Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Point taken, but I meant his initial potential was picked up by our education system etc. He wa's not imported as a developed athlete as, for example, Zola Budd was.

Absolutely. I get your point. They picked him up.
His world class potential after a disappointing 2008 Olympics only materialised after winters of 'high altitude' training in East Africa and taking on an American 'athletic coach'. He certainly knows how to run and has put in the training miles to win the

Now I mustn't start on Usain Bolt ........

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
[MENTION=1997]modo[/MENTION]orbell on twitter for those of you not on the lovefest side of the fence.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wow. Just wow. The man is amazing. Arguably the greatest British athlete of all time? Whatever people might say about where he was born, he was developed by the British system. Amazing performance.

Arguably? Nah. Greatest, without doubt. He set out to win major medals, and has succeeded. Others had WR, as well as (fewer, many fewer) gold medals. A very few (Edwards, for example) still hold the WR in their event. But none come close to his ability to just keep winning the big races.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I'm relieved that Usada has, after four years, completed their investigation into Alberto Salazar. I left the Nike Oregon Project in 2017 but, as I've always said, I have no tolerance for anyone who breaks the rules or crosses a line. I'm glad there has finally been a conclusion."

- M Farah

giphy.gif

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The last 1500m of the womens 10K was completed in less than 4m by Sifan Hassan who won it. In context, the less than 4m bit is a respectable 1500m time let alone one after running 8.5K before it.

Her Trainer? Yep you've guessed it.

https://www.en24.news/2019/10/sifan...r-suspended-for-four-years-due-to-doping.html

I'm interested that Salazar has been done for doping but no athletes have. Presumably, he was doping himself.

If you miss the tests, you can't get done for doping.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't be at all surprised if those of us (me) who doubted Salazar's 'methods' many years ago got seriously derided and mocked for daring to cast a shadow over Mo's achievements.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you miss the tests, you can't get done for doping.
Obviously it's not that simple.

But if you happen to have your training camp in the arse end of nowhere, Africa, at the end of a very long single tracked road, which starts at a well subsidised 'friendly' village, seemingly it difficult to get tested.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Obviously it's not that simple.

But if you happen to have your training camp in the arse end of nowhere, Africa, at the end of a very long single tracked road, which starts at a well subsidised 'friendly' village, seemingly it difficult to get tested.

Its also difficult to get tested when you are in such a deep sleep that you can't hear someone stood there ringing your doorbell for an hour.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Its also difficult to get tested when you are in such a deep sleep that you can't hear someone stood there ringing your doorbell for an hour.

It’s also hard to be friends with Haile Gebrselassie if he won’t let your doctor, Mr Aden convicted of drug use in in 2016, stay in his hotel with you.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The BBC was jaw dropping last night. Nike Ambassador Paula Radcliffe thought Salazar was 'Pushing the boundaries' at his Nike Oregon Project whilst Nike Ambassador Steve Cram thinks fellow Nike athlete Mo Farah 'has done nothing wrong'

The same Steve Cram who gave Justin Gatlin absolute pelters. Amazing case of double standards

[tweet]103813283860482[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The BBC was jaw dropping last night. Nike Ambassador Paula Radcliffe thought Salazar was 'Pushing the boundaries' at his Nike Oregon Project whilst Nike Ambassador Steve Cram thinks fellow Nike athlete Mo Farah 'has done nothing wrong'

The same Steve Cram who gave Justin Gatlin absolute pelters. Amazing case of double standards

No British athlete has ever cheated...

...Other than all the cheating British athletes.

The double standards over this, in this country, are off the chart.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

It's not hard to understand why they adopted a different stance to Gatlin and Farah. Gatlin has been found guilty of taking banned substances, and been banned from athletics. Twice. Farah has never been caught, and is therefore innocent (unless and until he's proven guilty).

I see no double standards whatsoever.

Did Farah take banned substances/have infusions >50ml? I have no idea. Neither do you.

If he did, he deserves to have all his medals rescinded and to be pilloried, just like Gatlin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The same Steve Cram who gave Justin Gatlin absolute pelters.
Help me out with the double standards bit - have Mo Farah and Justin Gatlin both been found guilty of similar doping offences? And doesn't Nike sponsor Gatlin?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No British athlete has ever cheated...

...Other than all the cheating British athletes.

The double standards over this, in this country, are off the chart.
So how many of our athletes are guilty of cheating, and how does that compare with somewhere like the US?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Where is the double standard ?... Gaitlin has failed tests, Farah never has. If he fails a test then by all means jump all over him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here