Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA receive offer to sell Wembley...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
NFL in England - is there really the demand? I get that one off games sell out - but a permanent team?

if this means that FA Cup semis go back to other stadiums, however small a thing that might be, I'll be pleased

For the cost it always seemed a bit of a white elephant. The FA would be mad not to sell.The bonus being England games moving around and the FA Cup semis going back to how they should always have remained.

Why ?

We don't even need a national stadium. Other countries seem to get by alright without one, and with the superb standard of stadia in this country nowadays, I don't see the point of building another one in the middle of England just to call it the national one.

The England football team should always play their friendlies and qualifiers around the nation IMO, and I don't know anyone who wouldn't be happy to see the FA Cup semi's played at neutral club grounds again.

The Guardian article on this says the semis will remain at Wembley. :(

Could be wrong I guess.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Exactly, with the odd exception Wembley is a soulless bowl with little atmosphere.

All grounds are souless bowls, it is then up to the fans to generate an atmosphere. The first time I went to new Wembley was to see England play Russia (3-0, little micky scored a brace) and the atmosphere there was fantastic yet people watching on TV stated that it was very quiet.

I have no problem with the ground being sold, so long as the public get their money plus interest back. The FA Cup final should stay there and some England matches but we have enough 40k plus stadiums up and down the country for other matches to be played elsewhere. Chelsea already own Kingsmeadow, they can play their home games there whilst rebuilding Stamford Bridge. Capacity is about 5000, I think.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When England were on 'the tour' it was brilliant. Seeing them play at Old Trafford, St James's Park etc really did add something to it.

That and FINALLY moving the FA Cup semi's back to a neutral ground would be wonderful.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Wembley: Football Association offered £800m to sell national football stadium

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has made an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to buy Wembley Stadium from the Football Association.

It is understood Khan's bid includes £500m for the stadium and £300m for the FA to keep the Club Wembley debenture and hospitality business.

The FA board discussed the approach at a meeting on Thursday.

"We would strive to be the best possible steward for a venue that is iconic," said Khan."

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned somewhere already.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
if this means that FA Cup semis go back to other stadiums, however small a thing that might be, I'll be pleased

Funny but this was the first thing I thought. If it means that less games are played there in general that has to be a good thing. Should be limited to some England matches, FA and League Cup final and Play Offs. I'd possibly even suggest the play offs finals should be moved to a league ground. There are plenty 50,000 plus stadiums around now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So do we think FUlham will then use it? That could be a total disaster like West Ham's move.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Spurs have a contract with the NFL to host 2 matches every year for 10 years. Indeed, the stadium's design was created with NFL in mind.

I can't see Levy being stitched up when the contract's been signed, and I think even with a London franchise based at Wembley the Tottenham NFL matches would sell out.

The big loser is Chelsea who need Wembley as a temporary home whilst they build their new stadium.

They could play at Gillingham.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Flog it and build a load of 4g pitches for kids to play on. I don't think we need a national stadium

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
any mention of the impact on small clubs... ?

The same DULLARD has just been on the BBC News Channel and said “If Fulham are promoted and move to Wembley it would effectively leave just one small club from London in the Premier League in the shape of Crystal Palace”

#MissionAccomplished

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The same DULLARD has just been on the BBC News Channel and said “If Fulham are promoted and move to Wembley it would effectively leave just one small club from London in the Premier League in the shape of Crystal Palace”

#MissionAccomplished

assuming they stay up!

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
The public money should of course be paid back in full plus interest. And definitely no need for a National Stadium at all. We have plenty of grounds that can hold the 30,000 who still bother going to watch England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here