Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Fly Tipping

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they can trace the rubbish to you then you will be fined.

I might go and place an envelope with [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] written on the front :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a fairly big issue on some of the queit lanes in mid Sussex.....may be wrong but I tend to think it's a relatively small number of people repeatedly doing it, because the same locations get used over and over. I actually saw one bloke chucking rubbish out the back of his van at one of the 'usual' spots for this when I was out running - told him what I thought and got a predictable '**** off' in reply and that it was 'nothing to do with me'. Didn't have a phone with me but at least memorised his reg number and filled in a report form when I got home. The rubbish had been cleared within a couple of days.

I've noticed at our local tip that there seem to be more and more things that are now 'chargeable', and there's always been charges for commercial waste - I hear from pals that this is more and more enforced now (for example used to be large vans/trucks, but now they can decide almost anything is 'commercial') which only increases the likelihood that someone will take a chance on a quiet road.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Came across a similar amount of fly-tipped crap, including hardcore, in Litlington earlier this year.

If a motorcyclist had come round that particular bend at any kind of speed they would have potentially come to a very unpleasant end. The stuff was almost blocking the road.

It's not just antisocial and costly, fly tipping poses a hazard to people (and wildlife) too.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If they can trace the rubbish to you then you will be fined.

Not enough though.....a man was caught and fined £400 for dumping waste on slip road to Housedean farm Falmer. He probably saved £100 as against taking to tip.

It probably cost £500 to clear up..£500 to investigate. The fine needs to be at least all costs + Fine. In this case say £1400.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not enough though.....a man was caught and fined £400 for dumping waste on slip road to Housedean farm Falmer. He probably saved £100 as against taking to tip.

It probably cost £500 to clear up..£500 to investigate. The fine needs to be at least all costs + Fine. In this case say £1400.

Not only that....probably an habitual flytipper, but only get's caught once in a blue moon, so he's up on the deal overall. I like the solution mentioned above - as well as the (much bigger) fine, vehicle gets crushed.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Why do people hang bags of dog shit in trees?
Another totally senseless thing, every day I see something that makes me wonder what the hell is going on in their heads to do that.
No conscience, no respect, totally selfish.

Often to pick up on the way home, saves carrying it around for the whole walk.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Disagree. There’s a lot of evidence to show our nation of slobs wouldn’t dispose of rubbish correctly even if it was free. I’m afraid millions of people simply drop waste wherever, even next to or a few yards from bins. It’s just too much hassle. You’ve got to understand their mentality. They’re wired to go through life leaving a mess behind, be that litter, anti social behaviour, dysfunctional families, a life of crime etc. It’s only the rest of us who are stopping them from drowning in their own filth. Fly tipping included. No point fining them, they don’t pay them. Nor jailing because that’s even more cost to us. Just ring the council and ask them to clear up. Pity them and simply be grateful you were born better than they. Because it’s a problem that will never go away nor is there anything you can really do about. That lane looks no different from many front gardens up and down the country and we all have a weirdo house nearby with ten foot high grass, a rusty children’s slide and a moss covered B Reg Sierra parked on their front lawn, under a rotting tarpauling. You know, the one with closed curtains no ones seen drawn back since the nineties. Typically a bungalow, with some old dear living with her 50+ year old son who no one knows but you’d be deeply suspicious of if any local kids ever went missing :)

I was going to ask if you lived in leyton as well until the bungalow detail.

Rife around E10 too. Total scum.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
On a similar theme. Ink jet printing is fairly common place and used in most drive throughs, so why don't they just print your car reg on the outer packaging, won't stop some littering but may be enough to make people think?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Fly tipping is very much a habit of the gypos. Cash on hand, no paper trail, it's bread and butter for them.

Yes, but not exclusively. Our local tips have just introduced a scale of charges for various 'commercial' waste. All that's happened is that the local country lanes have become a dumping ground for waste from plumbing, building, plastering and general building jobs. I bet it costs them more to clear that than it would do to dispose of it via the tip.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Why do people hang bags of dog shit in trees?
Another totally senseless thing, every day I see something that makes me wonder what the hell is going on in their heads to do that.
No conscience, no respect, totally selfish.

Ah, but they have at least bagged up the doggy doo - and therefore, in their eyes, they have cleaned up the street and their conscience is clear...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's awful but rules about vans using tips are too strong.
Not an excuse for doing that though, it's just as bad in the west country.

Last week round our local garden cardboard metal bricks waste recycling centre, I saw a bloke trying to unload a pile of neatly folded cardboard boxes. The boys were giving him the third degree, making him fill out a form to declare this isn't trade waste and that he'd be followed up and prosecuted if it is. Bloke happy to sign etc. Absurd.

OK so, you lads in 'trade', what are the costs of getting rid of a pile of shite like that in the photo, legally? A skip costs around £350, doesn't it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last week round our local garden cardboard metal bricks waste recycling centre, I saw a bloke trying to unload a pile of neatly folded cardboard boxes. The boys were giving him the third degree, making him fill out a form to declare this isn't trade waste and that he'd be followed up and prosecuted if it is. Bloke happy to sign etc. Absurd.

OK so, you lads in 'trade', what are the costs of getting rid of a pile of shite like that in the photo, legally? A skip costs around £350, doesn't it?

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/land-...-and-recycling/business-and-commercial-waste/

0e631b6a7a954cc3b16873321998d362.png

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I know nothing about trade waste.
But I have a caddy van, my business creates no waste.
But I have a pass to use the tip which is free.
I can have 5 tips a year for anything I have to dump, garden waste is as many tips as I want but I am only allowed 2 rubble tips per year.
That all seems reasonable to me but as far as I am aware NO trade waste is allowed and charges are made for this.
I don't see the problem, waste is waste but I think it would reduce fly tipping.
But there are always scumbags that will do it anyway.
Councils are after every penny so they charge, but it must cost a lot to clear up fly tipping as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here