Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Poppy pins

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I guess that fact we haven't got a home game between 27 Oct and 24 Nov thanks to yet another international ******* break will mean we won't do our usual remembrance service at the Amex this year

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Fiver in the pot, paper poppy. Anything else is virtue signalling, look at me , I remember more than you. The whole point of a paper poppy is that we all remember as equals. Not “look! look! my son is in the fire brigade” or “I bought this fancy enamel one to tell everyone I support BHA”
No. Not for me. Paper poppy. To the point and not showing off. KISS.
But obviously, do as you wish.

The point of the poppy is to signify your own personal thoughts of remembrance.
If one chooses to wear one with something else attached, then that's their choice.
I have several poppy variation badges, pertaining to the RAF, which I do wear only with my company uniform.
Whether it says look at me, I couldnt care less IMO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fiver in the pot, paper poppy. Anything else is virtue signalling, look at me , I remember more than you. The whole point of a paper poppy is that we all remember as equals. Not “look! look! my son is in the fire brigade” or “I bought this fancy enamel one to tell everyone I support BHA”
No. Not for me. Paper poppy. To the point and not showing off. KISS.
But obviously, do as you wish.

If you think that's virtue signalling, that is your problem, not mine.
I've marched past the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, wearing my Dad's medals. I suppose you could say that is 'look at me' too. I'm proud of his 33 years in the Navy, and proud to wear his medals.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I've marched past the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, wearing my Dad's medals. I suppose you could say that is 'look at me' too. I'm proud of his 33 years in the Navy, and proud to wear his medals.

He's not talking about medals just non-paper poppies.

I've long been uncertain about the varieties of poppy that have sprung up over the last decade. To me the paper one is the only one. If other versions raise cash that is great but they do give the opportunity to a minority of people to misinterpret and play the 'I'm better than you card'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's not talking about medals just non-paper poppies.

I've long been uncertain about the varieties of poppy that have sprung up over the last decade. To me the paper one is the only one. If other versions raise cash that is great but they do give the opportunity to a minority of people to misinterpret and play the 'I'm better than you card'.

The Royal British Legion has to find other ways of raising funds. If you look at their online shop, you will find scarves, bags, earrings, necklaces etc all with the poppy emblem.
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-gifts.html

We all want to help veterans, and then criticise the RBL for the way they raise money to help them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ah I see you have added the bit about medals. Nope, no problem at all with people wearing relatives medals. A long tradition of it. I personally don't wear my Father's Naval medals but that's a personal thing as I have never served and don't feel it's my place to wear them. Whereas I gather you have served and it's much more appropriate. Either way, of course that's not virtue signalling, don't be such a ninny.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Royal British Legion has to find other ways of raising funds. If you look at their online shop, you will find scarves, bags, earrings, necklaces etc all with the poppy emblem.
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-gifts.html

We all want to help veterans, and then criticise the RBL for the way they raise money to help them.

I'm not criticising the RBL just those who forget the spirit of it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Either way, it's always best to choose the simplest, modest, most elegant option in most situations. I've seen sparkly ones, oversized ones, club affiliated ones, services affiliated ones, ones on car bumpers, ones in windows and ones fashioned from silk. Nothing says we will remember them more succinctly than the modest paper poppy.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Either way, it's always best to choose the simplest, modest, most elegant option in most situations. I've seen sparkly ones, oversized ones, club affiliated ones, services affiliated ones, ones on car bumpers, ones in windows and ones fashioned from silk. Nothing says we will remember them more succinctly than the modest paper poppy.

I do agree with you that the paper ones are the best, and more traditional.
But I find that badges etc.... are just as good :thumbsup:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I hope Worthing RBL has got its act together now. Street sellers have been conspicuous by their absence past couple of years. After days wandering around town trying to find one I went to google to contact the local RBL organiser / coordinator. I tracked down the number and called and got dog's abuse from the woman who answered the telephone because her husband "didn't do it any more"!

Anyways, not sure it really matters what style / size poppy you wear. Not sure the veterans in need give a toss either. What really counts is the money in the tin!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'm surprised the effects of the novichok haven't kicked in yet.

E8418C0C-9F67-4176-99C6-77DF3EBBAF3A.jpeg

I’m not daft, I’ve left it wrapped. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here