Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Punditwatch

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Will never understand the hate towards Townsend. He was something of a pioneer with his 'tactics truck' from when ITV won the rights to Saturday night EPL highlights in the early noughties and that led the way for many other young ex-pro's with more insight into the tactical side of the game like GNev, Carra et al. Also always had great banter with Clive Tyldesley for international games, far more than we get from the incredibly dull and up his own arse Glenn Hoddle.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Murphy is awful. Just like Lawrenson. States the obvious, whinges and wines constantly, sounds like a bloke with a chip on his shoulder.

Seems to have fooled a few people into liking him purely because he's articulate. Weird.

Alex Scott is very average too. Can't understand why so few other female's have had a turn. I'm sure there's better out there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Massive thing in her favour I'm sure as far as broadcasters are concerned is that she basically ticks the box for two of their diversity quotas in one!

Used to like Rio Ferdinand until he exposed himself with that rant about Newcastle fans having to be grateful to Mike Ashley... basically protecting his own back pocket as Ashley flogs Rio's clothing label in Sports Direct..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chris Sutton is (intentionally, it seems) a bellend who is needlessly controversial and contrarian. I remember a MOTD2 a few months ago where it looked like he and Chappers were genuinely close to having a physical fight.

Personally have always had time for Lee Dixon, Danny Murphy when he's not moaning, Pat Nevin is decent. Gary Neville is always interesting even if I don't always agree with him. Ian Wright is great.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Will never understand the hate towards Townsend. He was something of a pioneer with his 'tactics truck' from when ITV won the rights to Saturday night EPL highlights in the early noughties and that led the way for many other young ex-pro's with more insight into the tactical side of the game like GNev, Carra et al. Also always had great banter with Clive Tyldesley for international games, far more than we get from the incredibly dull and up his own arse Glenn Hoddle.
The mask slips Crodo. Even you couldn't use parody when it came to talking about the arch narcissist Hoddle!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that these days in order to get a pundit seat you either have to be either boringly obvious or controversial with your opinions.
Boringly obvious means you don't get too many complaints so you are seen as a safe pair of hands while controversial will get you noticed and spark complaints and " Debate ", thus being seen as a "Must Listen" as no one wants to miss a good binfest.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Apologies if fixtures...

Chris Sutton, in my view, an unwelcome, new regular part of R5L's pundit team.

Crass, loud, unfunny, I switch over.

On tonight's programme (the God-like) Ian Wright sounded genuinely pi55ed off with one of his stupid remarks.

So, in this vein, which footie pundits would you rather not hear from?

Not really that keen on Wright who these days is beginning to rival Garth Crooks in the tummy stakes ..not that influences his punditry mind :moo:

Shame really quite liked the show he used to do with Kelly Cates(?)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Rio Ferdinand backing Mike Ashley the other day was punditry GOLD.

That's Rio Ferdinand......who has produce sold in Sports Direct.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It would seem that the general consensus is that the UK based pundits are very poor,the big broadcasters always focus on the "big 6" to the exclusion of everything else, its always how good they are, or how bad they are, never that the opposition played well. Mostly stating the blindingly obvious or truly banal . Same for the press- the Man Utd game got a full page spread in one of the "quality papers" and Im told, the only mention of Brighton was in the scoreline header! I watch nearly all my TV football streaming NBCSN and have to say that whilst it may not be the most insightful it is at least generally a lot less biased towards the big 6, and they seem to genuinely know about all the teams. The man Utd highlights on BBC showed effectively a very one sided game, with just a couple of Brighton plays. The NBC version showed a game which reflected the true nature in that second half Brighton played some good stuff and had Man Utd worried by the end.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Best - Ian Wright. The passion for football just OOZES out of him. it's wonderful.
Nev on MNF, where he gets HOURS to go through analysis is also excellent but he's given a great platform to do it.

Sutton is an intolerable bore. A classic 'Look how controversial I am' bloke. genuinely rude as well. I listened to the 5 live pod the other day and a calm, well spoken journalist was raising points why some would argue Martin O'Neill's tactics for Ireland were negative......Sutton went MENTAL. "ARE YOU BEING AGEIST!?". No Chris. "ARE YOU CALLING HIM A DINOSAUR?". No Chris.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
"Wouldn't 'ave 'appened in our day Saint me old son."

"Hehehe, hahaha, haha, no Greavsey, ha ha, hehe ha!"

Exactly... some of my best friends are lesbians... however, just because a pundit is female doesn't surely preclude me from thinking she is cr@p and merely there to fulfill an obligation??

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
, just because a pundit is female doesn't surely preclude me from thinking she is cr@p and merely there to fulfill an obligation??

So the moment YOU have decided she isn't good....that means she was picked to fill a quota?

What if you think they are good? You then DON'T think they were picked to fill a quota?

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
As far as commentators go I like Ian Darke, hear a lot of games from him out here. He is one of the best boxing commentators too. I like Merson, he is entertaining at least. And Dixon and Le Saux who dont seem so popular. Gary Neville is head and shoulders above though, even if i dont always agree with him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Lovely stuff

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I do often wonder about the exposure these people are given and the relevance/authority that they have. A bit like becoming a manager, just because you've played the game, doesn't make you a good pundit – and there are many examples to prove the point.

I remember being in Holland in 2014 while the World Cup was on and was amazed that once the game was finished, the program did too. No chit-chat, no post-mortem of what had gone on before, it was on with the evening's TV. Pretty sure it was the same in Spain when I was there during the same tournament. Then I was reminded of it yesterday while listening to 'Goughy' on Talkshite banging on about managers and mentioned "'im who just went from Luton to Stoke." Now, I'm not expecting Nathan Jones to be a household name with everyone, but for someone in DG's positions, he should probably know.

I don't know whether I'd prefer no analysis after the game, but I do think sometimes it goes on far too long when, often, there isn't that much to say...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I do often wonder about the exposure these people are given and the relevance/authority that they have. A bit like becoming a manager, just because you've played the game, doesn't make you a good pundit – and there are many examples to prove the point.

I remember being in Holland in 2014 while the World Cup was on and was amazed that once the game was finished, the program did too. No chit-chat, no post-mortem of what had gone on before, it was on with the evening's TV. Pretty sure it was the same in Spain when I was there during the same tournament. Then I was reminded of it yesterday while listening to 'Goughy' on Talkshite banging on about managers and mentioned "'im who just went from Luton to Stoke." Now, I'm not expecting Nathan Jones to be a household name with everyone, but for someone in DG's positions, he should probably know.

I don't know whether I'd prefer no analysis after the game, but I do think sometimes it goes on far too long when, often, there isn't that much to say...
Depends if they are morons or not. Goughie, loved him as a cricketer and a bloke. As a pundit he's stealing a living. But so are many.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Apologies if fixtures...

Chris Sutton, in my view, an unwelcome, new regular part of R5L's pundit team.

Crass, loud, unfunny, I switch over.

On tonight's programme (the God-like) Ian Wright sounded genuinely pi55ed off with one of his stupid remarks.

So, in this vein, which footie pundits would you rather not hear from?

My missus thinks Sutton sounds like Zippy, which I think is hilarious.

PS I agree with most your assessments on this thread.
Nobody's mentioned Murray and Sidwell yet, so I'll do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here