Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
[MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION], to be fair Radio 1 is shite... I cant understand why cant bin him off, shirley there isnt much training for a temp? i did warehouse work in my youth as a temp, hard work and good bantz.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He moans about the radio constantly. We normally have Radio 1 on because our radio only picks up about 4 stations and the other options are Capital, Heart & a classical station. He hates every song, he hates every presenter (even Greg James who I thought was universally liked), every piece of live music sounds shit apparently. He moaned the other day that they played an old song (2014ish). The next day I let him put his phone on the AUX and had to suffer through 6 hours of cheesy 80’s classics. Hearing “this song is shit” 40 times a day has pushed me to breaking point.

Refuses to add anyone on social media.

He does sound like a Grade A Bell Cheese, but I have to agree with him on these 2 points. I'm with [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] I'd much rather spend the day listening to cheesy 80's songs than anything Radio 1 puts out.

Why do you want him to add you on social media? I make an effort NOT to add people I work with on social media. I spend every day with them, I don't need to see pictures of their family trips at weekends. The only time I add them is if they leave or I leave the company (and I actually like them).

Minor criticisms though. It was a tremendous post :clap2: and I pity you having to work with this CLOWN.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Got a new job last year and it’s been great. It’s a pretty small company - if you don’t include the temp or the manager then there’s 7 of us. Everyone gets on fairly well and it’s genuinely nice place to work and apart from a few annoying quirks here or there I’d happily say it’s Bell Cheese free.

Then we got a Christmas temp: Jesus f*cking Christ. He works with me in the warehouse, it’s pretty simple goods in/out work but good lord does he make it hard work. He’s only working 24 hours a week at the moment and I am relieved that it’s not a minute more. I don’t even know where to start.

He constantly moans about how boring the job is, how he can’t wait to get home, how slow the day is going etc etc. However despite that he also asks if he can stay later to pick up some more hours. Maybe he thinks that when he leaves we stop working, one of the walls rotates 180 degrees and a water slide appears so we can have an awesome party for the last hour. Oh and despite his lust for more hours he very rarely actually stays until the end of his shift, frequently just vanishing with 5-10 minutes of his shift left without saying bye to anyone.

He moans about the radio constantly. We normally have Radio 1 on because our radio only picks up about 4 stations and the other options are Capital, Heart & a classical station. He hates every song, he hates every presenter (even Greg James who I thought was universally liked), every piece of live music sounds shit apparently. He moaned the other day that they played an old song (2014ish). The next day I let him put his phone on the AUX and had to suffer through 6 hours of cheesy 80’s classics. Hearing “this song is shit” 40 times a day has pushed me to breaking point.

He has been there over 2 months now but it’s like he’s been there two weeks. He has made absolutely no improvement or learnt even the most basic parts of his job. Give him a list of 12 orders to pick; 8 from the nearest warehouse & 4 from the furtherest warehouse, and he’ll be gone for an eternity before he returns with 4 of the orders. Apparently doing both parts of the list at once would confuse him. Bare in mind that picking the numbers is simply reading a part number and picking up the corresponding part.

He’s slow at picking the orders, but he’s even slower at packing them to the point where even on quiet days you can’t leave him alone on daily orders whilst you do bigger jobs because you’ll come back to a mountain of orders and him slowly plodding through them with absolutely no urgency. That’s if he does any work at all. On more than one occasion I’ve had the warehouse manager ask me to stop whatever job I’m doing so I can go and stand in the packing room because the second the temps left alone he just sits on his phone.

There’s an unwritten rule at work that if you get in early you start working when you get there. We also don’t take a proper lunch break, but people take 5-10 minutes if they have food. The flip side to this is everyone is entitled to a fag break every 60-90 minutes and if you ever need to shoot out early for a doctors appointment (or to head to football :D) then you’ve earned that time so there’s no questions asked. The temp does not care. He’ll stand in the entrance of work until the second his shift starts. If you have food he’ll stop in his tracks and sit on his phone until you finish eating. It’s got to the point where we had a container of stock arrive the other day and he snuck around the back of the industrial estate so he could wait inside until his shift started.

