Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Nigeria Friendly Wembley 17.15 Kick Off

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's no good complaining about too much criticism of the NT when your own post is a little bit "revisionist" itself.

2002 - England were playing against a 10 man Brazil for around 40 minutes, never looked like equalising and were deservedly beaten. 2010 - the ghost goal masks the obvious that the Germans were certainly worth their three goal win. As for 2014, two defeats (one to a team you just castigated) and a draw with Costa Rica. This is merely "disappointing"?

Let's not even mention the Euros.

However, it is what it is and in the last few years England have not had sufficiently creative midfield players. Even when they did. our famous lack of tactical match awareness has been apparent. The last time England beat a major nation in a competitive fixture was 2002 (The Argies went out in the group stage that time as they couldn't beat Sweden either)

England should always expect to do their duty and reach the quarter finals, but that's as far as it goes because with the current lot, despite their good fortune to have massively high profiles, aren't as good man-for-man as the other top nations. That's not the fault of the players, they can't help not being good enough.

Near 30 than 40 minutes when Ronaldihno went off and they were already ahead by then. Disagree about Germany. Had the equalizer counted it would have meant England were on the up and a young German team pegged back just before halftime. We had to chase the game and they got two more breakaway goals. England had other chances and so did the Germans. Fact is we were beaten by the team that eventually finished third which met the criteria that another poster suggested.

What I do agree with is that we don't have the creativity in midfield but as you say, that's not the fault of the players. However, with the results of the junior England team over the last 18 months then it does seem clear that things are moving in the right direction.

Surely, irrespective of the above, you either want your national team to do well or people are just willing them to fail to justify their own negativity. You get the same at Brighton although, thankfully, seemingly not in such significant numbers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why is everyone so down on this England team?

They have weaknesses and limitations just like the Albion, they are not going to bring back a trophy, just like the Albion.

However, they have some good qualities and are a young team. Perhaps we should enjoy the tournament and give the boys a bit of encouragement?

I am determined to enjoy this world cup and England as much as possible.

Maybe, just maybe we might impress.

Agreed. It’s weird, people are proper ***** about England in a way they never are about the Albion. Get behind your team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Largely because of inept foreign managers, the appointment of Capello, was ridiculous.

But yes, you’re right, they badly under-achieved, and a loss to a favourite in the second round or quarter finals, would be a success for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inept managers, both foreign and English:

Sven
McLaren
Capello
Hodgson

None of them deserved to manage England, with a decent squad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sven
McLaren
Capello
Hodgson

Hodgson had a reasonable record in non-tournament football.

Just how I feel, but I wished we’d stuck with English managers for the English team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed. It’s weird, people are proper ***** about England in a way they never are about the Albion. Get behind your team.

It’s a discussion. See I struggle when people don’t differentiate between arguably justified concern/criticism and actually wanting them to fail (which I’m not sure has been stated - apologies if it has).

Just because there’s criticism doesn’t mean we don’t want the country to do well. I will still be miserable if we fail, despite not expecting much.

I would love to be surprised [emoji2]

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It’s a discussion. See I struggle when people don’t differentiate between arguably justified concern/criticism and actually wanting them to fail (which I’m not sure has been stated - apologies if it has).

Just because there’s criticism doesn’t mean we don’t want the country to do well. I will still be miserable if we fail, despite not expecting much.

I would love to be surprised [emoji2]

I get this and agree to a point.

It is just that there is so little positive posted about England. From the comments you world think that we lost 5-0.

We would never be so negative about Brighton. okay so maybe some would but the majority would be looking at the positives.

It is a sad indictment of where England are at as a team and where we are as supporters.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I get this and agree to a point.

It is just that there is so little positive posted about England. From the comments you world think that we lost 5-0.

We would never be so negative about Brighton. okay so maybe some would but the majority would be looking at the positives.

It is a sad indictment of where England are at as a team and where we are as supporters.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes, good post.

I think you’re right.

Personally, I watch and just find the whole thing frustrating, whereas I don’t for the Albion.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Sven
McLaren
Capello
Hodgson

Spot on. Sven being the worst offender for failing with great resources.

Lest we forget, the tactical genius basically played the same formation and the same team (injuries etc notwithstanding) in every game.

When it didn't work, he had no clue whatsoever of how to change things and win. The Brazil game being the pinnacle of his uselessness.

With zero management experience and also being shit at football, even I could have got that team to the quarter finals. By doing exactly what the overpaid Swedish shagger did.

It's universally acknowledged that the only reason he lasted so long was that the FA (Adam Crozier, Scottish dick) screwed up by giving him such a ridiculous contract that sacking him would have cost too much.

I'm still pissed off about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here