Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The question reporters SHOULD have been asking stranded motorists

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Self employed isn't a choice for most in the construction industry, as most contractors will only take you on that way.

Was having this conversation with a guy today, the benefits of self employed have long gone, and we now seem the easiest targets for HMRC and main contractors

Why would you be the target of HMRC if you comply with tax rules?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Why would you be the target of HMRC if you comply with tax rules?

It would appear they are trying to get rid of sole traders and make everyone a limited company, so with Income tax as well as corporation tax, we will be paying a lot more than an 'employee' in the same job

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It would appear they are trying to get rid of sole traders and make everyone a limited company, so with Income tax as well as corporation tax, we will be paying a lot more than an 'employee' in the same job

I know this subject well. I can guarantee that you cannot pay as much tax and employees nic as someone stuck in employment (on the same gross income). As for sole traders, don’t believe the tittle tattle scare stories. These will always carry on. The only change coming being quarterly reporting of accounting data to HMRC, but you haven’t got to worry about that just yet.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Understand the argument re needing to work though risking your life and others for the sake of a day’s pay seems a bit disproportionate to me?

What I don’t understand is when people don’t make any effort to prepare for the conditions e.g. take warm clothes, food and drink, bring a spade etc., as appears to have been the case with many motorists?

That’s just rank stupidity.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Not taking precautions is ridiculous.

I'd imagine that many didn't imagine they were risking their lives when setting out. With the benefit of hindsight and all that...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And if I was an employer it's the risk my staff take by not living near their workplace so I wouldn't pay them.

Having lived in Newhaven and worked in Brighton for four years because I couldn't possibly afford to live in Brighton... I would say that most people don't live near their work places because they can't afford to, including most people who work in London, so arses to that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This. What percentage of those bods sitting on their backsides in expensive real estate in London actually need to be there 9-5, 5 days a week. Most spend their day stuck in front of a screen and on the phone, tasks that could be done at home.

100% right. My firm is going the other way quite heavily now - working from home at least a day a week is expected of everyone, two days is very common and some people more than that. They've put the IT infrastructure in place to make it work (decent laptops with integrated cameras for VC, good telephone/remote access software to facilitate etc etc). Appreciate it doesn't work for everyone, but if you have the setup/environment at home to be able to do it, and the discipline to work properly, it can be massively more efficient. I get way more done when I'm at home yet still have a better work/life balance as a result. Three hours saved by not travelling, many hours saved by not having inane conversations in the office, interrupted far less by people (there is an 'out of sight/out of mind element to it) etc etc. Of course the firm have worked out that they can reduce expensive office capacity this way too.............

I've got about 13 people that report directly to me, on any given day there will be a max of 2 of them in the same office - the rest are scattered all over so it really makes no difference where I am. It's rare for me to have any meeting, regardless of the number of people there, where everyone is in the same country, let alone the same building. WFH also allows me to flex times much better - calls with Asia early morning and Canada late pm for example (when I'd otherwise be on a train). I can nip out for a run or go to the gym any time during the day, between meetings etc.

I wouldn't take a job that required 5 day a week commuting any more, I've got too used to homeworking 1-2 days a week over the last few years.

I can also have meetings with Group General Managers whilst sat in my pants :laugh:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but knowing the OP's previous, if everyone had stayed at home instead he'd have posted a rant about how ridiculous it was that the whole country had shut down after a few flakes of snow.

But this was a RED WARNING of severe weather, not a Daily Express headline. It would have been enough to keep me at home if I'd travel plans in the affected areas.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Here's another heartwarming story of people coming to help stranded motorists .

download (1).jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Congratulations to the OP. A post denigrating the poorly informed without reference to their race, religion, ethnicity or gender (yet)

You've got a point there. I'll try to correct that by suggesting that there will have been many more male drivers stranded than female because female drivers are more likely to be sensible and not drive when warned not to. Can't think of a race, religion or ethnicity link at the moment, but I'll work on it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in Germany.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I know this subject well. I can guarantee that you cannot pay as much tax and employees nic as someone stuck in employment (on the same gross income). As for sole traders, don’t believe the tittle tattle scare stories. These will always carry on. The only change coming being quarterly reporting of accounting data to HMRC, but you haven’t got to worry about that just yet.

Thanks for that, good to know. Will be in touch on April 6th:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know this subject well. I can guarantee that you cannot pay as much tax and employees nic as someone stuck in employment (on the same gross income).

Unless you are paying dividends I don’t agree with this. Can you provide an example to show what you mean?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless you are paying dividends I don’t agree with this. Can you provide an example to show what you mean?

A self -employed mate of mine told me what he’d cleared last year in ‘real cash’..........not far off what my gross income was, but his tax bill was 10% of what mine was (captive employee if a big firm).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Served a lot of people right imo

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
100% right. My firm is going the other way quite heavily now - working from home at least a day a week is expected of everyone, two days is very common and some people more than that. They've put the IT infrastructure in place to make it work (decent laptops with integrated cameras for VC, good telephone/remote access software to facilitate etc etc). Appreciate it doesn't work for everyone, but if you have the setup/environment at home to be able to do it, and the discipline to work properly, it can be massively more efficient. I get way more done when I'm at home yet still have a better work/life balance as a result. Three hours saved by not travelling, many hours saved by not having inane conversations in the office, interrupted far less by people (there is an 'out of sight/out of mind element to it) etc etc. Of course the firm have worked out that they can reduce expensive office capacity this way too.............

I've got about 13 people that report directly to me, on any given day there will be a max of 2 of them in the same office - the rest are scattered all over so it really makes no difference where I am. It's rare for me to have any meeting, regardless of the number of people there, where everyone is in the same country, let alone the same building. WFH also allows me to flex times much better - calls with Asia early morning and Canada late pm for example (when I'd otherwise be on a train). I can nip out for a run or go to the gym any time during the day, between meetings etc.

I wouldn't take a job that required 5 day a week commuting any more, I've got too used to homeworking 1-2 days a week over the last few years.

I can also have meetings with Group General Managers whilst sat in my pants :laugh:

Now I know how you’ve managed 17,000 posts on NSC :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here