Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3-5-2!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well at least this experiment will never happen again. Our best players are our wingers, this system leaves them out of the team. Our main problem is lack of pace, this formation make absolutely sure none of the little pace we do have is on the pitch.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Further thoughts, this formation also means centre backs are coming directly up against Hazard and Willian. They are tearing them a new one. Change it now Hughton.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
To think that CH is influenced by comments on an internet message board is stretching the realms of credibility somewhat.

But even if he was, he definitely shouldn't be.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Well at least this experiment will never happen again. Our best players are our wingers, this system leaves them out of the team. Our main problem is lack of pace, this formation make absolutely sure none of the little pace we do have is on the pitch.

Whilst I agree I wonder if this formation is being tested with our new striker in mind. We do look much more dangerous going forward today.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Whilst I agree I wonder if this formation is being tested with our new striker in mind. We do look much more dangerous going forward today.

Test it against someone who is not Chelsea? We should be capable of practising a thing during the week and implementing it on the Saturday. Not just throwing a game away like we have done here. Sorry but there is an inevitability about playing this formation against a team with the quality of inside forwards that Chelsea have.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Our best players are our wingers, this system leaves them out of the team. Our main problem is lack of pace, this formation make absolutely sure none of the little pace we do have is on the pitch.

If we're going to fanny around with formations, why not play Knocky in the middle? Hazard is terrorising us and Knocky has similar attributes.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We should have scored at least once, I am not ready to bin this formation yet (I'll let Chris know)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We should have scored at least once, I am not ready to bin this formation yet (I'll let Chris know)

There is nothing wrong with 3-5-2 as a formation for Brighton against most teams. We do look better going forward because the midfielders are getting forward. Just against Chelsea with Hazard and Willian playing where they do.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No need to get so volatile about it, just stating what I see and I'm being attacked for it. Probably shouldn't expect any different from a football forum but nonetheless I don't appreciate it.
I would happily take a 3-5-2 so long as it's being used positively, this looks anything but however in my humble opinion.
Hughton's made a bold decision in trying to go parallel with Chelsea, and it could work, I'm just pointing out that we're likely to be on the back foot for much of the game which negates any benefits a 3-5-2 has with regards attacking and pressing. Should Schelotto and Suttner be marked out of the game, we'd be starved of supply in wide areas with the formation quickly turning into more of a 5 back, and seeing as we are a unit that relies heavily on the supply from our wide players (which we haven't been getting of late), this could be an accident waiting to happen with us being so narrow in this set up, but we will just have to wait and see.
Shape wise, it doesn't look like a 3-5-2 as Hemed is not alongside a recognised striker or even a shadow striker from the looks of where Gross will be playing. March and Gross look like CAMs or at a stretch, wingers in this lineup. Unless Gross is dropping back into the midfield three and we're playing March as a striker, it can't be a 3-5-2 when we're attacking, it has to be more along the lines of a 3-4-2-1 at best with the two number 10's being considerably far apart from the striker. Wouldn't say we've been crying out for a three man defence, it of course provides you with more bodies centrally and could help with the corner defending problem. If anything we've been crying out for a 4-4-2 (this is what I see people suggesting usually) in light of our impotence going forward, and just for Hughton to work his magic in making these players more disciplined from set pieces.

Wasn't getting volatile, just to clear that up.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Barring the two goals we conceded I think we look pretty good, most attacking Ive seen us for a while. Whatever formation we would have played Chelsea are always going to be dangerous in and around the box

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
this game is ****ing mental. I have never seen a team have so many good chances without one going in or a penalty been given.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Barring the two goals we conceded I think we look pretty good, most attacking Ive seen us for a while. Whatever formation we would have played Chelsea are always going to be dangerous in and around the box

I like seeing Propper having a go, & he was very unlucky to hit the post.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Further thoughts, this formation also means centre backs are coming directly up against Hazard and Willian. They are tearing them a new one. Change it now Hughton.

Test it against someone who is not Chelsea? We should be capable of practising a thing during the week and implementing it on the Saturday. Not just throwing a game away like we have done here. Sorry but there is an inevitability about playing this formation against a team with the quality of inside forwards that Chelsea have.

There is nothing wrong with 3-5-2 as a formation for Brighton against most teams. We do look better going forward because the midfielders are getting forward. Just against Chelsea with Hazard and Willian playing where they do.

Just going to rest my case here. Hazard running at centre backs again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Agreed, the formation worked. It wasn't the set up that cost us it was a couple of untidy errors, a world class move, and superior opposition.

Lots of opportunities created.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here