Dexter
Parks
Lenham L
Cooper
Thomson
Buss A
Snow
Bates

See where I'm coming from? (I was there!)

Like to see a day last 124 overs these days - it wouldn't finish until gone 9.00

And imagine scoring at under 3 over an over and winning ...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Like to see a day last 124 overs these days - it wouldn't finish until gone 9.00

And imagine scoring at under 3 over an over and winning ...

Good stuff. I was there in 1993 and that was 120 overs and finished in the dark.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good stuff. I was there in 1993 and that was 120 overs and finished in the dark.

I was there too, kudos to Warwicks for facing Stephenson in the gloom.

IIRC, that match started at 10.30 not 11.00: imagine what it would have been like 30 minutes later

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Speight
Joyce
Goodwin
Adams
Wells
Prior
Imran Khan
Le roux
Kirtley
Ahmed
Lewry

Unbeatable !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was there too, kudos to Warwicks for facing Stephenson in the gloom.

IIRC, that match started at 10.30 not 11.00: imagine what it would have been like 30 minutes later

Yes it was a 10.30 start. I remember being sat up in the Edrich upper when Warwickshire hit the running runs. I couldn't see the ball but I remember Martin Speight running and I thought for a second he could and was under it. It was a great knock by Asif Din.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thought Martin Speight was a fine player and almost ahead of his time in his range of shots. Hugely talented player but ended up going to Durham?

Don't think Speight really fulfilled his promise. He always looked good but an average of 31 didn't do justice to his talents.

He was one of several players to depart in 1996 (along with Alan Wells, Giddins, Salisbury and Law). That ultimately had a positive effect as it led to the Night of the Long Knives in March 1997 - I still remember the buzzing atmosphere in the Metropole that night, it felt like a revolution (which it was really)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
1. Wessels
2. Langridge
3. Dexter
4. Miandad
5. Goodwin
6. Greig
7. Imran
8. Prior
9. Le Roux
10. Snow
11. Mushtaq

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My all-time favourite Sussex Xi would include Giles Cheatle, Austin Edward Werring Parsons, Paul Philipson, Jerry Morley, John Spencer, Roger Philip Twells Marshall, Tony & Mike Buss, John Denman and Peter Graves but that is another story altogether.
Two of those you mentioned coached me.

:)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Another vote for Jason Lewry, considering some of the Dross that were selected for England during his playing career it is a scandal he was never capped...

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
No one seems to have found place for the Rev. David Sheppard who played for England and later became Bishop of Liverpool.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No one seems to have found place for the Rev. David Sheppard who played for England and later became Bishop of Liverpool.

I think you'd need to be quite old to have seen him play? He was a great Bishop though! A campaigning anti-poverty champion. Might get into a composite dream team for ethical reasons and as a counter-balance to those who went on rebel tours to S Africa?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
beat the West Indies

Yes - was there on the Saturday too. A very proud day in the county's history as this WI side were awesome and thrashed England in the Test series. I remember that Ken Suttle took one to the head from Charlie Griffith during the game? Didn't stop him from breaking the record for consecutive appearances in the County Championship. (Note to younger readers: Griffith was a 'chucker' and just about the fastest around at the time - and of course no helmets in those days.)
Those games against tourists used to be so exciting - a real shame that they now hardly feature. Also living in Sussex you'd have the first peak at the touring sides at Arundel. Bloody hell: a nostalgia-fest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here