Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow expansion

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The M25 in that area, in fact all roads in that area, are going to be absolute carnage, even more so than now, 24/7 for years. Once work starts minimum times going north will be at least 30 minutes longer if not 1hr. Travelling in peak times will drive even the calmest to suicide!

Absolutely spot on chap.
It's murder now on the LHR side of the M25 nowadays, together with the new runway and the fecking HS2, I'm living the dream!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely spot on chap.
It's murder now on the LHR side of the M25 nowadays, together with the new runway and the fecking HS2, I'm living the dream!!
Yep, we’ll have to set off Thursday now instead of Friday for Saturday noon KOs! As for evening games, forget ‘em. Already total carnage as is and that’s before get to the Amex hinterland.

Thames estuary every time. No matter whatever the £ cost, sometimes it’s got to be more than an accountants decision or we’d never had built sewers etc.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yep, we’ll have to set off Thursday now instead of Friday for Saturday noon KOs! As for evening games, forget ‘em. Already total carnage as is and that’s before get to the Amex hinterland.

Thames estuary every time. No matter whatever the £ cost, sometimes it’s got to be more than an accountants decision or we’d never had built sewers etc.

LHR aside, with the proposed HS2, they've already started building work sites locally, in readiness for the proposed carnage.
All those bloody lorries. :eek:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
LHR aside, with the proposed HS2, they've already started building work sites locally, in readiness for the proposed carnage.
All those bloody lorries. :eek:
Yes yes yes but we’ll all get to Brum 20mins quicker by the end of it, especially if they introduce a new timetable :whistle: At £600bn it’s a deal, a steal, the sale of the f uckimg century! Nik-o-laas... :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yes yes yes but we’ll all get to Brum 20mins quicker by the end of it, especially if they introduce a new timetable :whistle: At £600bn it’s a deal, a steal, the sale of the f uckimg century! Nik-o-laas... :)

Hopefully we'll be away from Dodge City, before it all kicks off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So the Cabinet have approved the third runway!!!! Having now studied the google sat views of both the proposed runways at LHR and LGW surely the Gatwick option was better, less loss of homes and less additional infrastructure, I mean they are talking about a M25 Tunnel ffs

The M23 and south of London sections of the M25, already rammed and slow, would've become hellish with a doubled Gatwick Airport. It didn't make sense to expand an airport in Sussex, where most of its UK passengers were going to have to travel far and wide from across all of southern and eastern England to get to this part of the world. In overall terms, far more road miles generated.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Expanding Stansted or building a Thames estuary airport are clearly the two long term options that would work. In the shorter term a 2nd runway at Gatwick would take the pressure off Heathrow. Expanding Heathrow is totally crazy. Anyone who drives on the western section of the M25 between M3 and M40 will know it’s beyond capacity now. Sticking the M25 in a tunnel will cause total chaos for years. I drive there several times a week but will be looking for a new job as soon as the work starts. No way I’ll be doing that journey with that being built for 5+ years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hopefully we'll be away from Dodge City, before it all kicks off.

Don’t blame you, think we’ll head further west or overseas one day. Already flirting with Eire. The Home Counties are increasingly gridlocked, more countryside nibbled away with each day and the air quality is dire. That’s the thing I don’t get, people are seemingly happy to breath in dangerous toxins we already know are killing tens of thousands each year but forsake in favour of the ‘economic argument’. Our species really does deserve its fate of drowning in a filthy, boiling sea of plastic waste caused by CO2 emissions. Money may trump the einvironment in the ST but only a fool would bet against Mother Nature winning in the end. Still, as long as everyone’s got a Chelsea tractor to drive little Flymo and Aubergine to the hospital for their chronic asthma or IPF appointment that’s the main thing...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Expanding Stansted or building a Thames estuary airport are clearly the two long term options that would work. In the shorter term a 2nd runway at Gatwick would take the pressure off Heathrow. Expanding Heathrow is totally crazy. Anyone who drives on the western section of the M25 between M3 and M40 will know it’s beyond capacity now. Sticking the M25 in a tunnel will cause total chaos for years. I drive there several times a week but will be looking for a new job as soon as the work starts. No way I’ll be doing that journey with that being built for 5+ years.

Gatwick, which would also take years to build, would overload road and rail infrastructure creaking at the seams, with the traffic/rail movements of 22,000 new airport workers and 120,000 additional passengers per day.

I agree the airport or new runway should've been built somewhere north or west of London, or north of the Thames.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don’t blame you, think we’ll head further west or overseas one day. Already flirting with Eire. The Home Counties are increasingly gridlocked, more countryside nibbled away with each day and the air quality is dire. That’s the thing I don’t get, people are seemingly happy to breath in dangerous toxins we already know are killing tens of thousands each year but forsake in favour of the ‘economic argument’. Our species really does deserve its fate of drowning in a filthy, boiling sea of plastic waste caused by CO2 emissions. Money may trump the einvironment in the ST but only a fool would bet against Mother Nature winning in the end. Still, as long as everyone’s got a Chelsea tractor to drive little Flymo and Aubergine to the hospital for their chronic asthma or IPF appointment that’s the main thing...

