Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Champions League

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Used to watch it and enjoy it a while back when on ITV. Sure as shit never going to subscribe to watch it now though (unless ???).

It's the same teams lining up against each other every year and it's boring as piss. I would envisage the same apathy after the initial pazazz of any potential european SUPER league.

The magic of all cup competitions has died in the last few years as the odds are just stacked too high versus the gluttonous corporations which govern modern football.

Last edited:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I was chatting at work about this, how the media hypes the champions league as the best thing ever but no one talks about it - all more interested in our own footie (premier to league 2) Not sure what would happen if European league forms

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Madrid vs PSG was a fantastically entertaining game. Two of the favourites. Drama, controversy and goals. The quality of football is so high. As a football fan, I really enjoy watching these type of games, the best players in the world all on the pitch together. Of course nothing beats watching Brighton, but these kind of games I can't miss either.

I watched it too. Was good to see PSG lose. The sense of entitlement from their club/supporters is staggering. They'll sweep the board again on the domestic front and continue to convince themselves they're one of the truly elite global clubs. Not for me.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was chatting at work about this, how the media hypes the champions league as the best thing ever but no one talks about it - all more interested in our own footie (premier to league 2) Not sure what would happen if European league forms

Do you think that ITV losing its (free to air) rights for CL football, led to the decline in interest in this country? When they aired it, most sports fans I knew tuned in.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Definitely interested in it though pick and choose the games I watch (very few Group stages games), Juve v Spurs was fantastic but decided against either of last nights but kept a close eye on progress via twitter. Always cheer on the English club regardless.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Porto 0 - 5 Liverpool happening in front of me on the TV right now. Incredible stuff from Liverpool - nice of them to bother to turn up tonight.

Great comeback from Spurs last night. 2-0 down at Juve, but come back to draw and sets it up for a cracking second leg at Wembley.

Man City beat some noddy side away handsomely last night too.

Have any of these things even had a mention on NSC over the past couple of days? Do Albion fans, as a fanbase, just not give a toss about the Champions League?

As is playing out this season, the European Super League is a reality. Us lot back home are just the domestic friendlies that they have to play.

Even the European Super League is a joke, as there's probably only a top 6 that can actually win it.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Could be a bonus if the top 4 premier league places are close to being locked down and these clubs are still in Europe by the time we play them.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's hidden away on BT Sport so not much of an audience outside of the teams involved. Bizarrely it's not that visible a tournament in the UK. Was quite telling the Sky were willing to give up the rights to it. I actually would not be too upset if the greedy clubs did split and formed their own money driven league and left the real football to the rest of us. I suspect it wouldn't last too long.

As a competition it does get more interesting from this point on, but both European competitions are too bloated to hold much appeal for the neutral.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I couldn't believe that scoreline.

I've been watching BBC4's Spiral on iplayer with the wife, it's very good, but I would loved to have watched that attacking football on BT.

Have Porto ever been annihilated at home before?

Spiral is the best thing on TV - fact!

I had a 5 game both score acca, Porto were the only team not to score. They'll score at Anfield when I'm not betting on them...

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Zero interest these days and for most of the last 5 or 6 years really. Before that would vaguely follow the English teams in Europe and a few interesting ties between other nations clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It’s great. I just didn’t check in here last night. Very enjoyable watching such a high standard of football.

About time Man City did something in Europe, and Spurs and Liverpool’s games seem like they could suit the CL.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The myth of Valentines robbed me of the chance of catching last night's matches. Watched most of the Juve/Spurs game and that was a cracker. I've BT, so happy to watch some games.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I actually really really like the Champions league knockout stages. There is genuine drama and it's all very watchable. It is proof for me that these megateams should be left to their own devices in their EuroHyperLeague and that normal football should be left to us mere mortals.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I couldn't believe that scoreline.

I've been watching BBC4's Spiral on iplayer with the wife, it's very good, but I would loved to have watched that attacking football on BT.

Have Porto ever been annihilated at home before?

I can't find the figures but the income of any Premier League team now must dwarf those of any Portuguese and most other European clubs these days, so I guess it's inevitable.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I watched it too. Was good to see PSG lose. The sense of entitlement from their club/supporters is staggering. They'll sweep the board again on the domestic front and continue to convince themselves they're one of the truly elite global clubs. Not for me.

Likewise, watched the second half of that. Some truly fantastic football at times. Quite enjoyed seeing PSG bottling it yet again😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Man City beat some noddy side away handsomely last night too.
Older club than ours, smaller city, bigger ground. Not good enough for City, but still.

Have any of these things even had a mention on NSC over the past couple of days? Do Albion fans, as a fanbase, just not give a toss about the Champions League?
I'd like to have watched them, but don't have BT, and I can't even watch highlights on anything else.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Posters might be reluctant to compliment another PL club on nsc, especially in top 6, with the inevitable backlash of alleged disloyalty to the Albion. Seems to be rife this season, for example, around the time of the Liverpool and Chelsea home games.

There are plenty who jump on the I hate Liverpool bandwagon on here for as long as I can remember.

For me I want Chelsea knocked out and Liverpool, Spurs and the two Manchester clubs in the semi finals (if that's possible). Then Chelsea will be better placed to beat our rivals and we might face a weaken team when we play the other four. Liverpool v Man Utd final would be superb as they are the last two teams we face this season.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If there was more variety in the clubs from the Premier League competing I'd be more interested. I enjoyed watching Leicester in it. Bored of the "big 6" though I don't care at all for their fortunes, there's nothing to get behind or be interested in there at all. I'd rather watch a top of the table Championship game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here