Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Derby - Away Support

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So we managed over 3000 back then on a Monday night with worse road and rail infrastructure but will struggle to take 2000 on a saturday afternoon. It's not as if we've been overrun with away games either, in the five weeks we've had Shef Wed and Burnley which we probably took less than a thousand to in total.

That was kinda my point.

The key factors then were:
- Derby were reigning League champs and a big draw
- lots of people liked the convenience of the charter trains (less people needed to get aled up, from my memory, but I was only 13(!))
- we had already beaten Ipswich and West Brom, both top tier teams in what was by our standards an epic cup run
- no TV coverage

PG

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
With reference to Roger Harris's and Tim Carder's book Seagulls: The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion, just reminding myself of the League Cup tie against Derby in 76/77.

There was so much interest in the original home game that the Albion sold tickets on the turnstiles of a reserve game v Charlton, the crowd for which was 17,554. The game was a 33,500 sellout and I remember Derby fans arriving just before ko on the chicken run (this was pre-segregation) to find it absolutely rammed (sic) and wandering the aisles trying to glimpse a view. The huge roar told them Peter Ward had scored after 37 seconds, following a 1 on 1 save by Grummitt from Charlie George.

The away support for the Monday night replay (just 2 days after beating Swindon 4-0 at the Goldstone) is not recorded but "3 charter trains, a plane and numerous coaches" are cited. As the trains alone held 700 each, I suspect there was a minimum 3,000 Albion in the 25,880 at the Baseball ground. A good number had travelled to Reading on the Wednesday previous to see us win 3-2 and to Northampton the Saturday before that to see a 2-0 win. Busy and expensive times for fans of a rampaging Mullery team that went on to finish 2nd in Div 3 (2 points above another promoted club, Cr****l P****e). Peter Ward won Div 3 Player of the Season for his 36 goals, 32 in the League.

PG

I remember that replay so well, also went to the 3-2 at reading.after the game Derby fans in fairly local pub told us no club that season had made the noise we did that night

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I could be wrong but i believe that we had 7,500 there that night. Was on first of 4 trains. I also believe it could have been the biggest official away support at the baseball ground. Great evening and the half time racket with their compare was brilliant.

We took 5,000 to Forest 2 years later in what was regarded as the biggest exodus for a very long time, if not ever, to the Midlands.

PG

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I could be wrong but i believe that we had 7,500 there that night. Was on first of 4 trains. I also believe it could have been the biggest official away support at the baseball ground. Great evening and the half time racket with their compare was brilliant.

I reckon it was near to that figure, Derby fans couldn't believe the noise we made. I went in a car and motorway was chocca with fans cars

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
This one is a piece of piss to get to. Top of the league unbeaten we should sell this out. Disappointing if we do not.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not convinced. Apart from local games and cup/play offs I can't remember us taking more than 2000 anywhere, which when you think we're getting 20000+ at home is disappointing. Especially now we're top of the league.

Our away support when we were at Withdean was class, relatively big numbers given the amount of supporters back then, lots of songs and lots of noise even if we're losing.

Now it's just a quiet block made up of drunks, supporters club, northerners, kids and a few people who like driving the M1 more than most. That's not a criticism of those groups, but it's a crying shame when you compare to most teams knocking around the top of the Championship.

You can't compare us to other clubs like for like. There was a survey done at the start of the season that concluded we had the furthest to travel this season of any club in the Championship. Look at how many Midlands and Lancashire / Yorkshire teams there are this season. QPR, Fulham and Brentford have two games each this season where their fans barely have to leave the house. We travel better than Reading or MK who are way more central than us. Charlton had 1200 odd on Saturday. And our last two aways have been up north on a Tuesday evening and a Sunday lunchtime.

Ridiculous comments all in all.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Most teams? 4000? I think the max. number for away fans in a League match is 10% - that would be 3,300 at Derby. Apart from Forest and Leeds, maybe Sheffield Wednesday, do you honestly think any other club in this division, just before Christmas, would take that many supporters to an away game?

You also got to consider that most teams have lot less travelling to do.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It might be a top of the table clash again,but we're not even halfway through the season yet.
Shite time of the month and a long way :)

Reckon 1700 max

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It might be a top of the table clash again,but we're not even halfway through the season yet.
Shite time of the month and a long way :)

Reckon 1700 max

It's not a long way, though, is it? Not on a Saturday, anyway. I admit it's about the limit for a midweek game for me (done Forest, Derby, Chesterfield all in that vicinity for midweek).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here