He’s also made absolutely no effort to fit in. Refuses to add anyone on social media. Quite often refuses to come out on fag breaks (I don’t smoke but go out for a chat). Refuses to make anybody a cuppa. The other day we were watching a flock of 8 seagulls and a crow all fight over some cakes (it was funnier than it sounds, okay). We were putting bets on who would win and it was just a nice moment of silliness whilst having a break from work. He sat upstairs on his phone until 5 minutes before the end of his shift and then just walked past all of us without saying a word and went home.

Oh and he took a week off work sick, where he emailed in on the Monday and then made no further contact.

The worrying thing is the fact he’s not a 16/17 year old kid in his first job. He’s in his 30’s or 40’s. Sadly we’re stuck with him until after Christmas now as apparently it’s too late to get somebody in and train them in time, despite the fact a child would do better without any training.

I can’t wait for Christmas to be over already.

*and breathe*

Have to say I like the sound of this guy. Tragic & brilliant, full of pig headed ignorance & arrogance in a Kenny Powers (Eastbound & Down) way. I'd find him pretty entertaining....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cheesery all round today.

I was off last week at a family hotel and was under strict instructions from the other half to leave my work mobile (I have two) at home.

On Tuesday HR Lady (who is ****ing useless) emailed EVERYONE with voting buttons to confirm attendance at the work Christmas do. We had to reply by Friday OR WE WOULD LOSE THE BOOKING. She added a read receipt request. I did not see the email. Nor did half the team as it was half term.

On Friday she sent a reminder that we had to vote NOW or we would LOSE THE BOOKING. The same people as before didn’t see the email.

My PM (who is also effing useless) did though and complained to HR Lady that we were missing out, and wasn’t it a bit daft excluding people who were away for half term. HR Lady sent him a two page rant in return about how the company provides senior staff with a phone so they can read emails when they’re not working.

PM told me this story this morning by way of apologising that I was excluded from the meal. I opened up the mail, ignored the read request and told him I couldn’t make the date anyway*

His face was a picture.

* I’d actually rather go to a modern opera about feminism with a Palace fan anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
HR Lady sent him a two page rant in return about how the company provides senior staff with a phone so they can read emails when they’re not working.

I had a boss, Dave, who was a shift manager, meaning he worked days/lates/weekends/nights. He took the view that he shouldn't have to answer the phone or read emails when he was off so started turning his phone off. The senior manager, who was (and, indeed, still is) a prize **** told him off and said he would be checking his phone to make sure it wasn't turned off as he "expects his managers to be available at al times".
Dave went home, made himself a faraday cage out of a biscuit tin and kept his phone in that when he wasn't on duty.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I had a boss, Dave, who was a shift manager, meaning he worked days/lates/weekends/nights. He took the view that he shouldn't have to answer the phone or read emails when he was off so started turning his phone off. The senior manager, who was (and, indeed, still is) a prize **** told him off and said he would be checking his phone to make sure it wasn't turned off as he "expects his managers to be available at al times".
Dave went home, made himself a faraday cage out of a biscuit tin and kept his phone in that when he wasn't on duty.

:lolol:

Well played that man.

The Gin Tub bar in Hove is basically a large Faraday cage. He doesn’t moonlight selling overpriced drinks to 40 something ex hipsters does he?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Back in my Amex days I had a bell cheese boss like that senior manager. When I took the job I was asked "do you want a blackberry", "no" I said. Two days later one turns up anyway.

