Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey I wish I hadn't made a big thing about last weeks distances.

1066 is now a centurion. :clap:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'd pay £400 to have my bar tape done properly.
Just don't tell my LBS man.

Doing the headset is my 'therapy' job.
My bearings are loose so I'm sat there with tweezers replacing each one of the 30 odd tiny bearings individually back into the cups.

That is madness, but in your case, hardly surprising. :lolol::wink:

Bearings come in round bits, and you don't have to bother with the little balls, as it were.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is madness, but in your case, hardly surprising. :lolol::wink:

Bearings come in round bits, and you don't have to bother with the little balls, as it were.
So I keep telling Glyn (Mr LBS).
But he insists I do it old skool.

I guess he's got some kind of Mr Miyagi complex.

Anyway it's not much of a hassle, now I've had enough practise.
Everything in little bowls.
The cups packed in grease.
Don't get grease on the tweezers.
and don't drop the cup on the way back to the frame.

All lessons learned the hard way, but it is very rewarding when done.
As I found out the other week when replacing my crank bearings.
Stat hack is so smooth right now it's definitely contributing to my current 'form'.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So I keep telling Glyn (Mr LBS).
But he insists I do it old skool.

I guess he's got some kind of Mr Miyagi complex.

Anyway it's not much of a hassle, now I've had enough practise.
Everything in little bowls.
The cups packed in grease.
Don't get grease on the tweezers.
and don't drop the cup on the way back to the frame.

All lessons learned the hard way, but it is very rewarding when done.
As I found out the other week when replacing by crank bearings.
Stat hack is so smooth right now it's definitely contributing to my current 'form'.

You must have good eyes. Mine are straining just thinking about using tweezers to manipulate tiny balls.

Ooer, missus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In February! Absolutely brilliant, well done 1066.
As lovely a day as it was today, who in their right mind decides the middle of February is century o'clock. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wow, that's about as fast as my top speed going down hill! Mind you, there is normally trees in the way :lolol:
I'm trying to get my 7 year old boy into bikes, he loves going down hill but moans like mad going up, he's still quite nervous as well, he broke his arm when he was 5 on his second time on a bike :ohmy:
We've got a night ride planned for tomorrow and I've just looked at the weather, not looking good:annoyed: Unfortunatly we have this stupid no excuse policy, we go whatever the weather.

I've taken our 10 and 6 yr old out on a night ride. Rye Nature Reserve, pitch black and not a soul around but we have good lights. They absolutely loved it! We shall be doing more of these, especially during the school holidays :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In February! Absolutely brilliant, well done 1066.

As lovely a day as it was today, who in their right mind decides the middle of February is century o'clock. :lol:

Thanks all.

As I never tire of keep saying - I don't do hot weather. Doing that ride in July would be a major achievement for me - this time of year I find much more comfortable.

I'm a bit frustrated that hold ups and two chain drops on descents (must invest in a chain catcher) ate into my avg. I think I could have made 16mph otherwise, which I would have been well chuffed with for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've taken our 10 and 6 yr old out on a night ride. Rye Nature Reserve, pitch black and not a soul around but we have good lights. They absolutely loved it! We shall be doing more of these, especially during the school holidays :)
Oi none of this light hiding under Gary Bussell.

Don't go posting your first century then come on here talking about Rye Nature Reserve.
Come on how was the ride?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks all.

As I never tire of keep saying - I don't do hot weather. Doing that ride in July would be a major achievement for me - this time of year I find much more comfortable.

I'm a bit frustrated that hold ups and two chain drops on descents (must invest in a chain catcher) ate into my avg. I think I could have made 16mph otherwise, which I would have been well chuffed with for me.

Dropping below 7 hours for 100 miles is absolutely great in my book.

Don't listen to the likes of [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]. :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oi none of this light hiding under Gary Bussell.

Don't go posting your first century then come on here talking about Rye Nature Reserve.
Come on how was the ride?

See above.

One thing I will add though is a nice little tale.

Leaning on a 5 bar gate somewhere near Shadoxhurst, munching on a banana and just enjoying the view. A 4x4 pulls over on the road beside me. The woman driving it asks if I was ok (I didn't look too worse for wear at this point I hope :lol:) and did I need anything, like water bottle filling. The car had some sort of Events logo on it so I asked if there was an event taking place, to which she replied " No, just that I live local and always like to make sure cyclists are ok and if they need anything". What a lovely lady!

The usual nods on the road to and from fellow cyclists too. I bloody love this cycling lark me! :) Does wonders for my soul.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dropping below 7 hours for 100 miles is absolutely great in my book.

Don't listen to the likes of [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION]. :wink:
[MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] isn't real, that's what I tell myself, anyway.

Time doesn't come into it 1066, your first is only about the distance, nobody can take 'centurion' away from you now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had a little look at Arredondo at 33/1 for Oman GC before the race started but chickened out as it's too early to work out form.

Having seen today's finish and seeing he's still 33/1 with Paddy Power I'm now going to be having a bit of that action e/w.

Worth a look folks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey!, either Paddy Power missed a trick or Oman GC betting is a minuscule market. I put £5 e/w on Arredondo @33/1 and now I see they've already slashed his odds to 16/1 :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched Andalusia, all bar about 20 riders got wiped out in 2 crashes.
Kirkenko caused the second moments after the first.
He was riding on the front, took out the fella next to him and boom everyone else came down.
If was as if a wall was raised across the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here