Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] OT - Redundancy

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Just keep busy. Once you start a life of sitting around the house and not showering then getting back to work will be a huge jump. Keep busy and stay active, even if it's just a low paid job to pass the time

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Plenty of jobs around, the trouble is they tend to polarise between £8.50 an hour or £36k + a year, i'm in a dead end poorly paid job and have been looking for 6 months, i'm seriously considering trying to apply to Higgidy Pies who always seem to have jobs going.
Good luck with Higgidy....over time I have sent a few applications without a response!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I got made redundant 16 years ago by a certain very well known company in Brighton who happen to now sponsor our stadium. At the time, it was horrendous, but as others have said, stick in there, and sooner or later you will realise it could come to be a blessing in disguise. I did. Admittedly, I did get rather a decent payoff which enabled me to buy Mrs P's ex out of their house.

I then got a job back with the same company about a month later, which I didn't really enjoy but it managed to tide me over until around 18 months later I found the job I am still in now, back in my chosen line of work.

Hope it all turns out for you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried using Jobserve (www.jobserve.co.uk). I always used it when I was looking for a new contract and it usually came up trumps, often resulting in a call from an agency within the hour. Please give it a go. I just did a search on 'data analyst' and it came up with literally dozens, if not scores, of data analyst vacancies, some permananent, some contracting, and all posted within the past 3 or 4 days. Seems to be plenty out there. And have you considered going contracting? Not nearly as daunting as it sounds. Plenty on here will be able to give you sound advice if you were to decide to go down that route. Good luck!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As stated on another thread, I got laid off in July last year and that was the third time in two years.
I am a tradesman, so I got back on the tools and started doing handyman work whilst looking for something else.
Being a realist at 58 I didn't expect companies to be knocking my door down and they haven't.
After 3 quiet days in July I haven't stopped and I don't bother applying for positions now, as I am enjoying this ride.
I do so many different things and love the variety, meeting decent and odd people, some working weeks are 4 days long whilst others 6.
It could stop I suppose, but shows no signs of doing so at the moment.
Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Use the opportunity to wrap up warm and get out side maybe use an hour or two each day to get fit learn some new skills listern to some music read that book you keep meaning to read just don't stay indoors four walls will drive you bonkers

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I took voluntary redundancy once, been made redundant once and worked at a company that went into administration (no it wasn't a football club in Croydon!), I took a little time with the first one as I had a decent pay off so could take a long break, but once I started looking again I've usually found work OK.

As others have said, try and keep to a similar routine, I used to get up at 8am, take my wife to work, go for a run or to the gym, and then spend 2/3 hours job hunting, before collecting the wife from work. In between that I had chores at home to do, washing, cleaning, shopping etc.. anything to keep busy.

The first two times I could afford to be selective, with the 3rd I was getting desperate, with no money coming in (we had to claim our redundancy money from the Insolvency Service and it seemed to take forever), but I still managed to find something OK, and I'm really enjoying what I do now.

Get your CV on as many jobsites as you can, Monster, Jobserve etc.. Also update Linkedin with your situation, Recruitment agencies watch that like hawks for any updates.

The start of the year isn't the worst time to be looking for a job, companies would have put off advertising before xmas and now the ads will start to appear.

Good luck!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Have you tried using Jobserve (www.jobserve.co.uk). I always used it when I was looking for a new contract and it usually came up trumps, often resulting in a call from an agency within the hour. Please give it a go. I just did a search on 'data analyst' and it came up with literally dozens, if not scores, of data analyst vacancies, some permananent, some contracting, and all posted within the past 3 or 4 days. Seems to be plenty out there. And have you considered going contracting? Not nearly as daunting as it sounds. Plenty on here will be able to give you sound advice if you were to decide to go down that route. Good luck!

Also Jobsite. I've been made redundant four times, the last time was in 2015 at the age of 58. Thanks to Jobsite it was less than six weeks between getting the chop and starting my new job. (I also used them a lot when I was a contractor and they were brilliant. Just over two months was the longest I ever went with a role).

As others have said - keep busy. Make looking for a job your new job. I hated doing it so I was always pleased when I found something!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
PM sent. Hopefully it will help.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

if you have skills with data analysis, you might want look at learning Python/scala/other coding and look into "data scientist" roles. many developers out there but few know data analysis, so bit of a shortfall in people, its easier to learn some code than gain years of experience in analysis.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I’ve recently been made redundant and at 44 I am struggling to find a new role, anybody got any tips for keeping sane as I can feel the dark clouds gathering? or stories where redundancy has actually been a good thing?

I was made redundant 2 1/2 years ago, at the age of 54 after working at the same place for 30+ years.

It was a real shock to the system, but it's turned out to be (outside of family) the best thing that 's ever happened to me.

Don't let those dark clouds gather - get up, (get off NSC!) and get hunting.

As others have said, maybe take something lower paid just to keep busy.

Good Luck - with a positive attitude I'm sure you'll be fine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here