Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] McCarthy gone from Ipswich

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Very wrong - he was sacked at Wolves as they were going down, as they eventually did rock bottom so 2 out of 3. He was also at Ipswich and got them in to the play offs I think after taking them out of the relegation zone the season before.

He kept Wolves in the prem for 2 seasons and was sacked in the 3rd before they were relegated. A lifetime compared to some. So fair to say he has some Prem pedigree. As much as Hughton anyway.

As for Ipswich then when he joined they were in the Champ and nearly 6 years later, they are still there. So he didn’t , a few play offs aside, get them up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He kept Wolves in the prem for 2 seasons and was sacked in the 3rd before they were relegated. A lifetime compared to some. So fair to say he has some Prem pedigree. As much as Hughton anyway.

As for Ipswich then when he joined they were in the Champ and nearly 6 years later, they are still there. So he didn’t , a few play offs aside, get them up.

Matt Holland on the radio just then, said Ipswich's player payroll budget was the 5th lowest in the Championship.

MM over achieved.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Matt Holland on the radio just then, said Ipswich's player payroll budget was the 5th lowest in the Championship.

MM over achieved.

Agreed. I think he’s a good manager , his record shows that, and he did well at Ipswich to a certain extent given his budget. Although in the end - no promotion. He also saw through Leon Best in about 10 minutes.

I was illustrating to the OP that the glib summary - not a prem manager , gets teams up , can’t keep em up - was a bit more nuanced than that. It normally is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. I think he’s a good manager , his record shows that, and he did well at Ipswich to a certain extent given his budget. Although in the end - no promotion. He also saw through Leon Best in about 10 minutes.

I was illustrating to the OP that the glib summary - not a prem manager , gets teams up , can’t keep em up - was a bit more nuanced than that. It normally is.

Totally agree with all your points in this thread.

Ipswich followers said Keane went on a spending spree, which never paid off. The Ipswich owner reined in spending after that, giving MM next to no transfer budget in his 5 plus years. In a division where some clubs are spending on over £10m on single players.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Just the sort of manager Ipswich will need next season in League One

Mick M quite good as a pundit for BT re Wolves v Everton a few weeks ago - must be quite enjoying his time away from full time job at minute

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Mick M quite good as a pundit for BT re Wolves v Everton a few weeks ago - must be quite enjoying his time away from full time job at minute

Wonder if he’s doing any scouting for us.

Does seem good friends with CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

He was basically hounded out of Ipswich as they're another shitty club with ideas above their station. Seems that most fans didn't understand that keeping them safe from relegation with next to no money to chuck around was actually a great achievement. The six fingered twats.

He's a sound bloke.

Interesting rereading this thread that everyone was saying similar and predicting them to be relegated without him.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Have to admit to not really paying any attention to the Championship lately, this thread lead me to check the table. I had a chuckle at Reading's form.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have to admit to not really paying any attention to the Championship lately, this thread lead me to check the table. I had a chuckle at Reading's form.

Yes. It's quite the surprise to all of us who know the players in their squad. They have a crap Championship team, their relegation looks pretty certain at the moment but the concern is who they appoint to replace Clement when he is inevitably sacked. Reading are Brighton under Hyypia, dreadful recruitment and a manager with no clue. When Clement leaves, McCarthy will come in and then my 9/2 bet on their relegation is a busted flush. But all the time 00Clement is in place, they'll continue to lose every game without much danger of scoring a goal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ipswich fans in 606 and TS in phone-ins this season are incredibly arrogant and still very spiteful/ungrateful about Mick. They repeatedly state that they don't mind dropping divisions, because "the football is so much better than that under McCarthy". When put straight by the presenters about the relatively minute Championship budget he operated under, the proverbial ear-plugs go in ..... an inconvenient truth.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Ipswich fans in 606 and TS in phone-ins this season are incredibly arrogant and still very spiteful/ungrateful about Mick. They repeatedly state that they don't mind dropping divisions, because "the football is so much better than that under McCarthy". When put straight by the presenters about the relatively minute Championship budget he operated under, the proverbial ear-plugs go in ..... an inconvenient truth.
I hope the inbred twats get relegated. Along with Reading and Wednesday.

bob_monkhouse

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Jun 16, 2014
Liphook
Paul Hurst sacked with Ipswich bottom of the league. Wonder if the McCarthy haters are pleased with their progress since he left?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Poor bloke never had a chance. The get rid of their front two and left him with a load of youngsters. He was never going to be given enough time to turn that ship around. Just goes to show that they may not have enjoyed their style of football, but McCarthy got the best out of what he had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here