Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first ever concert?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Marillion was on a Sunday night and, when they started to play the whole of Misplaced Childhood I sat up against the wall of the Brighton Centre and fell asleep. If the Magnum gig was touring 'On a Storyteller's Night' it was on cup final day 1985. The friends I went with insisted on leaving to go to the gig before the game finished, so we missed the Moran sending off and extra time.. I was annoyed until I found out Whiteside scored, one of my least favourite players ever.

My first gig was at the Centre for Thin Lizzy's farewell tour in 1983.

Yup, it was On A Storytellers Night. Eastbourne Winter Gardens. First Thin Lizzy, what a way to start.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Wishbone Ash at the Dome, mid 1970's.

They were recently in Las Vegas, but I just couldn't be bothered to go...might have been interesting to see them 40 years later though.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
What a great thread.
In one way sad really coz it makes me realise how fecking old I am.
I was a 17 year old in 1973 but what a great time to see what became rock legends.
I have just realised I could write a book on all the bands I saw around that time.
Every week I was down the Dome ----the smell of dope wafted up to the BEST seats :ohmy:

Lynyrd Skynyrd before and after the plane crash was a highlight---as was Wishbone Ash

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yup, it was On A Storytellers Night. Eastbourne Winter Gardens. First Thin Lizzy, what a way to start.

I did have to conveniently forget my gran taking me to The Dome some years earlier to see The Spinners. (No not the Detroit Ones)

We had this conversation at work some years ago and a middle aged Jamaican woman in our office said: 'Oh it was, oh I can't remember, what was his name now?.... Oh yes, Otis.' It turned out she was at the 1967 Stax UK Tour. Otis Redding.... with Sam and Dave.... and Eddie Floyd, and Arthur Conley and Booker T and the bloody MGs. I told her she had won and went off to cry.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Accompanied by an 'adult': SLF (London Rainbow) July 80
Unaccompanied by an 'adult': The Jam (Bracknell Sports Centre) Nov 80

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Curved Air - Alexandra Palace, May 1972
e2e3975ef9591b12b4f879294ff5ce71.jpg

scooter1

How soon is now?
The Stones in about 76 or 77 at Knebworth supported by Lynrd Skynrd, I was very young(4 or 5). My old man got busted for smoking weed, and instead of actually arresting him the police just emptied his home grown grass tin. And then our car broke down on the way home and my mum had to leave her gold earrings with the garage until we sent the money for then repairs.
Its amazing what sticks with you from a young age

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ted Nugent, I really can't remember if it was in Aachen or Cologne, we lived in Holland at the time near to the German border. Adam and the Antz or Saxon was my first in the UK, in Brighton, 1979ish.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Screaming Lord Sutch at the Top Rank Halloween 1971 but sneaked in through the fire exit and only saw the last few minutes.
First proper gig was Slade, Thin Lizzy and Suzi Quatro at the Top Rank 1972.

I was at those as well, but this was probably my first proper gig.......Mungo Jerry in the Montpelier Rooms..... Incredible times and memories.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/58038062@N07/11223783904/

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It isn't cool but I had fun and I was about 11 years old. Showaddywaddy at the Brighton Centre in 1981. The first gig by myself was King Kurt in Portsmouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here