Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I hate to come over all US on everyone but I'm pretty convinced I'll wake up to completely clear pavements. Never mind, just the forecast has been enough to postpone my meeting and cancel my train tickets so it is WFH whatever :clap:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm going for up to a foot in some places tonight but sussex and surrounding to just get a dusting.

Lots of chaos.

Largely gone by 3pm

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well some bonus Snow showers today, considering that today was meant to be dry that bodes well for later on tonight and tomorrow!

The deeper instability is due to arrive later tonight which will enhance showers and group them together into bands or streams. Yes some places in West/East Sussex are going to miss out, that's the nature of an easterly unfortunately.

The MetOffice have extended their Amber warning for early tomorrow to include more of Sussex, I wouldn't be surprised to hear reports of 4 - 6 inches of snow especially if your in a sweet spot (streamer over you).

So the main course is still to come, then showers will tail off later on Wednesday before the snow/freezing rain/rain conditions later Thursday into Friday.

Warmer at the weekend by the looks of things (maybe - we won't know till after the 12z runs on Wed to firm up what is going to happen)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There's going to be some serious creaming of jeans on this thread later in the week methinks!!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Some cracking showers grouping together off the coast of Kent upto norfolk. If that follows the right path could be fun later

larus

Every forecast i look at is different (Met Office/BBC/iPhone) - Which is most reliable?

If you're looking for today/tomorrow then the use the Met Office site. If you're looking for later in the week, then the main models are giving different pictures based on their interpretation of the synoptics. Yesterday was doom and gloom and a definite breakdown to milder conditions here on Friday. This has now swung and is much more in the balance. Fine lines and all that :lol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This forecast was FLAKE news.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So are we going to get decent snow in East Sussex overnight tonight?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This forecast was FLAKE news.

Oh well done.

Looking forward to seeing a news presenter standing in 1mm of snow in the morning.
Lots of trains cancelled just in case.
Daily Mail quoting that the snow could be the end of the world and we are all going to die from snow blindness.
Pleased I got to see The Albion get to The PL in case we all fail to get through night.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh well done.

Looking forward to seeing a news presenter standing in 1mm of snow in the morning.
Lots of trains cancelled just in case.
Daily Mail quoting that the snow could be the end of the world and we are all going to die from snow blindness.
Pleased I got to see The Albion get to The PL in case we all fail to get through night.

I heard this earlier, I thought they used to run "Ghost Trains " to keep the rails free of ice, now they cancel trains " just in case " ? rolling stock ? laughing stock more like !

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I heard this earlier, I thought they used to run "Ghost Trains " to keep the rails free of ice, now they cancel trains " just in case " ? rolling stock ? laughing stock more like !

They do, but if it's heavy wet snow then no amount of running of sleet trains is going to keep the lines open. On the Underground each stock have de-icing units on the front of the trains, but again if the snow is heavy enough then even a train travelling through area every 5 mins won't make a difference and in the end we'll have a reduced or suspended service to stop trains and passengers getting stuck. The problem after the snow is compacted ice preventing the shoes underneath the trains picking up the electrical current. The newer stocks have by and large solved this problem, but the older ones still struggle. It maybe a joke, but it is what it is, not much will change.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They do, but if it's heavy wet snow then no amount of running of sleet trains is going to keep the lines open. On the Underground each stock have de-icing units on the front of the trains, but again if the snow is heavy enough then even a train travelling through area every 5 mins won't make a difference and in the end we'll have a reduced or suspended service to stop trains and passengers getting stuck. The problem after the snow is compacted ice preventing the shoes underneath the trains picking up the electrical current. The newer stocks have by and large solved this problem, but the older ones still struggle. It maybe a joke, but it is what it is, not much will change.

Thanks for that, am I right in thinking that steam engines had less problems ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BBC weather tonight looking like it's a flash in the pan. Certainly for Worthing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here