Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryan Mason

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Completely agree although don't most players have insurance to cover just this sort of incident?

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if his insurance will mean he will never have to work again like us mere mortals. Feel sorry for the guy but the insurance and support is what his union is for. He will also have been earning a pretty penny over the years he has played.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely agree although don't most players have insurance to cover just this sort of incident?

Players who are injured are covered, but players who develop illnesses aren't. John Piercy was only 25 when he had to retire due to colitis. He didn't get any insurance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if his insurance will mean he will never have to work again like us mere mortals. Feel sorry for the guy but the insurance and support is what his union is for. He will also have been earning a pretty penny over the years he has played.

Someone else, previously in similar shoes, talking on R5 tonight - hit with depression after the unexpected and abrupt career end - money isn't everything, especially when you have already earned enough to set you up for a long time.... it is the change in expectations (of a meaningful career) and the instant conversion (from being a somebody - as players are - to a nobody, without any foregoing swansong and time for reflection). FFS I am depressed just thinking about it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Someone else, previously in similar shoes, talking on R5 tonight - hit with depression after the unexpected and abrupt career end - money isn't everything, especially when you have already earned enough to set you up for a long time.... it is the change in expectations (of a meaningful career) and the instant conversion (from being a somebody - as players are - to a nobody, without any foregoing swansong and time for reflection). FFS I am depressed just thinking about it.

Like I said, his union should be there to provide the support. Plus, hopefully, he has a good network of family and friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here