Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Another vote for the Garmin ForeRunner 235.
I had an Apple Series 1 watch before...utter shite! Waste of space as a 'fitness' watch. Sold it on Ebayer for £175 and brought a Garmin instead.
Love the 235, its everything an Apple watch is trying to be!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Blimey! It's cold out there. Still made it out today because I'd set myself a target of running another 10 miles by the end of the month. Not so much fussed about the 90 miles in November, but it brings 1,000 miles run in 2016. It's my benchmark nowadays and I'm chuffed that it's done with a month to spare. With apologies to all those still on the injury bench and the treatment room – hope you all manage to make it back out there soon...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1466229552

My 6 weeks out over the year mean I'm a month behind you. December was looking worrying as I still had over 100 miles to cover but I've managed to put in a few good runs and by Sunday night I'll have got it down to 75. Well done for getting it done before silly season kicks in.

Well done [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]. Restoring some faith in the ballot system

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not going to get anywhere near the 1,000 miles but that will be a target for 2017 for me.

My targets for next year are;
5k - 19:00
10k - 40:00
HM - 1:28:00
M - 3:15:00

I may only run one marathon next year to really focus on the shorter distances but do a lot of speed work. I'd like to be able to get up earlier in the day so I have more options for training, but I just can't get up before 9am. Whatever I do the night before, I can't get up earlier than that unless I have a race to go to. I was up at 5am for the Beachy Head marathon, which is crazy for a saturday when I've been trying to be awake for a Parkrun every saturday this year, but managed it twice.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not going to get anywhere near the 1,000 miles but that will be a target for 2017 for me.

5k - 18:59
10k - 39:59
HM - 1:27:59
M - 3:14:59

I may only run one marathon next year to really focus on the shorter distances but do a lot of speed work. I'd like to be able to get up earlier in the day so I have more options for training, but I just can't get up before 9am. Whatever I do the night before, I can't get up earlier than that unless I have a race to go to. I was up at 5am for the Beachy Head marathon, which is crazy for a saturday when I've been trying to be awake for a Parkrun every saturday this year, but managed it twice.

Edited your times for you.

I'm the opposite and wish Parkrun started at 8am or earlier so I can get on with things. Have you tried putting your running stuff next to the bed and putting it on as soon as you wake? I found that pretty useful for the early Sunday starts in January and February this year. Helps the fuzzy brain know what is required that morning.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

5k - 19:00
10k - 40:00
HM - 1:28:00
M - 3:15:00

Great targets. I'm another who can't get up in the mornings.. Try for an early run about 5am most days and fail miserably. Between 5-6 is free time before the tribe awake but can I do it.. I think I've managed it about twice in three or four weeks.. Thinking of just getting an exercise bike or elliptical trainer so I can jump on early without having to brave the outside.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Edited your times for you.

I'm the opposite and wish Parkrun started at 8am or earlier so I can get on with things. Have you tried putting your running stuff next to the bed and putting it on as soon as you wake? I found that pretty useful for the early Sunday starts in January and February this year. Helps the fuzzy brain know what is required that morning.

I like round numbers, but I take your point! Nothing I try works. I have an East facing bedroom, I never pull the curtains. The natural light is useless. I have a powerful lamp next to my bed which fires up at 7am, no dice. My alarm clocks ring out proudly from 7am onwards, nothing. I just can't make it happen! I only started running because I had insomnia and was up at 4am every morning without fail, now I can't do anything but sleep in.

Great targets. I'm another who can't get up in the mornings.. Try for an early run about 5am most days and fail miserably. Between 5-6 is free time before the tribe awake but can I do it.. I think I've managed it about twice in three or four weeks.. Thinking of just getting an exercise bike or elliptical trainer so I can jump on early without having to brave the outside.

5am is an outrageous target! A friend of mine posts on Instagram and Strava a good 5-10 mile run every morning long before I've woken up, it's like a slap in the face each day!

