Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Manchester United, FA Cup Final match REPORT

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The trip to Liverpool was amazing. My dad and I went up on a coach; I'm not sure who ran it, but we were sat at the back with a group of blokes who has a load of booze with them. I was quite merry by the time we reached Liverpool. I vividly recall driving through the city on the approach to Anfield and there were kids hanging off bridges flicking us Vs etc.

I also remember it was bloody freezing and it snowed as we were walking to the ground.

My sister and I were on a coach that day, apparently we took 50 and I remember them being parked up in one long line on one of Liverpool's dual carraigeways that used to host the trams until the 50s. Finding your coach after the game was a nightmare! I think we took the best part of 7,000 that day. My greatest ever Albion game.

Thanks for the report, [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION], brought it all back. Remember being so emotionally shattered after the first Final that I had to sit on the floor of the Met Line train back to Baker Street.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It was, yes. The difference between the PPF, etc retelling of it all, and the reality though (as per your anecdote, and my sharpened coin to the temple) is that their 'romantic' version - that there was 'honour' amongst hoolies - that kids and 'scarfers' were left untroubled, is utter bollocks. The casual violence was endemic and indiscriminate.

When Wilkins scored, I confronted some reds who were in our 'end' and got a smack round the head for my trouble. By the Tuesday, this was diagnosed as a burst ear drum and I nearly didn't make the replay. I couldn't get time off my dead end casual job at Amex (ironically) so just took a sickie and went anyway.

PG

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
When Wilkins scored, I confronted some reds who were in our 'end' and got a smack round the head for my trouble. By the Tuesday, this was diagnosed as a burst ear drum and I nearly didn't make the replay. I couldn't get time off my dead end casual job at Amex (ironically) so just took a sickie and went anyway.

PG

We were all at the replay - I can't remember what happened with school - whether all 3 brothers had 'dentist appointments' that Thursday afternoon, or whether the school agreed to let people out early. Possibly we just belted up after school, and still made kick-off. Doubt that though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

PG

I didn't make the replay either, probably something to do with juvenile exploits on the train back home after the first game!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Listened to the Liverpool game in my mates bedroom in Peacehaven, we both agreed to tattoo BHA on our arms if we won, final whistle 2-1 to the good guys, out came a compass and some ink.... Mine has since been covered.... By a proper tattoo of the club badge (at the time) this was done on the saddest day if my Albion supporting life, a couple of hours before kick off for the final time at the Goldstone.

Back to 83 though, after the epic draw at Wembley, queued for hours at Newtown road for a ticket for the replay, got into work for the afternoon
"Where were you this morning?" Asked my foreman (a Man U fan btw)
I explained I had an exam at school that morning, he accepted this and asked if I had any more exams that week, "yeah, physics, Thursday afternoon" I replied.

**** only went and phoned the school :lolol:

He came back to inform me I didn't have an exam on Thursday and was even aware that I wasn't taking physics!

He said "You're going to the replay aren't you?" Caught with my pants down, so to speak, I just nodded, at which point he gave me an ultimatum, football or my job.

Unashamedly borrowing Jimmy's line from Quadrophenia I replied "stick you're ****in job" and shoved my overalls into his belly.

No regrets, apart from the scoreline, I'd do it all again tomorrow, I think we all knew back then, this was once in a lifetime, and so it has proved.... Come on Brighton make that once in a lifetime stuff a load of bollocks.

Wem-ber-lee Wem-ber-lee....

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Back to 83 though, after the epic draw at Wembley, queued for hours at Newtown road for a ticket for the replay, got into work for the afternoon
"Where were you this morning?" Asked my foreman (a Man U fan btw)
I explained I had an exam at school that morning, he accepted this and asked if I had any more exams that week, "yeah, physics, Thursday afternoon" I replied.

**** only went and phoned the school :lolol:

He came back to inform me I didn't have an exam on Thursday and was even aware that I wasn't taking physics!

