Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the beginning of the end for sky sports?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If in the next ten years the big 6 aren't allowed to stream all their games and earn millions more than everybody else doesn't it make it more likely they will form their own breakaway league?

The breakaway will never happen. There may be brinkmanship in negotiations, but the big 6 will always want to be part of an England (and Wales) only league, carrying on the tradition of almost 150 years.

A change will be PL games held overseas, which I hope never materialises. But the chasing of the $, in a blinkered competition with La Liga etc, will dominate the thinking of the selfish.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think this is possible. I can see the top 6 stopping away fans and then selling those seats at 2 to 3 times the price with the added benefits of reduced police costs and more merchandise sold. The away club would benefit by the streaming game to the ground who could then sell 5-10k tickets for the 'game'.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think this is possible. I can see the top 6 stopping away fans and then selling those seats at 2 to 3 times the price with the added benefits of reduced police costs and more merchandise sold. The away club would benefit by the streaming game to the ground who could then sell 5-10k tickets for the 'game'.

That would be a great shame if it ever happened like that. Away days are a fantastic part of supporting your team and cannot be reproduced.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I hope it is the end for Sky Sports. The only reason I have Sky is for the football. I watch nothing else on tv that I couldn't get on Freeview. If I could just pay for the games I wanted to watch I would be very happy … at the right price obviously.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I hope it is the end for Sky Sports. The only reason I have Sky is for the football. I watch nothing else on tv that I couldn't get on Freeview. If I could just pay for the games I wanted to watch I would be very happy … at the right price obviously.

I guess whatever you pay for Sky now would be the right price since that is what you are paying already just for football.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don’t get some supporters moaning about sky you all want the big signings yet moan when they move kick off times.

But the cost of players is directly related to the income from Sky/BT the PL teams get. Everyone knows there is a massive premium to be paid by PL clubs for players that overseas or championship clubs could get for less if there isn't a PL bidder.

If Sky & BT halved the money they pump in then the transfer fees would drop a a reasonable level again. Big signings would still happen and the same clubs would be competiting for signatures in the same way, just the actual pound amount would be lower.

Sky/BT recoup the money they pay in by maximising the income they get selling the product... so for as long as we accept the money, they call the shots over moving games. Personally, I hate it, but I do understand why it has to be so. But I will still moan when it happens... I want my football between 3 and 5pm on a saturday afternoon, not sunday, not monday, not in the middle of the night so it's convenient for the US audiences, etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which change is this. I'm fairly sure outside of cup competitions the home club has retained all gate money for some time.

A quick check suggests home league gate receipts have been kept by the home club since 1988

That is correct as before then the gate money was split % wise but IIRC Man Utd and ArsenaL complained that was wrong as they were the draw not the clubs they were playing so it was changed to give the away team a set fee to cover their expenses. All those fans going to Liverpool on Saturday are just putting more money in I must admit I didnt realize t Liverpools bank, hence 1 of the reasons I will not go to away matches. Those clubs don't need my money as much as I do.

I must admit I didn't realize that it was as long ago as 1988.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here