Having an elliptical or a bike at home is a good idea, I've thought about getting one myself, and for my dad. The porky sod needs to shed a stone or 5!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Aims for 2016

A sub 18:30 5k
A sub 40:00 10k
A sub 1:28:00 half
A sub 3:15:00 marathon

But most of all to keep injury free as I've done through 2015 which has allowed me to clock up 778 miles with one final run in a couple of hours time.

A sub 18:30 5k - No 18:40 achieved in March
A sub 40:00 10k - No 40:08 achieved at the Worthing 10k in June (bloody hot day)
A sub 1:28:00 half - Yes 1:27:22 at the Brighton Half Feb
A sub 3:15:00 marathon - No 3:15:59 at the Brighton Marathon

1 out of 4 aims completed but pretty close to all four. 5k was always a tough ask and pretty pleased to get 18:40, due to injury I'm about 50 seconds off this pace now.

The 10k sub 40 is the one that keeps eluding me and is probably the easiest of the four targets but a mixture of injuries and conditions mean it's an itch I still can't scratch.

The half marathon time I was delighted with and again 6:40 pace over 13.1 miles seems near impossible at the moment.

Can't be too disheartened by the marathon time another sizeable pb and I reckon if it wasn't for illness a few weeks before the run I would have got even closer or broken sub 3:15.

Certainly since May my running has gone down hill with continuing hamstring problems which have cost me miles and a fair bit of cash with physio visits etc... It does feel like it slowly getting better but my hope of beating last years 778 miles is unlikely to happen now.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A sub 40:00 10k - No 40:08 achieved at the Worthing 10k in June (bloody hot day)

1 out of 4 aims completed but pretty close to all four. 5k was always a tough ask and pretty pleased to get 18:40, due to injury I'm about 50 seconds off this pace now.

The 10k sub 40 is the one that keeps eluding me and is probably the easiest of the four targets but a mixture of injuries and conditions mean it's an itch I still can't scratch.

The half marathon time I was delighted with and again 6:40 pace over 13.1 miles seems near impossible at the moment.

Can't be too disheartened by the marathon time another sizeable pb and I reckon if it wasn't for illness a few weeks before the run I would have got even closer or broken sub 3:15.

Certainly since May my running has gone down hill with continuing hamstring problems which have cost me miles and a fair bit of cash with physio visits etc... It does feel like it slowly getting better but my hope of beating last years 778 miles is unlikely to happen now.

That's a bloody good marathon time in a year of injury.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Well impressed with your times..if they are your times during a year of injuries then hopefully next year youll smash em.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well impressed with your times..if they are your times during a year of injuries then hopefully next year youll smash em.

All those times happened pre-injury, except for the 10k time. Aim now is to get back to my March/April best.

Seems like injuries have impacted a lot of Nsc runners this year, so hopefully 2017 brings better luck here.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Bloody good effort mate. I'm off to fiind out if I did this and what I said...

EDIT: No, I didn't.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Excellent times there...especially that half marathon. Hope 2017 is even better for you.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Anyone here signed up to POW! Virtual Running? You pick a medal, pay a small fee, do the run at your own convenience within a specified timeframe, submit evidence and they send you the medal in the post :)

My friend linked me to the 1000km or 1000miles in 2017 and I'm sorely tempted to go in for the 1000km.

Also I want to break the PBs I set last time I was training for a marathon as I've put on a bit of weight and am nowhere near them anymore.

5k: 24 minutes
10k: 50 minutes
10 miles: 90 minutes
HM: 120 minutes

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looks like we've had a good range of targets for 2017. Looking across the responses there's a fair dose of realism mixed with an even bigger splosh of ambition. This time next year we should have quite a number of PBs to reflect on and gloat over. It would be good to self-monitor performances and report back, maybe?