I'm sure we heard them being called out of the maze, last week :wink:

D

Deleted member 18477

Is the m25 by Heathrow going to become 15 lanes to accommodate?

On the plus side m23 users have some smart motorway (or another lane) roadworks to look forward to until 2020 when it gets going!

Anyone else just f-ing love the traffic, roadworks and loads of new houses being built in the south? :rave:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The M23 and south of London sections of the M25, already rammed and slow, would've become hellish with a doubled Gatwick Airport. It didn't make sense to expand an airport in Sussex, where most of its UK passengers were going to have to travel far and wide from across all of southern and eastern England to get to this part of the world. In overall terms, far more road miles generated.

the target passenger base isnt tourists from across the UK, its business traffic for London and hub for onward connections. there's plenty of overall capacity, just not enough for this market going in to London. so northern airports are immediatly out of the running and Standsted isnt very viable. Gatwick would need improved rail link but at 30min from central London should have been given more consideration. or put another way, let them both expand, let them compete and the market decide.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs T and I spent half an hour looking on google maps to see if Boris Island is viable. We live right in the middle of the egress. It is a non starter because the M2 and the entire Fav to Lodond rail link would need to be rebuilt.

We are basically doomed.

For road infrastructure, keep the same zoom on google and scroll over to Germany. Or Holland. Or Belgium.....

Frankly our heritage may attract tourists, but it also prevents them arriving and getting around...the law of equilibrium and regression to the mean, I guess....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
the target passenger base isnt tourists from across the UK, its business traffic for London and hub for onward connections. there's plenty of overall capacity, just not enough for this market going in to London. so northern airports are immediatly out of the running and Standsted isnt very viable. Gatwick would need improved rail link but at 30min from central London should have been given more consideration. or put another way, let them both expand, let them compete and the market decide.

I'm amazed (even in London) about the ignorance of how easy Gatwick is to get to. I wouldn't go anyway near Heathrow unless I had to.

It's also incredible the amount of people who still get on the Gatwick Express. I knew someone who for years would routinely go from Chiswick, f### about on the underground to get to Victoria then get on the "fast" train.

It took me to point out that a fast train from Richmond to Clapham Junction then down was quicker.

Doesn't that stop at all the stops ? Nah - just East Croydon.

Living where I do (and that applies to a lot of Londoners) - it's quicker to Gatwick. Clapham Junction is a dump but it gives you loads of options to other parts of London with er.. lifts to every platform.

Or take your suitcase onto the underground.

Nut jobs.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The improved / second rail link from Brighton/Gatwick will never happen. It would entail £10b’s compulsory house purchases. Britain is stuck with early Victorian winding railway routes, hemmed in by housing. It wasn’t a late developer or bombed to bits allowing a nice blank canvas.

The additional 120,000 additional daily passengers would only comprise some business traffic. Even Gatwick boasted that the extra capacity would allow it to take the exponential growth in cheap long distance tourist traffic. That’s 10,000’s of additional car journeys daily on the already crammed M23 and M25 southern sections.

Gatwick lost anyway, so this is yesterday’s chip paper. Heathrow has the support of MP’s from across the major parties.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The improved / second rail link from Brighton/Gatwick will never happen. It would entail £10b’s compulsory house purchases. Britain is stuck with early Victorian winding railway routes, hemmed in by housing. It wasn’t a late developer or bombed to bits allowing a nice blank canvas.

The additional 120,000 additional daily passengers would NOT only comprise some business traffic. Even Gatwick boasted that the extra capacity would allow it to take the exponential growth in cheap long distance tourist traffic. That’s 10,000’s of additional car journeys daily on the already crammed M23 and M25 southern sections.

Gatwick lost anyway, so this is yesterday’s chip paper. Heathrow has the support of MP’s from across the major parties.

Corrected.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
LHR expansion is just going to widen the geographical imbalance that exists in the UK economy, we should be focussing on point to point regional AP's. If ever there was a time to do this, it is now

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
LHR expansion is just going to widen the geographical imbalance that exists in the UK economy, we should be focussing on point to point regional AP's. If ever there was a time to do this, it is now

What you say makes sense, SE England dominating more and more.

But strangely the SNP, trade unions and northern Labour MP’s all back the Heathrow plans. They see the linked growth and jobs, as Heathrow will be a continent leading hub for trade, tourism and business for all points UK.

Parliament has agreed that manufacturing of Heathrow’s new infrastructure will take place at 4 northern hubs. When open, there’s a guarantee of new flight slots to Scotland etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here