does , i just think we should do everything possible to have kept him at the club , perhaps we have done that and he still wants to go , who knows but whatever we get for Connor and we remain a premier league club his replacement will cost a pretty penny more than the 3.5 touted unless we get extremely lucky with a freebie of his standard .

I fully agree about the unhappy player scenario it's not good for anyone at all , i just would have liked him to remain at Brighton because for me he has the talent and scope to become a fantastic player who will command a very large transfer fee with the next suitor after Rangers if that's indeed where he is set to go .

It's clear he wants to play football and whatever happens i wish him well . (typed with a slightly furrowed brow )

Would have been reasonable to give Goldson a few more games, but then it might upset the fourth choice CB if he wasn't ever getting a rotation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rather keep Goldson but he wants out.

£3.5m seems to be his market value so not sure what else we can do.
Loan him for a year. Can then sell him for a similar amount after a year, or if he progresses as well as some of us expect him to, he can then come back and fight for a place in the starting 11. We may have had to sell Dunk by then.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Loan him for a year. Can then sell him for a similar amount after a year, or if he progresses as well as some of us expect him to, he can then come back and fight for a place in the starting 11. We may have had to sell Dunk by then.

I’d loan him, but I think he wants this move so all we can do is get his current market value and hopefully a decent sell on

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kids played 34 league games in three seasons, and that dearth of appearances is not going to change anytime soon. He's 26, he wants to play. Let him go.

As for the fee, seems little to some of us, but another point of view, being espoused in particular by Celtic fans on Twitter is "£3 million ??!! For a nobody with heart problems who's made 8 appearances in the last two years??!! You've been royally stitched up haha! :lolol:"

Ive seen that. Many of them seem to think he won't pass his medical.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d loan him, but I think he wants this move so all we can do is get his current market value and hopefully a decent sell on
Good point but i don't think that is an option.
So he wants to play for Gerrard - a man with zero managerial experience, for a club with questionable finances. How sure are we all that Gerrard will still be managing them going into the following season? In his position I'd be quite happy with playing one year and seeing how it goes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They are still at least three times as big as us........If not more.

If you rely upon history and supposed reputation maybe. The most accessible figures available online show their income in 2016 as being just over 16 million pounds, and yes they were in the Scots 'Prem' by then. I think we have safely surpassed that by now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you rely upon history and supposed reputation maybe. The most accessible figures available online show their income in 2016 as being just over 16 million pounds, and yes they were in the Scots 'Prem' by then. I think we have safely surpassed that by now.

I’m not sure that is a fair assessment really. Let’s not get all high and mighty based on 2 seasons in the top tier.

Rangers are a much bigger club than us

Noah All

Jan 2, 2018
The shed
I'll be sorry to see him go , but £3.5m upfront + add-ons to £5 mill and a good sell-on is best for all concerned.
I think he could have made it with us, but circumstances just conspired against it - just one of those things.
I hope he has a good career in the future.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I know I’m picking on parts of your post but:

Crowd every other week otherwise league 1 crowds.

Bigger move, other than VVD can’t think immediately of others recently.

Few top players these days, only prem flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraser Forster, Ki Sung Yueng, Victor Wanyama all quite recent. Gary Hooper signed for Norwich in the PL and Artur Boruc went straight from Celtic to Southampton, although neither moves really worked out for them I don't think. Steven Davis at Southampton, although he might have been part of the Rangers exodus when they folded. I think there's a lad from Rangers or Hearts who now plays for Liverpool isn't there*? It's not a constant stream but there's plenty of precedent if you're good enough.

Edit - from Dundee Utd, ended up at Liverpool via Hull (when they were in the Prem).

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not sure that is a fair assessment really. Let’s not get all high and mighty based on 2 seasons in the top tier.

Rangers are a much bigger club than us

Celtic and Rangers are far bigger than the Albion. We're now riding high financially because we happen to be in a globally prominent division, swimming in cash, due to the planning/marketing of a lot of people over 25 years without any Albion input whatsoever.

We won't be in the PL forever, so let's not get arrogant simply due to our current status and broadcasting income.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's all this stuff about playing for Gerrard about can someone explain to me? Gerrard was a good footballer however has pretty much next to nothing managerial experience.

Oh ffs! Still going on about this? Like him or not, Gerrard is a massive personality in the game (and as has been said elsewhere, Goldson was a fan) - Rangers - however carp you think they might be - are high profile now, along with Gerrard. If he succeeds in getting them close to Celtic, it will be big news; if he fails, it will be big news - Rangers are just much bigger profile now than they were a few weeks ago. And globally, they've always had a high profile anyway.
So long as Goldson delivers on the field, which I fully expect him to do, it's a no-lose situation for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That would be my choice too, but I think that bird has probably flown by now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he said demonstrated he’s as good as the other two. I didn’t see Duffy put in a performance like his against Watford all season.

But the reality is Hughton prefers Duffy. I think that’s in part because Duffy plays the stopper role. Whereas both Goldson and Dunk are better readers of the game and play off of one another rather than having distinct roles when they play together.

It’s a tactical preference.

Excellent post.

As PL underdogs, at the moment CH prefers a deeper lying defence. We’re often under pressure and he prefers two experienced warriors at CB. Every match/result was vital to our PL survival, there was little time for experimenting.

Goldson’s a quality footballing CB. For what he went through, the mutual affection he shares with the fans and his part in the great revival under CH, he’ll always be fondly remembered by true Albion supporters.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's all this stuff about playing for Gerrard about can someone explain to me? Gerrard was a good footballer however has pretty much next to nothing managerial experience.
Probably more experience than Mullery and [cough] Venables in the 1970s, and boy did those two flop. Anyway, it's not as if Gerrard is trying to waltz straight into a PL or Championship team, is it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably more experience than Mullery and [cough] Venables in the 1970s, and boy did those two flop. Anyway, it's not as if Gerrard is trying to waltz straight into a PL or Championship team, is it?

Respect to Lampard and Gerrard for taking on these high pressurised managerial jobs. A few early defeats and the knives will be out from the country’s Monday evening quarterbacks.

It would have been far easier to lead lives of leisure, whilst collecting £m’s from BTSport etc for very part-time media work.

Football runs through their veins.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fraser Forster, Ki Sung Yueng, Victor Wanyama all quite recent. Gary Hooper signed for Norwich in the PL and Artur Boruc went straight from Celtic to Southampton, although neither moves really worked out for them I don't think. Steven Davis at Southampton, although he might have been part of the Rangers exodus when they folded. I think there's a lad from Rangers or Hearts who now plays for Liverpool isn't there*? It's not a constant stream but there's plenty of precedent if you're good enough.

Edit - from Dundee Utd, ended up at Liverpool via Hull (when they were in the Prem).

Minimal compared to 80s.

But there is precedence as you say....... some good examples.

The fact Hooper and Boruc have struggled in the PL does highlight the gulf in quality.

Fraser Forster career wise is also on the wane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here