Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Leavers

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Didn't like leaving a few minutes early last night, as I've stayed until the final whistle every single game....BUT....I had to get the kids home, & then go back into Brighton to pick the missus & her mate up from the Kaiser Chiefs gig, so unavoidable last night unfortunately. Does that make me a bad fan now? I'd like to think it makes me a caring father & husband tbh....

After waiting over half an hour for the P&R after the Reading game, I'd already decided to leave a few minutes early last night, regardless of what the score was. Those few minutes made a huge difference, so I can understand why others do it regularly...but I would never have a go at them, or slag them off on a forum (time after time....YAWN) as it really doesn't bother me what other people do, or why.

I'll admit that football is just a game to me, not my life - and while I shout & cheer the team on while Im there, it seems pretty childish for grown adults to be getting so worked up about what total strangers do tbh.

You do what you have to guys, & leave others to do what they want to do. Bigger problems in the world than seeing out a football game.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Same goes for rushing for catering on 40 mins and not getting back to your seat until 50. I'm there to watch the football so don't plan on missing any of it buying food or drinking - but that's my choice. I actually find this harder to understand than leaving early.

Couldn`t agree more..

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Got home just before midnight, having, as ever, stayed to the (unusually bitter) end. Find it odd that some leave on 88 minutes (odder than 80, in some respects) but I find it odder still that some people get so angry about it - to the point of shouting at strangers in the ground, or crying on the internet for days afterwards.

One point I'll add to the fray - don't assume that everyone leaving early 'doesn't care'. There was a chap sat (rarely sat, actually) a few rows in front of us in the ESL last night, who was clearly feeling the magnitude of the occasion. He celebrated the goal like we'd won the World Cup in injury time. Used many words not strictly encouraged when the ref made a call he didn't like. Looked like his house had burnt down when the equalizer went in. This guy clearly, clearly CARED very much indeed. He left with a couple of minutes of injury time remaining - I'm certain because he just couldn't bear to witness the away celebrations.

Each to their own.

I think this is the case with most of the early leavers. Call me precious but I can understand that sinking feeling when you just want to write the evening off, get into bed and pretend you hate football for a few hours.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I got ripped a new one a while ago, when I questioned about early leavers.
So after talking to people at the home games, I've more of an understanding on the Q' should I stay or should I go.
I've paid my money to watch the Albion, and I'll get my money's worth till the end.
If people want to leave early, well that's their choice.
On a lighter note, if did leave early, then you missed the wonderful horn section in the Bridge St car park last night, not quite in unison but it took the edge off last night's defeat.

fatshats

Feb 23, 2012
People leave games early. I do occasionally for a midweek game to get back home to North London. I try not to, but it's a fact of life sometimes. I'd rather watch 88 minutes than none at all on those occasions.

The problem with last night (and I felt more angry about it that anything that happened on the pitch) was that it was an instantaneous reaction to their goal going in - about 20% of the ground just got up and walked out. You might not have meant it, but the signal to the players on the pitch from that action is unambiguous - we've given up on you and you're not going to get an equaliser. Well I was at Brentford and I can tell you this - that a passionate crowd willing a team on can and does make a difference, and at that moment last night, in the biggest game of the season when we went behind with two minutes left, your team needed you to stay and support them.

I guess there is a distinction these days between spectators and supporters. Support was what our boys needed after that sickening blow, and if you got up to leave, whatever the reason and however benign, unfortunately you chose not to support them in that moment. If you doubt that this has an impact, then the reaction of Glenn Murray (which you wouldn't have seen as you had your backs turned) should tell you all you need to know.

UTA

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Left home early but still Mithras was full. Had to drive to Race Course which was packed. In the long queue for the bus all I kept hearing was "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week".
On the bus, by now 7:15 and thinking I might miss KO but still I hear "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week".
Amex and running to get in, queue at entrance to be searched (I have total respect and expect to be searched for my safety) "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week".
Straight to my seat as the teams come out and surrounded by unknowns who have never been to the Amex before "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week".
1:1 and luckily most of the "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week" decide to go home and as the mist clears all that's left on 90 minutes are the die hard ST fans around me who do do it every week.
Back to the bus queue which is now longer than I've ever seen it "is it always like this?. Don't think I'd want to do this every week". Couple behind me plan an exit strategy. "Look, there's one bus. We could be here hours. Call for a taxi". "can I get a taxi from the football ground please, where are we? I don't know, I'm at the football ground, I don't know where to go to meet you". Giggles from others around me.
Got home one and half hours later than normal. If this is the Premier League, not sure I want it

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I stayed until the end last night. Does this now mean I am in positive fan credit having left West Ham away after half an hour and Southampton away after an hour a few seasons ago?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They are paid handsomely to stay though aren't they.

Yes. That'll be it. All about the money. Nothing to do with fight, determination and the essential belief in sticking together to the very last whistle that characterises all successful clubs.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Fans leaving early is a symptom of the travel issues.

But what can be done to further ease those issues?

The club already does more than most through the free travel scheme.

So what more can be done to ensure more fans stay until the final whistle?

One road in and out of the stadium site is a nightmare, so is it feasible to add an extra entrance/exit for buses? Perhaps leading directly onto the roundabout on the Falmer Road

Alternatively, is is possible to provide an additional entrance/exit for traffic down the hill past Virgin active, towards Falmer High School?.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Boring thread.

It's a free country. People leave for all sorts of reasons. Get over it.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This is it, exactly. Too many supporters, sitting down expecting to be entertained. Not enough fans, who will get on their feet and follow their team through thick and thin. The demographics at the Amex would also terrify me if I was involved in long term planning at the club. #Old #White #Middle Class #Fickle

What has race got to do with it? You dickhead.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The atmosphere was excellent tonight. The fans more than did their bit to be the twelfth man.
Agreed.

For Glenn to be dismissive of the few that left when the second went in is a tad harsh. IMO
I haven't heard it, assume he was in a bad mood like the rest of us, so fair enough.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've long since ceased being concerned by it. I'd rather it didn't happen, but that's just not living in the real world (and in my time going to football it has always happened to a degree anyway). Many of those who left early, for whatever reasons, would have contributed to a cracking atmosphere whilst they were there, so trying to lump them all into a 'fake consumer' pigeonhole just doesn't stack up. The transport issues are very real and pretty bad, exacerbated when we get the bigger crowds (I only just made it in time for k/o last night having left in plenty of time), it's the one thing all visiting supporters moan about, and often with good reason. I have no idea how it can be improved, but improvement is needed somehow.

Having said all that, I can understand Murray's frustration and reaction last night, and it's good to see he clearly cares. It must be demoralising for players when they've given their all to see such an exodus as soon as we go behind, but it happens everywhere, especially the bigger clubs (and yes, we are in that category). A bi-product of success is having new fans and occasional attendees who are there for 'the event'. I'd much rather be in this situation than playing in a sub-standard ground at a lower level to 6k 'faithful'. So, my advice would be just to stop worrying and fixating about it. Turning on fellow supporters is only going to lead to a toxic atmosphere, and as many have said, unless you know why someone is leaving early it's not right to sit in judgement.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The demographics at the Amex would also terrify me if I was involved in long term planning at the club. #Old #White #Middle Class #Fickle

Historically the club have never had as many child supporters as they do now.

It's a good job the demographics you mention turn out as they do, paying amongst the highest prices in the Championship to financially support the club to employ good players that have us 2nd in the table. Or would you prefer to have around 10,000 'hard core' rattling around the Amex every week?

Also, I'm sure we both agree that we go to the football to be entertained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here