Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your Team v Man Utd

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Valid argument. I don't think CH will do this. I also think (Bernardo said so) Brighton are looking for at least a point from the games against Man U. and Liverpool combined.

But: “Andone trains on Monday,” Hughton said. “Izquierdo probably is going to be a little bit longer. All the other new players are involved. We will have to make sure we prepare well for a big week.” http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/164...-are-looking-over-their-shoulders/?ref=twtrec

Well it sounds like Izquierdo isn't going to be 100% by the end of next week then, and so will probably not start, in which case AJ might have a chance, although you could easily see Hughton sticking with March. AK has to play after last season's outing against Man United at home.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Did he ? he came on at Watford 6 days after signing for us, was in every single squad for the rest of the season (until Liverpool) playing in nearly all of them, and even at the start, he started 6 out of our first 14 matches - ie: the first 3 months.

Yes all our wingers were rotated and given good game time last year. The way we play, indeed need to play, puts significant onus on their ability to get up and down the pitch and crosses in for Murray.

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
There's nothing right now to suggest that Hughton rates AJ higher than Izquierdo, who performed extremely well last season for us. If Izquierdo is fit next week he's pretty much nailed on the start ahead of AJ, most likely with AK as the other winger. Izquierdo was a record signing for us last season too, didn't cost much less than AJ, and now that he has somewhat proved himself in the Premier League his value will be even higher. Izquierdo knows our system well and him and AK tore Man United apart at the end of last season. AJ has yet to prove anything.

The Premier League is extremely tough - it might take AJ a while to adjust and there's no guarantee he'll even make it. Knowing his qualities I think he will, but it's going to be hard work for him to acquire a regular starting position.

Sure it's speculation on my part to say Hughton rates AJ higher than Izquierdo, but I say this because before Izquierdo transferred to Brighton he had a decent performance the season prior in Belgium's top flight scoring scoring 14 and but having 0 assists. Now compare that to AJ's stats in Holland before joining the club of 21 goals and 12 assists he blows Izquirdo out of the water. AJ's stats even blow Memphis Depay's stats out of the water from the season Depay had in Holland before joining Manchester United. So I do think Hughton rates AJ higher, and trust me he will prove his worth this season.

And I've watched every single Jahanbaksh game for the past 6 years for both club and country. From the flashes I saw from him in the game against Watford I can tell you this boy is ready to have an impact Sunday not September or October. We will see if my speculations are correct that AJ will start on Sunday. And no way Izquierdo will start Sunday..did he even train last week? Seems like he just started his training which puts AJ ahead of him in terms of fitness and sharpness since AJ has been training with the squad for nearly 3 weeks now, and participated in Albion's last two friendly matches before the Watford game.

We beat Man United at the end of last season at home, beat Arsenal and drew against Spurs. The teams were very similar to that at Watford.

I'm aware of Albion having these great performances near the end of last season. I'm not asking for the entire 11 to be changed I'm asking for the 2/3 of poorest performers from the game against Watford to be replaced by the promising new guys.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Sure it's speculation on my part to say Hughton rates AJ higher than Izquierdo, but I say this because before Izquierdo transferred to Brighton he had a decent performance the season prior in Belgium's top flight scoring scoring 14 and but having 0 assists. Now compare that to AJ's stats in Holland before joining the club of 21 goals and 12 assists he blows Izquirdo out of the water. AJ's stats even blow Memphis Depay's stats out of the water from the season Depay had in Holland before joining Manchester United. So I do think Hughton rates AJ higher, and trust me he will prove his worth this season.

And I've watched every single Jahanbaksh game for the past 6 years for both club and country. From the flashes I saw from him in the game against Watford I can tell you this boy is ready to have an impact Sunday not September or October. We will see if my speculations are correct that AJ will start on Sunday. And no way Izquierdo will start Sunday..did he even train last week? Seems like he just started his training which puts AJ ahead of him in terms of fitness and sharpness since AJ has been training with the squad for nearly 3 weeks now, and participated in Albion's last two friendly matches before the Watford game.

I'm aware of Albion having these great performances near the end of last season. I'm not asking for the entire 11 to be changed I'm asking for the 2/3 of poorest performers from the game against Watford to be replaced by the promising new guys.

I understand your enthusiasm for AJ, but he's done absolutely nothing yet in the arguably the hardest league in the world in which a lot of players can't cut it, despite looking good elsewhere. Izquierdo has. Once you watch Izquierdo in our team you'll realise why we rate him so highly here. If AJ turns out to be better than Izquierdo then he'll be worth at least double what we paid for him. Izquierdo has set very high standards. I said if Izquierdo's fit, because when he is, he's ahead of AJ right now. He could start on Sunday, but do not be surprised if AJ is eased in slowly or takes time to adjust. That's often how it works and how it's done, especially under Hughton, who doesn't like to take risks. I would have AJ ahead of March against United if Izquierdo isn't up to speed, but I don't think there would be many here surprised if March and AK started again. Hughton's not going to chuck new players in against the top teams at home to see how they do just because it's more likely we'll lose than draw or win - our home games are extremely important for us, no matter who they are against. We always feel we can get something at home, even if it doesn't always happen.