He said "You're going to the replay aren't you?" Caught with my pants down, so to speak, I just nodded, at which point he gave me an ultimatum, football or my job.

Unashamedly borrowing Jimmy's line from Quadrophenia I replied "stick you're ****in job" and shoved my overalls into his belly....

Quite right too. Good man :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can't remember what happened with school.

We were told in a special assembly that the school would not be closed, and that no-one would be allowed off school for the day/afternoon. And then, almost as an aside, the head said something like 'but if you're not here on that day, you won't be in trouble'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As FA Cup fever GRIPS us all, ahead of the game at Old Trafford, this weekend, cast your minds back 3 decades, and remind yourself what this grand competition used to mean. Read my FA Cup Final match report here; http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?730-Albion-2-2-Manchester-United-21-05-1983 (if you want)...

The Albion are as good as relegated by now, but that seems entirely unimportant. We’ll soon be back up – it’s all about the FA Cup now.

That bit went well :rolleyes:

One of my overiding memories of the Cup run was Albion being applauded off the pitch by many Liverpool fans after inflicting their first cup defeat of any kind at Anfield for possibly decades.

I seem to remember a gutted Jimmy Tarbuck talking about the defeat on something like Sunday Night at The London Palladium shortly afterwards. That result sent shockwaves of massive proportions through football fans at the time. Nobody expected it, hard to describe just how big a win it was. One of my all time favourite Albion games.

Beating United on Saturday would be an immense result but it won’t come close to being the shock that the win at Anfield was.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of my overiding memories of the Cup run was Albion being applauded off the pitch by many Liverpool fans after inflicting their first cup defeat of any kind at Anfield for possibly decades.

They lost two cup games out of 100 at home (us, and Everton some time later). That included FA/League and European Cup Games. I think they had got to about 60+ home cup games without defeat when we beat them, I have a feeling that the previous defeat had been about 10 years before. They then went another 30+ games before losing again. Some achievement wasn't it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apart from Pascal Gross being slightly wider than Gary Howlett was, Glenn Murray's goal against Arsenal twelve days ago was pretty similar to Gordon Smith's in the Cup Final.

Smith's header was much better - more power on (despite Howlett's cross having next to no pace on it) and right in the corner.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The cross from Howlett was exquisite wasn't it? From a relatively narrow angle, and no great distance, to drift it in right on to Smith's head.. if we saw De Bruyne do that etc. etc.
Grealish - mishit shot or ball played into the "mixer"?? I have always thought it was a shot, but not so sure now.. potentially a great corner-kick routine??

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I was a 12 year old schoolboy in Birkenhead when we made the 83 final. I had gone on the KOP with my mate and his dad when Brighton disposed of the scouse in the 5th...I was not a popular kid after that game let me tell you BUT when it came to pass that it was the Mancs at Wembley...suddenly the whole school was my mate. it was just too weird hearing all the kids on the quad volunteering to be Brighton in the playground FA cup games in the run up to the final.

Just pure joy. Memories, why do you haunt me???

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The cross from Howlett was exquisite wasn't it? From a relatively narrow angle, and no great distance, to drift it in right on to Smith's head.. if we saw De Bruyne do that etc.

Superb

It’s funny - I have almost zero recollection of Gary Howlett, outside of the 83 cup run.

Stumpy Tim

I worked with a Scottish guy for three years in my early 20's, before he resigned. On his last day he admitted his uncle was Gordon Smith and he couldn't bring himself to tell me.

I remember the Norwich game most because I was 6 years old and a Norwich fan (as I liked their kit). [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] laughed at me so much I cried.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I worked with a Scottish guy for three years in my early 20's, before he resigned. On his last day he admitted his uncle was Gordon Smith and he couldn't bring himself to tell me.

I remember the Norwich game most because I was 6 years old and a Norwich fan (as I liked their kit). [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] laughed at me so much I cried.

Served you right. What were you thinking of?

Green and yellow FFS.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here