Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How confident about Middlesbrough?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we'd beaten Derby and gone a goal down at Middlesbrough we'd be where we are now.

We still have 90 minutes to get the goal that changes everything.

I've unshakeable belief that we'll be top 2 after the game on Saturday.

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
He is pretty relevant - he could send the team out with 5 up front!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
will be very tight and tense until boro sit back and settle for a draw with 20 mins left. at that point we need to take our chance and score. this is our best hope imo. we need to be patient then gamble like fooook last 20. we can do it. but aint confident.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Yep confident that CH will have the team set up to play for the win. Yesterday was a funny day with so many variables before play.

Now the simple FACT is win for glory.

Agreed yesterday was a free hit. It didn't really matter if we lost or drew. A win would have perhaps meant we would be more defensive at boro knowing a draw would see us up. I cant work out if that would have been a good thing. I know there will be immense pressure on this game, but realistically we know what we have to do we have to win. Boro will have in the back of their mind that the draw is good enough. At least we can go there and give it a really good go.

Its very nauseating.....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's exactly like an away playoff 2nd leg after 0-0 in the first leg, then going 1-0 down knowing an away goal still takes you through.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Derby game was always going to be tricky - simply because despite what the team and CH said, the result really didn't matter at all. It was a weird feeling; a mixture of ‘valedictory end of season blow out party’ and a ‘calm before the storm’ sort of thing. The second half performance was pretty dire but the fact that the team was DESPERATE for the equalising goal, even if it didn’t make any difference. I think that was telling.

So there are a number of reasons that I’m remaining in camp positive:

• A match up against Hughes, Thorne, Bryson & Ince was the PERFECT practise session for our defence and midfield in preparation for Leadbitter, Clayton, Adomah, Ramirez, Downing etc.
  • Though it’s a blow to lose Dunk, it would be remiss to forget the superb run of results we had earlier in the season when GG was first choice. Plus you#d expect the the wily old Caledonian sea dog to be right up Rhodes’ tartan sphincter the whole match. Greer v Rhodes is the first of a couple of nice sub-plots.
  • I don’t hold with the idea that it’s easier to go up there needing a win, but it’s undeniable that it will mean that the team is more single minded about what they have to do.
  • The corollary is true. If there’s any hesitation at all in how Boro approach the game (and they have been hesitant in recent weeks) then it significantly improves our chances.
  • As said above – the equaliser on Saturday meant nothing, but seemed to mean everything at the same time. This is a team that BELIEVES.
  • Boro are imperious at home, but I reckon are marginally more prone to nervy wobbles than we are. The Boro team has struggled in the last couple of games. If Saturday is about ‘keeping your head when others around are losing theirs’ then I reckon we’ve got a marginal competitive advantage.
  • They SPANKED us here. This sets the scene for a reversal.
  • De Laet shits himself when he’s under pressure and can be known to resort to hoofball. Knocky knows this better than anyone – and is intimate with the intricacies of De Laet’s game. Knocky v De Laet is another nice sub-plot. #PrayforRichie
  • Karanka seems to be auditioning for a part in Poyet: The Movie. Plus it’s important to remember the quality that Boro have in the team – they should have won this league by a mile. Karanka has underperformed.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m certainly not saying we’ve got this tied up or anything. Boro are definitely favourites. I just reckon we’ve got a solid shout.

Hurry up Saturday, please.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not even remotely confident of us getting a win there, especially as they only need a draw.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Not at all. I'm not sure we have the quality to get in front and stay in front at their ground. Losing Dunk is a big blow as it weakens the defence and makes us less likely to score from set pieces.

07May2016

Apr 8, 2016
I can't see us getting a result but as others have said it isn't an ordinary game. It's a high pressure, winner takes £100m, pre-playoffs-playoff final and I think we're more consistent than Boro.

Worth bearing in mind I'm naturally pessimistic so, pinch of salt.

How can you possibly be more consistent than us? We're on the same points

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How can you possibly be more consistent than us? We're on the same points

'Consistent' possibly the wrong word. Luckily [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] has summed what I meant up quite nicely:

Boro are imperious at home, but I reckon are marginally more prone to nervy wobbles than we are. The Boro team has struggled in the last couple of games. If Saturday is about ‘keeping your head when others around are losing theirs’ then I reckon we’ve got a marginal competitive advantage.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
'Consistent' possibly the wrong word. Luckily [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] has summed what I meant up quite nicely:

Boro are imperious at home, but I reckon are marginally more prone to nervy wobbles than we are. The Boro team has struggled in the last couple of games. If Saturday is about ‘keeping your head when others around are losing theirs’ then I reckon we’ve got a marginal competitive advantage.

Imperious: To be arrogant and Domineering.

Bit of an odd choice of wording.

Why not just say Excellent? "Middlesbrough are Excellent at home" would have sufficed.

That said, based on home/away league tables, Brighton are more prone to an away wobble than Boro are prone to a home wobble.

07May2016

Apr 8, 2016

Fair enough, i wouldn't disagree with that. There have been a few games when we've looked a bit nervy. I'd say our defense hasn't been nervy until Friday night, that's the first time in ages that i've not been fully confident as a team attacks us. That will be the same for both teams on Saturday knowing what 1 mistake could cost them. I'm thinking it'll be a case of first goal takes it, can't see either team coming back from the deflation from conceding the goal.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Fair enough, i wouldn't disagree with that. There have been a few games when we've looked a bit nervy. I'd say our defense hasn't been nervy until Friday night, that's the first time in ages that i've not been fully confident as a team attacks us. That will be the same for both teams on Saturday knowing what 1 mistake could cost them. I'm thinking it'll be a case of first goal takes it, can't see either team coming back from the deflation from conceding the goal.

Defence is definitely my concern after losing Dunk. It isn't a lack of faith in Greer / Uwe just the simple fact that neither of them have played for months and you guys happen to boast some very good attacking talent.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I think it will probably be a draw. I can't see them beating us, but I can't really see us beating them. It will be a bit irritating to miss out that way, but we should still go up.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Imperious: To be arrogant and Domineering.

Bit of an odd choice of wording.

Why not just say Excellent? "Middlesbrough are Excellent at home" would have sufficed.

That said, based on home/away league tables, Brighton are more prone to an away wobble than Boro are prone to a home wobble.

Yeah you'd have to ask [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION]. I borrowed the words, didn't write them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here