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
I understand your enthusiasm for AJ, but he's done absolutely nothing yet in the arguably the hardest league in the world in which a lot of players can't cut it, despite looking good elsewhere. Izquierdo has. Once you watch Izquierdo in our team you'll realise why we rate him so highly here. If AJ turns out to be better than Izquierdo then he'll be worth at least double what we paid for him. Izquierdo has set very high standards. I said if Izquierdo's fit, because when he is, he's ahead of AJ right now. He could start on Sunday, but do not be surprised if AJ is eased in slowly or takes time to adjust. That's often how it works and how it's done, especially under Hughton, who doesn't like to take risks. I would have AJ ahead of March against United if Izquierdo isn't up to speed, but I don't think there would be many here surprised if March and AK started again. Hughton's not going to chuck new players in against the top teams at home to see how they do just because it's more likely we'll lose than draw or win - our home games are extremely important for us, no matter who they are against. We always feel we can get something at home, even if it doesn't always happen.

Sure if Izquierdo started training last week and is fully fit (which I don't think he will be for 90 minutes based on reports) than I'd expect him to start over AJ as well. And if Knockaert doesn't perform well in the first half I'd expect to see Jahanbakhsh come on early in the 2nd half. Just knowing Jahanbakhsh I know he's the kind of player that is up for the challenge right now and although he didn't really do anything against Watford since the ball wasn't being played through the right side much at all while he was on I could tell just from a few of his touches that he's sharp and ready. He's going to need more than 20 minutes to show you what I'm talking about. If Izquierdo isn't fit than AJ should start not just for his sake or for the sake of his fans but for the sake of Brighton as well. He will certainly add 10 times to the team than March if he starts and if he does than I think he'll put up a brilliant performance and force his way into the starting 11.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
We know CH is not the kind of guy to get carried away whatever the result and that also reflects in his team selections, so despite the clamour to blood some or all of the new players, CH doesn't entertain knee jerk reactions and deep down we know that is not going to happen.

What I would say though is that he has a dilemma with Bissouma, the guy oozes class and deserves (from what I've seen) to start the next match however the question is, who does he replace?

He could replace Gross as he did at Watford, however we know Gross does all of his best work at home so he maybe deserves a chance to show that.
What about Propper? From what I saw against Watford he didn't do much at all, defensively or going forward, again though he does seem to play better at home.

So CH has got a selection headache to deal with. Knowing how he operates, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bissouma on the bench.

As for AJ, again he added a spark to our attack but we know how well Knockeart can play, and remember how he played against Utd last season. The question for me is not about dropping him, but dropping March. He has been struggling for a while and let's face it if Izquierdo was fit, March wouldn't be playing. It's whether Knockeart can take his talent to the left hand side or whether AJ can operate from the left effectively and track back as well as March can.

So I think this is the side that CH puts out:

Ryan

Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

AJ
Stephens
Propper
Knockeart

Gross
Murray

If we get beat 3 or 4 nil then I should imagine then changes will be made for the away match. I really hope (and have said this over the last few weeks) that we should play 4-3-3 away from home. Now that we've got another decent Midfielder we should bolster that area.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
------------------ Ryan -------------------
Montoya -- Duffy -- Dunk ---- Bong
------ Stephens --- Bissouma ------
Knockaert -- Gross -- Jahanbaksh
---------------- Murray -----------------

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Changes I would make would be:

Montoya for Bruno
Bissouma for Propper
AJ for March

Suspect Hughton will play Montoya and either AJ or Bissouma. Would like to see Locadia get some minutes upfront as well - not sure if as a starter or sub though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm confident that hughton will do the right thing and drop march. Alireza and knock will swap wings during the game.

Montoya has to come in for Bruno

The only other change that I would make is bong for Bernardo , but I don't think hughton will do that.

Keep biss. On the bench and use as a super sub for now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The undroppable Stephens - Propper partnership needs a wake up call, and Bissouma and Kayal should come in to replace them.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Just cant see there being a change in formation so soon - especially against Man Utd. I think people understandably want to put Bissouma and AJ in but I think its unlikely we will see any change in the formation that the rest of the team has been working with for so long just yet.. especially as some our best performances came against United last year. That flexibility will come I'm sure, but not yet.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Don't know why (because it's completely out of character) but i think CH might shake it up on Sunday - but not this much...

Ryan
Montoya, Balogun, Dunk, Bernado
Gross, Stephens, Propper, Ali
Bissouma, Murray

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't think you can give wake up calls game 2 . Sends out the wrong signals.

Stick faith with the same team but bring in Montoya for Bruno and start Jahankabash over March.

No need wholesale changes. We are a different side at home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My team would be:

Ryan
Montoya/Schelotto......Duffy.....Dunk....Bernardo
Stephens....Bissoluma.....Propper
.Gross.....Knockaert
Murray​

With Knockaert floating to either wing and a solid midfield 3

Then look for substitutions on 60 mins if not working and winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here