So I decided that I’ll turn the thing on when I get to work on a Monday and off when I leave at 4 on Friday. Few weeks later I arrive at work on Monday morning greeted by an angry bell cheese boss. “Where were you all weekend?” he demanded. “Doing stuff at home “ says I. Apparently there’s been some almighty row about a trivial project being carried out from Friday night non-stop (literally, emails every 30 minutes up to Monday morning, 24 hours a day) and some weapons grade bellcheesery. He’s angry with me because I didn’t join the debate all weekend. I somewhat frankly told him that I answered to a higher power at the weekend, which he didn’t like. It was the beginning of the end for me there

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Back in my Amex days I had a bell cheese boss like that senior manager. When I took the job I was asked "do you want a blackberry", "no" I said. Two days later one turns up anyway.

So I decided that I’ll turn the thing on when I get to work on a Monday and off when I leave at 4 on Friday. Few weeks later I arrive at work on Monday morning greeted by an angry bell cheese boss. “Where were you all weekend?” he demanded. “Doing stuff at home “ says I. Apparently there’s been some almighty row about a trivial project being carried out from Friday night non-stop (literally, emails every 30 minutes up to Monday morning, 24 hours a day) and some weapons grade bellcheesery. He’s angry with me because I didn’t join the debate all weekend. I somewhat frankly told him that I answered to a higher power at the weekend, which he didn’t like. It was the beginning of the end for me there

Ah yes, these are the classic BC bosses who don't seem to be able to distinguish between "work" and "life". One of the prime reasons people end up with stress-related illnesses. I'm a great believer in finishing on a Friday afternoon and having no interaction with work until Monday morning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah yes, these are the classic BC bosses who don't seem to be able to distinguish between "work" and "life". One of the prime reasons people end up with stress-related illnesses. I'm a great believer in finishing on a Friday afternoon and having no interaction with work until Monday morning.

Absolutely this. To be fair, our firm (which is massive, and can be very political at times) is pretty good at respecting weekends and holidays. I don’t think I’ve ever had an email from my boss at a weekend, and he doesn’t send anything when he’s on holiday. I’ve also worked in places where checking your emails all weekend was kind of expected.....it’s all bollocks, nothing is ever that important. It’s only usually fragile senior management faffing about something someone even more senior has asked.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
HR Lady sent him a two page rant in return about how the company provides senior staff with a phone so they can read emails when they’re not working.

Could you ask the HR lady how it’s possible to not be working when you are reading work emails? Ask her too how her views fit with the working time directive that her HR dept is supposed to enforce

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Could you ask the HR lady how it’s possible to not be working when you are reading work emails? Ask her too how her views fit with the working time directive that her HR dept is supposed to enforce

I was about to post the same thing.

Read emails when not working, but reading a work email is working!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We work 12.5 hour nights shifts. Once we all got an email saying that although they appreciate that we need to sleep during the day we must try to read and respond to emails and be available on the phone if required.
How I chuckled as I switched to airplane mode, popped my sleep mask on and snuggled into bed.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
We work 12.5 hour nights shifts. Once we all got an email saying that although they appreciate that we need to sleep during the day we must try to read and respond to emails and be available on the phone if required.
How I chuckled as I switched to airplane mode, popped my sleep mask on and snuggled into bed.

And if you had a question for the day shift could you call them at 3am?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I had a job that was really intense, frequently working till 10 at night (unpaid) to keep up with the work. After a couple of months of that, I needed a break, a friend suggested Weimar (which I'd always wanted to see) so I booked a week off. Apparently, all hell broke loose in the office and they were trying to contact me (in the days before mobile). The office manager rang every hotel in Weimar trying to track me down - fortunately, my friend had booked the hotel as they didn't have her name,I got away with it. I came back to an almighty row.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

If you're sleeping off nights, and they expect you to answer their emails during your rest period, technically you're still working!
I work 12 hr nights also, if my bosses want to contact me, they send me a text / WhatsApp, and I pick them up, when I'm awake!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We work 12.5 hour nights shifts. Once we all got an email saying that although they appreciate that we need to sleep during the day we must try to read and respond to emails and be available on the phone if required

If your company wants to go down that route, tell them they need to put some suitable paid on-call arrangements in place.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Anyone remember the bit in 'The Office' with Gareth and the cookie-jar

Someone has bought in some halloween piece of tat that makes a noise (loudly). She has proudly shown it to 4 people on my floor so far. It goes on for about a minute each time. I'll just postpone working for a while shall I?

