Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The whole event was good fun and I feel better off for having gone. Whilst an older crowd it was more mixed in age than I anticipated, some real effort had gone into some outfits (even die Frau commented on there being some super-hot dressed-up chicks at the gig) and the "wrecking" dancing was quite amusing. The Meteors only played for just over an hour but this suited a newbie like me. I liked the "no politics, no religion, don't matter what music you're into" statement the singer made. I must admit at times the music did sound a bit rough though. A decent way to spend some time on a Friday night whilst having a few beers.

I've had two recent-ish experiments and preferred my dabble in the world of free-jazz.

:cheers:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gruff Rhys at St George's this Thursday. I am so looking forward to this. If you haven't got a ticket, burst a lung to get one. Or something.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not strictly live but is anyone else going to see The Nick Cave premier 20,000 days. It is on at a number of cinemas locally incl Komedia, Duke Of Yorks and Worthing Connaught this Wednesday. Screening is followed by a live satellite link to Cave playing some songs!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll add my two-penneth to the Royal Blood discussion. Thought I'd stick it here as opposed to the other 2 dedicated threads. Well, I saw them last night in the Privat Club in Kreuzberg. It was a hastily arranged live airing for a radio station in front of around 100-150 people. They played for 40 minutes and quite early, no encore and no prisoners. Their live sound in a small space is quite something and the bass-as-guitar thing makes more sense in a live situation; they're loud and they're brutal...especially the drummer who is from the John Bonham school of tubthumping. I can certainly see what all the fuss is about. They tick a lot of boxes plus they have a little bit of that indefinable magic ingredient you sometimes need in the music business.

I read Springal's critique. I totally see where he is coming from and I'm sure they have had a helping hand from their management company ....like most bands have. And the well-placed t-shirt certainly helped them but IMHO they still stand on their feet and I'm certain they would have still got to this stage without the help....only slower. As for airbrushing their past no big deal; I could list quite a few credible musicians who have removed crappy covers bands and the like from their CV. I am also way too old to worry about trends and hype in music and feel I can objectively see what it is that people, especially young people, are loving about this band. They might sound a bit like QOTSA but I wonder how many of the kids at the gig last night know this reference..RB might even prove to be a gateway. It's very easy for us to make these references but to a new and younger audience they are pointless markers - a bit like complaining the first Bloc Party album (or maybe Interpol :smile: ) sounds like Joy Division.

My only question is how will their sound and act translate onto bigger stages. In a small sweaty basement where you could directly hear the back-line and feel the drummer's pain it worked wonderfully. In a bigger venue with some distance between you and them I wonder.

I wish them all the best.

PS Mellotron, I refrained from shouting seagulls for two reasons. The first is they were both wearing ear-pieces so might not hear me. Second I worried it might get mistaken for Sieg Heil.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wallet prepared for another battering. Sometimes we are really spoiled down here, we really are.

If you get down to Resident today or tomorrow, your wallet will take less of a battering, as they're offering 'Super Early Bird' tickets at £55, before going on general release on Friday.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If you get down to Resident today or tomorrow, your wallet will take less of a battering, as they're offering 'Super Early Bird' tickets at £55, before going on general release on Friday.

Hoping to get down there before the close tonight. Need the trains to be on time though.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Wire and Swans collaborating is like some sort of wet dream. 2 of my favourite bands ever.

Roll on December.

Is Michael Gyra curating that? He's curating a similar Swans/Wire/Savages triple bill in Utrecht at the end of November (which sadly I shall miss as I have other commitments).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Drill festival is definitely going to fill 4 nights in December for me, just grabbed my super early bird

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here