Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
England wore the armband with a poppy in 2011, when FIFA said it couldn't be on a shirt, so there is a precedent. This time FIFA is saying the armbands can't be wron either. The English, Welsh & Scottish FAs, are saying we will wear the armbands.

If FIFA want to punish us, our answer would be why wasn't it wrong 5 years ago?

But why didn't they wear armbands back in the 1920s and all those intervening years up to 2011? Why do we have to wear armbands now? What is wrong with just having ceremonial wreaths beforehand?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But why didn't they wear armbands back in the 1920s and all those intervening years up to 2011? Why do we have to wear armbands now? What is wrong with just having ceremonial wreaths beforehand?

i don't know the answers to those questions. I do know FIFA are saying we can't do something the allowed 5 years ago.
Why have they changed their mind?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
People sometimes want to do stuff. Why is that an issue? Perhaps we should bribe FIFA like Russia and Qatar did for the world cup?

So what is wrong with following the traditional path of buying a poppy and reflecting in silence at 11am every 11 November? Perhaps even visiting the local war memorial on the day as well. Why can't each team walk out with a wreath?

So it's back to the original question, why was this not an issue from the 1920s to 2011? Why has this changed? Why is FA making an issue out of it?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So what is wrong with following the traditional path of buying a poppy and reflecting in silence at 11am every 11 November? Perhaps even visiting the local war memorial on the day as well. Why can't each team walk out with a wreath?

So it's back to the original question, why was this not an issue from the 1920s to 2011? Why has this changed? Why is FA making an issue out of it?
There is nothing wrong with what you describe. But there is also nothing wrong with traditions changing over time or something new starting.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Quite agree. It symbolises the constant need to visually 'show' support, approval, disapproval, rejection for EVERYTHING these days to the point, in this instance especially, that people lose sight of what's really important. It matters not whether people wear a poppy or not. I completely deplore the ironic conflict regarding Poppies that rises every year now around Armistice day when it never used to during the lifetimes of most veterans. It seems the legacy is destined to be division and petty squabbling amongst future generations who'd do well to observe the quiet dignity and stoicism of the war generations. Shows how pathetic we've become really, the two FAs should hang their heads in shame once again for this their latest PR disaster. Time and a place and Wembley certainly ain't it on the 11th in this respect. 11am wherever you are and if you chose to is when the Nation reflects which includes football even if it has disappeared up its own backside long ago.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There is nothing wrong with what you describe. But there is also nothing wrong with traditions changing over time or something new starting.

Armistice Day isn't a tradition. It's an officially recognised day and time in the public calendar. Nobody is starting anything new. How or if people chose to observe varies but that's not tradition, just difference.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just seen the comments by the PM who has utterly politicised it :)

When you start using comments like "given their lives for our safety and security" you've effectively opened the door for any country to use that reasoning to wear something to "celebrate" a military victory.

This is the problem. How on earth did Poppies become a patriotic nationalist thing ? The British Legion must be so frustrated.

I personally don't wear one.

1) I'd lose it
2) I rather think about things when I want rather than make an event about it.
3) I find "wearing something" in such circumstances a bit odd. I don't feel the need to let complete strangers what I think in such circumstances.

I've always felt like that and it isn't political. The white poppy thing is nonsense, just because some people use the red poppy in the wrong way, no need to take an income stream off the British Legion.

The above makes me a bit bad - so I put paper in the collecting tin and not coins and politely turn down the poppy on the basis I will probably lose it.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Rememberence day wear a Poppy and pay respect at 11am on the 11th fine but why such a massive fuss for overpaid egoistical idiots to wear an arm band? We are becoming a nation of people who don't remember but just love to grieve dwell and take pride in who gave the best minutes applause. Next we will have celebrity rememberence of their favourite pets.

In a 100 years time nobody will do **** all because they are either silent or clapping. And whilst I'm on a rant let's dig up some enquires like Hillsborough and the minors strike and dwell on them too.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Just seen the comments by the PM who has utterly politicised it :)

When you start using comments like "given their lives for our safety and security" you've effectively opened the door for any country to use that reasoning to wear something to "celebrate" a military victory.

This is the problem. How on earth did Poppies become a patriotic nationalist thing ? The British Legion must be so frustrated.

I personally don't wear one.

1) I'd lose it
2) I rather think about things when I want rather than make an event about it.
3) I find "wearing something" in such circumstances a bit odd. I don't feel the need to let complete strangers what I think in such circumstances.

I've always felt like that and it isn't political. The white poppy thing is nonsense, just because some people use the red poppy in the wrong way, no need to take an income stream off the British Legion.

The above makes me a bit bad - so I put paper in the collecting tin and not coins and politely turn down the poppy on the basis I will probably lose it.
You stated that you understand fifas position , and why they have reservations, I asked you why they had no reservations over this IMG_0471.JPG

you still haven't answered , why ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am in the unusual position of almost agreeing with FIFA except they have already conceded the issue by allowing it before and as [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] points out, far more political emblems have been allowed.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Should we also wear poppies in respect for the brave service men/women who put down rebellions in the former British empire?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Should we also wear poppies in respect for the brave service men/women who put down rebellions in the former British empire?

I guess we do / have always. Worth remembering these were typically made up of native contingents under British officers who gave their lives. Every bit as brave as eg a soldier born in the UK though. I wouldn't infer Rebellions were a positive change however. Many such countries were in a state of perpetual violence prior to British rule and glad to seek protection in return for Empire status.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rememberence day wear a Poppy and pay respect at 11am on the 11th fine but why such a massive fuss for overpaid egoistical idiots to wear an arm band? We are becoming a nation of people who don't remember but just love to grieve dwell and take pride in who gave the best minutes applause. Next we will have celebrity rememberence of their favourite pets.

In a 100 years time nobody will do **** all because they are either silent or clapping. And whilst I'm on a rant let's dig up some enquires like Hillsborough and the minors strike and dwell on them too.

This this and THIS AGAIN! Well said.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You stated that you understand fifas position , and why they have reservations, I asked you why they had no reservations over this View attachment 79127

you still haven't answered , why ?

Because I didn't read your post Bushy :)

Just read it. I have no idea why FIFA didn't have reservations but they should have had.

.. but did anyone actually bother to apply to FIFA :)

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
[tweet]793946667770871812[/tweet]

POPPY WAR! Thank GOD our brave tabloid journos do the RIGHT thing and show PROPER respect.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Trouble i have is that 50000+ supporters at international matches with banners and protest and acts of political make up are freely allowed without sanction. National emblems often represent something political, and anyway, how do you seperate a national team from a nations history.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
It's not political at all , soldiers do what politicians tell them to do , you are an utter cock.

Hold on, if you are going to have a debate please stop throwing insults around like a child. For the record I didn't even say it was my view. I am simply pointing out that the whole issue depends on you standpoint on the armed forces. It is political.

Nobody forces soldiers to do anything, they volunteer to be in the armed forces. Anyone signing up over the past 15 years would have a pretty good idea that they are likely to be deployed within places like Afghanistan, Iraq etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here