Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My thoughts exactly; not only a poor choice using a single engined aircraft for a long flight over open sea but also setting off at 7:15pm in the pitch dark!

Are you not allowed to say pitch black?

However these were my thoughts, why were they setting off so late in the evening at this time of year with ever changing weather conditions.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to work at the CAA SRG in Crawley ....... there are multiple plane crashes every day and more jets go down than are reported in the press.

You make it sounds as if air crashes are common place, whereas they most certainly are not. It's true too that the modern day jet airliner is safer than a light aircraft.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
With only a few days left in the transfer window, it would be nice if Man Utd remembered their history with air disasters and offered a decent forward on loan to Cardiff. I believe that's how clubs responded following Munich. I would have no issue with that regardless of any impact on us. It's a truly awful tragedy, and I have sympathy for both Nantes and Cardiff let alone the terrible loss to the relatives of Sala, on the threshold of his dream move, and the poor pilot who seems a bit forgotten in all this.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Small planes seem to go down all the time around the world, no way near as safe as jets

And helicopters.

Terrible news as there is only one outcome here. Even if he miraculously survived the crash he won't survive the freezing waters of the Channel.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Cor blimey if you are going to try and be so pedantic at least try to be correct; Collins English Dictionary defines "pitch-dark" as meaning the same as "pitch-black". First known usage 1704.

Are you not allowed to say pitch black?

However these were my thoughts, why were they setting off so late in the evening at this time of year with ever changing weather conditions.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cor blimey if you are going to try and be so pedantic at least try to be correct; Collins English Dictionary defines "pitch-dark" as meaning the same as "pitch-black". First known usage 1704.

No I was just wondering, I have never heard that expression before.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Reading through all this I suddenly realised that many of us actually got to see him play, as he was in the FC Nantes team the Albion played in the pre-season friendly.

RIP

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
This is such a dreadful saga, any suggestion that it was a mistake to even consider flying him to Cardiff last night is wide of the mark and lazy after timing. Nobody is to know that the flight would meet a tragic end. I wonder what happens with the transfer now, is it cancelled? A nightmare both for Cardiff and Nantes, who presumably wanted to bank the transfer fee.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is such a dreadful saga, any suggestion that it was a mistake to even consider flying him to Cardiff last night is wide of the mark and lazy after timing. Nobody is to know that the flight would meet a tragic end. I wonder what happens with the transfer now, is it cancelled? A nightmare both for Cardiff and Nantes, who presumably wanted to bank the transfer fee.

If the contract was signed then he's a player of Cardiff and it is up to them to deal with their insurance company.

My thoughts exactly; not only a poor choice using a single engined aircraft for a long flight over open sea but also setting off at 7:15pm in the pitch dark!

any suggestion that it was a mistake to even consider flying him to Cardiff last night is wide of the mark and lazy after timing.
No it's not. Oneillco's post is exactly what an expert said on Radio 4's 'The World at one' today.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A truly shocking incident. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of everyone on board the aircraft.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From the BBC Timeline

There have been various updates over the last half an hour or so.

Here's what the latest news we have from Guernsey Police:

A number of floating objects have been spotted in the water
Police have found no signs of those on board
Search and rescue operations have been suspended for the evening
The current plan is for it to resume at sunrise tomorrow
Guernsey Police also confirmed they will be providing no further updates this evening.

Yves Bissouma has tweeted about it so presuming he knew him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here