Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v India. Third Test. 18-22 Aug. Trent Bridge. (Curran dropped for Stokes).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Cook hasn’t got out to a silly shot this series - he’s had three absolute peaches of deliveries that have got him

Good balls but he will have been disappointed with his lack of foot movement. Been rather static at the crease.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm more of a footy fan myself.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wicket 225/3

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Staring a heavy defeat in the face now. Is dropping Curran and allowing their large partnership the reason?

India deserve credit - they've batted and bowled a lot better in this test than the previous two, and they had to otherwise the series could have been lost with 2 tests still remaining.

We hear a lot in sport about "creating a culture" and "team ethos" but that stuff gets really tested when players get themselves into hot water, like Stokes or the Aussie ball-tampering boys.

One of the hardest things to manage is bringing kids in to the first team of any sport, and it is rare - especially in cricket - for kids to hit the ground running and stay in the side from Day 1. Many of those in the England test side have had two or three bites of the cherry - Keaton Jennings, Buttler, Stokes himself, Woakes, Rashid have all been in and out of the side before, and Curran will get other chances, but what is the cost to his confidence?

Personally, I would have given him and Pope the rest of the series, and dropped Buttler, although there was a case for delaying the reintroduction of Stokes beyond the few days immediately after his trial.. He was found not guilty of the charge and is an world-class cricketer, and I know he missed the Ashes, but you cannot rush these things. Indeed , there was no need to rush it given we were 2 up with 3 to play.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
India deserve credit - they've batted and bowled a lot better in this test than the previous two, and they had to otherwise the series could have been lost with 2 tests still remaining.

We hear a lot in sport about "creating a culture" and "team ethos" but that stuff gets really tested when players get themselves into hot water, like Stokes or the Aussie ball-tampering boys.

One of the hardest things to manage is bringing kids in to the first team of any sport, and it is rare - especially in cricket - for kids to hit the ground running and stay in the side from Day 1. Many of those in the England test side have had two or three bites of the cherry - Keaton Jennings, Buttler, Stokes himself, Woakes, Rashid have all been in and out of the side before, and Curran will get other chances, but what is the cost to his confidence?

Personally, I would have given him and Pope the rest of the series, and dropped Buttler, although there was a case for delaying the reintroduction of Stokes beyond the few days immediately after his trial.. He was found not guilty of the charge and is an world-class cricketer, and I know he missed the Ashes, but you cannot rush these things. Indeed , there was no need to rush it given we were 2 up with 3 to play.

India have been impressive. Not easy as a touring side 2 nil down to collectively change their batting. Its showed courage and skill to play later with much greater patience. Not that England learned anything.

As it happens, thought England bowled well first innings, so agree Curran should have played, but don't think he's omission has impacted the result given the batting was so poor.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
India have been impressive. Not easy as a touring side 2 nil down to collectively change their batting. Its showed courage and skill to play later with much greater patience. Not that England learned anything.

As it happens, thought England bowled well first innings, so agree Curran should have played, but don't think he's omission has impacted the result given the batting was so poor.

He may have got the break through when Rahane and Kohli were destroying our bowlers.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He may have got the break through when Rahane and Kohli were destroying our bowlers.

He may have done, but even getting them out for 100 runs less, they've still got a decent lead after our batting horror show, which was my main point.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He may have done, but even getting them out for 100 runs less, they've still got a decent lead after our batting horror show, which was my main point.

For me, Pope is more likely to play well if Surrey team-mate and fellow 20 year-old Sam Curran is in that dressing room and in that side. They'll each feed off the enrgy from the other and - in turn - that positivity transfers throughout the side.

Take Curran out of it and all of a sudden Pope is a boy surrounded by established players plus Jennings fighting his personal battle with his technique. Is it any wonder Pope failed in the 1st innings? With Pope's failure at No. 4 is it any wonder England failed to post a decent total and collapsed like a house of cards?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For me, Pope is more likely to play well if Surrey team-mate and fellow 20 year-old Sam Curran is in that dressing room and in that side. They'll each feed off the enrgy from the other and - in turn - that positivity transfers throughout the side.

Take Curran out of it and all of a sudden Pope is a boy surrounded by established players plus Jennings fighting his personal battle with his technique. Is it any wonder Pope failed in the 1st innings? With Pope's failure at No. 4 is it any wonder England failed to post a decent total and collapsed like a house of cards?

I think it's a stretch to say you have someone in the side because they make someone else in the side feel better.

I already said I would have played Curran, but we have been comprehensively outplayed. Even with Curran breaking partnerships and Pope feeling happier - I don't see England coming out much better with how they approached their batting generally. All what ifs though obviously.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a stretch to say you have someone in the side because they make someone else in the side feel better.

I already said I would have played Curran, but we have been comprehensively outplayed. Even with Curran breaking partnerships and Pope feeling happier - I don't see England coming out much better with how they approached their batting generally. All what ifs though obviously.

I'm not saying both should be in the side because they're mates, I'm saying they deserve to both be in the side on merit and will feed off each other's successes. It's about creating a team dynamic. Gareth Southgate did this with England - ditched Hart, Cahill, Rooney, Wilshere and brought in youngsters like Pickford, Maguire, Lingard, Alexander-Arnold.

I recall Botham and Gower both broke into the England side at age 21 within months of each other, England's results improved, then Gooch who had been dropped in 1975 was recalled in 78 and thrived in the new look England side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the oldies on here will remember that some years ago we were in a similar position, I think that it was against Australia but I could be mixed up, and Peter May and Colin Cowdrey scored 480 or so to win us the game. I think May got 285 and Cowdrey about 180 So all is not lost yet.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All the oldies on here will remember that some years ago we were in a similar position, I think that it was against Australia but I could be mixed up, and Peter May and Colin Cowdrey scored 480 or so to win us the game. I think May got 285 and Cowdrey about 180 So all is not lost yet.
V West Indies 1957 at Edgbaston 1st test. Made 583 for 4 in second innings and nearly won after following on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here