Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Programmes have become bloated and outdated - it's time to change or go"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m not interested in players’ favourite foods, music, or holiday destinations.

It’s this sort of stuff which does interest me. I don’t need to read out-dated team info, read the same managers notes every fortnight or be lectured to by Barber. For example I want to read about Jose’s pet pig, his music interests, his sunglasses collection. Where does Pascal holiday? What does Murray have for breakfast? Any interesting hobbie?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It’s this sort of stuff which does interest me. I don’t need to read out-dated team info, read the same managers notes every fortnight or be lectured to by Barber. For example I want to read about Jose’s pet pig, his music interests, his sunglasses collection. Where does Pascal holiday? What does Murray have for breakfast? Any interesting hobbie?

I agree. I don't buy programmes any more as I'd rather spend the money on beer, but it's those 'value added' articles that could make me buy one. In this digital era where so much stuff is available up-to-date and on-line the programmes have got to have their own USP to make people buy them. People can read all that fun stuff first in the printed programme before it gets digitally regurgitated.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I don't get how fanzines don't exist still in abundance. I know it takes a bit of time and money but there doesn't ever seem to be a shortage of people willing to do this kind of thing.
I've ALWAYS bought a fanzine over a programme and have even less need for biographies of the opposition and the like now we're in the Prem.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I arrive early to games and really enjoy the programme.

The retro part particularly, so personally think it’s (they) are fine. No change required IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, obviously :lolol:

The Albion programme team work really hard to make sure there is as much unique content as possible. They have also tried to cater for every market with, for example, the cut-out posters. The ides of using the spine to build up a picture over the season is also a great idea (or a cynical marketing ploy to force you to buy them all).

The award of 'programme of the season' from the recognised definitive collector magazine is proof of this. I hope we continue producing a paper programme for years to come.

programme spine.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Frankly this would make it a lot more interesting. There's only so much guff one can write about one of the teams, and anyone with even half an eye on the club will know all of it anyway, whereas there's generally plenty I don't know about the opposition teams that I might enjoy finding out about.

What?! Actually know something about the opposition? WTF? I know all I need to know about those twxts thank you. They are basically northern, or if not then sheepshaggers, usually have an excess of fingers, and are lazy workshy fops. They live in slums, voted for Brexit, have no manners, or any sense of fashion apart from Donkey jackets and flares, knock the missus about a bit after a few post match beers and have never even heard of deodorant. Aside from the players don't even get me started on the fans FFS! Info about the enemy? Pfffffff......be wanting all seater grounds and women's toilets next, bloody modern snowflake fans!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This, obviously :lolol:

The Albion programme team work really hard to make sure there is as much unique content as possible. They have also tried to cater for every market with, for example, the cut-out posters. The ides of using the spine to build up a picture over the season is also a great idea (or a cynical marketing ploy to force you to buy them all).

The award of 'programme of the season' from the recognised definitive collector magazine is proof of this. I hope we continue producing a paper programme for years to come.

View attachment 99306

That spine thing must have played havoc with your OCD [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION]

Put ALL the season's programs in chronological order and the image is destroyed. Respect the image and you have to put the cup games separate, or bin them altogether. You can't even rationalize it that only the FA Cup ones deserve inclusion, as they've included the Palace game in the montage, but NOT the Coventry one...

There is NO acceptable solution to it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
There are lots of people saying "I don't want to pay £3.50" or "I want to look online". You already have these options. For 'teamsheets' there is the club app, for those on a tight budget, there is no compulsion to buy. For those assuming that the future is digital.. just look at kindle vs paperback. Despite promises to the contrary, people DO like to have a physical object to read and then keep.

To those saying smaller & cheaper... what gets cut? (Because it won't be the adverts).

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Could they not give out FREE a single sheet with the latest news on one side for those that want a read at halftime etc and both teams 25 man squad on the other plus of course ref and assistants. They could be given out or left to collect by the turnstiles or do we make a huge profit that we would lose by doing away with them.

But these DO exist at the majority of clubs. It is the 'Teamsheet' that is given out soon after an hour before kick off to directors, executive boxes, press, media, etc.
The big advantage of these is that it has the actual teams plus subs,etc, in a list representing the approximate formation - as opposed to having to tick the the appropriate names on the back of the programme from a list of 40..
The last two times that we played at Rotherham, they were actually selling these teamsheets for 20p, outside the main entrance just before kick off.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Are they still called programmes? I thought they were referred to these days as official matchday magazines?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There are lots of people saying "I don't want to pay £3.50" or "I want to look online". You already have these options.

That's right - and I choose not to give the club £3.50. I'm merely suggesting alternative ways the club might obtain additional money from me on a matchday. Pretty chilled if they don't, tbh.

To those saying smaller & cheaper... what gets cut? (Because it won't be the adverts).

Well, Barber's bit, for starters.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
CH's bit and PB's bits are pretty much all I read. The two most influential people outside the playing squad. I want to hear from both. #BarberIn

I think even his most ardent fan would agree that this work can be edited back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
CH's bit and PB's bits are pretty much all I read. The two most influential people outside the playing squad. I want to hear from both. #BarberIn

What do you get from these though? Whilst I enjoy listening to Hughton talk, or be interviewed, his managers notes are very dated and formulaic . He will thank the supporters, comment on the away support, and summarise each game since the last programme in a single and very obvious, sentence. Oh, and occasionally he will mention the notes were written before the last game took place. And the main thrust of Barbers stuff is always available on the website days before if it’s not on here.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
When I visited BMO Field recently, for the Toronto FC v New York Red Bulls game, my enquiry about a matchday programme was met with bemusement and incredulity. They simply don't produce such a thing, I was told, because all that kinda stuff was always available online.

I kinda agree. The current Albion effort is grossly inflated, with less than 5% of the content of genuine interest.

In the digital era, an accurate teamsheet plus player notes is all that's needed, and I've come to the view that printed programmes are about as relevant and necessary nowadays as supporters' clubs. (Whatever happened to them?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here