Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=20940]del[/MENTION]etebeepbeep is asking for 500 quid bike recommendations over on the tria****n thread.

Sounds like halfords cycle 2 work is an option so I've suggested boardman and also pointed to the road.cc 500 quid bike article. Anything to add from the geeks?

Yes. Do not bother with the swim or the run. :lolol:

Just the usual stuff, don't rush the purchase, try as many bikes as you can, the way it looks actually is important (to some extent). We really need to find all the best posts on this stuff and direct people to read them, rather than regurgitating the same old lines. Early on, 'outsiders' got really in depth thoughts from us on purchasing a bike, now we are becoming a little jaded I feel.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oi! Get in line. Hands off, she's mine!

Oh no you don't.

A mud splattered rain soaked Olympic medal performance was good enough for me, thank you very much.

(Edna's not been about for a while, has she !!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. Do not bother with the swim or the run. :lolol:

Just the usual stuff, don't rush the purchase, try as many bikes as you can, the way it looks actually is important (to some extent). We really need to find all the best posts on this stuff and direct people to read them, rather than regurgitating the same old lines. Early on, 'outsiders' got really in depth thoughts from us on purchasing a bike, now we are becoming a little jaded I feel.
I always feel this is the job of the next generation newbie 'geek'.

It's 'the' talk handed down through the generations :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another great week of riding with a day still to go.
It certainly has been.
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] can be grateful [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION] hasn't signed up to the strava group.
SBS did the wiggle long one today coming in at 124 miles.

Which means the 3 of us combined managed just 50 miles more than [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] did on his own last Sunday :lol: :

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hi guys anyone cycling today's London To Brighton enjoy your visit to Mid Sussex on the way through.
A very good cause well done .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good old Father's Day.

My LBS man loves it, offloading god knows what onto my kids.
Apparently this year, along with the licorice and Haribo I'll love one of:-

zipvit-zv7-energy-gel-box.jpg

The Bakewell Tart flavour. :lol:

Last edited:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Did my first ever London to Brighton today and what a thoroughly pleasant experience it was. The crowning glory was the view of the Amex after climbing Ditchling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Argh maintenance help needed geeks.

I've been riding Stat Steed pretty hard recently, and it's getting blooming noisy, esp under pressure.
I've dropped the chain a couple of times.

I bought a new chain, but on closer inspection my crank has a tiny bit of play in it, which may well explain the noise when ridden hard and/or out of the saddle.
(Oh and some of the teeth are very worn, grrrr)

Here's the problem my hack has a 'hollowtech' crank, I can 'Private Pile' the pooh out of that.

But my carbon bike has a conventional Bottom Bracket, or at least I thought it did.

It turns out there's nothing inside the crank, once the 'end caps' are off, for the removal tool to push again, to get the arms off?

What bloody obvious thing am I not seeing, or just doing wrong?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My mincing legs kept waking me up overnight telling me not to go out this morning. No idea why, but it was funking murder. While it was a low distance / average speed / fanny about up the hills type of ride, it was a good work out.

And an open goal awaits [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] on strava.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Argh maintenance help needed geeks.

I've been riding Stat Steed pretty hard recently, and it's getting blooming noisy, esp under pressure.
I've dropped the chain a couple of times.

I bought a new chain, but on closer inspection my crank has a tiny bit of play in it, which may well explain the noise when ridden hard and/or out of the saddle.
(Oh and some of the teeth are very worn, grrrr)

Here's the problem my hack has a 'hollowtech' crank, I can 'Private Pile' the pooh out of that.

But my carbon bike has a conventional Bottom Bracket, or at least I thought it did.

It turns out there's nothing inside the crank, once the 'end caps' are off, for the removal tool to push again, to get the arms off?

What bloody obvious thing am I not seeing, or just doing wrong?

I assume its Campag? Is it Ultra Torque?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My mincing legs kept waking me up overnight telling me not to go out this morning. No idea why, but it was funking murder. While it was a low distance / average speed / fanny about up the hills type of ride, it was a good work out.

And an open goal awaits [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] on strava.

You what now? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume its Campag? Is it Ultra Torque?
Sorry my mistake, my hack is Ultra Torque, the non-fishing tackle version of Hollowtech.

As said on my Summer bike once the end caps are off, I can look straight through the whole, perfectly smooth, BB, so there's nothing to push against to remove the crank..
I'm now beginning to think it an ISIS Drive bottom bracket, which, if nothing else, is going to make my google search history 'interesting'.

Edit - Yep I'm now pretty sure it's got an Isis drive BB, which is why I can't remove the cranks.
Nothing's ever easy!!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now we have 41 members on Geeks Strava.

WHO THE FLIP ARE YOU??

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello strangers :wave:

Firstly the BBC have a decent interview with Cav:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33222937

Secondly, I've just quantified my 2015 through my cycling (more = good, less = bad).
Having looked up my Strava stats, which I'm happy enough with, I'm now wondering where everybody else is at.

2773.7 miles
159.1 hours.
Climbing 126,677ft

Basically a [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] day out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here