This is before the Halloween festivities (That I refuse to join in with) tomorrow.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Got a new job last year and it’s been great. It’s a pretty small company - if you don’t include the temp or the manager then there’s 7 of us. Everyone gets on fairly well and it’s genuinely nice place to work and apart from a few annoying quirks here or there I’d happily say it’s Bell Cheese free.

Then we got a Christmas temp: Jesus f*cking Christ. He works with me in the warehouse, it’s pretty simple goods in/out work but good lord does he make it hard work. He’s only working 24 hours a week at the moment and I am relieved that it’s not a minute more. I don’t even know where to start.

He constantly moans about how boring the job is, how he can’t wait to get home, how slow the day is going etc etc. However despite that he also asks if he can stay later to pick up some more hours. Maybe he thinks that when he leaves we stop working, one of the walls rotates 180 degrees and a water slide appears so we can have an awesome party for the last hour. Oh and despite his lust for more hours he very rarely actually stays until the end of his shift, frequently just vanishing with 5-10 minutes of his shift left without saying bye to anyone.

He has been there over 2 months now but it’s like he’s been there two weeks. He has made absolutely no improvement or learnt even the most basic parts of his job. Give him a list of 12 orders to pick; 8 from the nearest warehouse & 4 from the furtherest warehouse, and he’ll be gone for an eternity before he returns with 4 of the orders. Apparently doing both parts of the list at once would confuse him. Bare in mind that picking the numbers is simply reading a part number and picking up the corresponding part.

He’s slow at picking the orders, but he’s even slower at packing them to the point where even on quiet days you can’t leave him alone on daily orders whilst you do bigger jobs because you’ll come back to a mountain of orders and him slowly plodding through them with absolutely no urgency. That’s if he does any work at all. On more than one occasion I’ve had the warehouse manager ask me to stop whatever job I’m doing so I can go and stand in the packing room because the second the temps left alone he just sits on his phone.

There’s an unwritten rule at work that if you get in early you start working when you get there. We also don’t take a proper lunch break, but people take 5-10 minutes if they have food. The flip side to this is everyone is entitled to a fag break every 60-90 minutes and if you ever need to shoot out early for a doctors appointment (or to head to football :D) then you’ve earned that time so there’s no questions asked. The temp does not care. He’ll stand in the entrance of work until the second his shift starts. If you have food he’ll stop in his tracks and sit on his phone until you finish eating. It’s got to the point where we had a container of stock arrive the other day and he snuck around the back of the industrial estate so he could wait inside until his shift started.

He’s also made absolutely no effort to fit in. Refuses to add anyone on social media. Quite often refuses to come out on fag breaks (I don’t smoke but go out for a chat). Refuses to make anybody a cuppa. The other day we were watching a flock of 8 seagulls and a crow all fight over some cakes (it was funnier than it sounds, okay). We were putting bets on who would win and it was just a nice moment of silliness whilst having a break from work. He sat upstairs on his phone until 5 minutes before the end of his shift and then just walked past all of us without saying a word and went home.

Oh and he took a week off work sick, where he emailed in on the Monday and then made no further contact.

The worrying thing is the fact he’s not a 16/17 year old kid in his first job. He’s in his 30’s or 40’s. Sadly we’re stuck with him until after Christmas now as apparently it’s too late to get somebody in and train them in time, despite the fact a child would do better without any training.

I can’t wait for Christmas to be over already.

*and breathe*

That is hilarious! :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyone remember the bit in 'The Office' with Gareth and the cookie-jar

Someone has bought in some halloween piece of tat that makes a noise (loudly). She has proudly shown it to 4 people on my floor so far. It goes on for about a minute each time. I'll just postpone working for a while shall I?

This is before the Halloween festivities (That I refuse to join in with) tomorrow.

41Mg9AGRbRL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here