Related question: what's your strategy over Xmas and the New Year? I've always tried to step up training at these times if only to burn off some seasonal excesses but others might well want to have a break and indulge...........................(I think it was Daly Thompson who always used to train on Xmas Day whilst thinking of his rivals stuffing their faces and putting their feet up.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone here signed up to POW! Virtual Running? You pick a medal, pay a small fee, do the run at your own convenience within a specified timeframe, submit evidence and they send you the medal in the post :)

My friend linked me to the 1000km or 1000miles in 2017 and I'm sorely tempted to go in for the 1000km.

Also I want to break the PBs I set last time I was training for a marathon as I've put on a bit of weight and am nowhere near them anymore.

5k: 24 minutes
10k: 50 minutes
10 miles: 90 minutes
HM: 120 minutes

Cheers! You've made me realise that although I didn't run a 1000 miles this year, I passed the 1,000km. 1,000 miles next year.
@GNT for me food and over indulgence is never a problem. 3 months off running and eating hourly every day and still no weight gain.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure what's going on with my knees. My previously decent enough right knee is now also giving me problems - I wonder if I've been subconsciously compensating for my dodgy left in general day to day walking etc.

However, I couldn't resist the perfect running day today - bright blue sky, dazzling sun and cold crisp air and ran my first 5-miler since August 2nd when my problems began. I've done a few jog/walk things at various times, but today was more of a regular run. I even managed to push a bit harder on the 5th mile despite it being all uphill and into the wind.

My knees were largely fine on the run itself and although they're not hurting me now, I can feel that they're not right - slight aches and general 'heaviness'. I wonder if dodgy knees is just going to be what I have now. Anyway, it was great to be out - I do love running.

2017 - try to get myself into a position when I can just run properly once again. Beyond that I don't really care about times and stuff.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm not sure what's going on with my knees. My previously decent enough right knee is now also giving me problems - I wonder if I've been subconsciously compensating for my dodgy left in general day to day walking etc.

However, I couldn't resist the perfect running day today - bright blue sky, dazzling sun and cold crisp air and ran my first 5-miler since August 2nd when my problems began. I've done a few jog/walk things at various times, but today was more of a regular run. I even managed to push a bit harder on the 5th mile despite it being all uphill and into the wind.

My knees were largely fine on the run itself and although they're not hurting me now, I can feel that they're not right - slight aches and general 'heaviness'. I wonder if dodgy knees is just going to be what I have now. Anyway, it was great to be out - I do love running.

2017 - try to get myself into a position when I can just run properly once again. Beyond that I don't really care about times and stuff.

I used to find, when I was injured, that I simply couldn't look at anyone running and it was on days like these that it really felt rotten. Your cardio vascular system must be pretty good but you could well be right about the good knee compensating for the dodgy one and then becoming dodgy itself. You are getting or seeking advice/treatment? Gait analysis? Trainers advice? Hang in in there!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I used to find, when I was injured, that I simply couldn't look at anyone running and it was on days like these that it really felt rotten. Your cardio vascular system must be pretty good but you could well be right about the good knee compensating for the dodgy one and then becoming dodgy itself. You are getting or seeking advice/treatment? Gait analysis? Trainers advice? Hang in in there!

Oh, absolutely - I've not opened Strava for months and I got quite bitter seeing people out running along the seafront when down there with the kids.

Getting out today really lifted my spirits.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely, 100% nailed on you will have loused up your good knee by compensating in some way.

Potential solutions/things to work on :
-core strength exercises - at least twice a week for 20-30 mins. Glutes, hip flexors, abs etc
-leg strengthening - squats, lunges etc
-gait analysis (again, if you've done it before, because you've probably changed)
-regular sports massage to keep all the key muscles loose and get any knots/tight spots sorted (can't overstate how important this is)
-mix your running session up, and take rest days
-cross-train, don't just run

I know, teaching granny to suck eggs, but we all (me included) drift back into 'just running'........because we like it and the other stuff is just boring. Then we get injured (like what I am now)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here